Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-02-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
I need to replace my starter and solenoid on my 99 air nautique. Can anyone tell me the part number or any information so that I can get the part from NAPA or Car quest? I tried looking in the owner's manuals for the engine and boat but had no luck. Thank you!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
What motor do you have?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
I think it is probably a Wilson #91-02-5846 or 91-02-5846N(new verson, probably chinese). Wilson makes Napa starters and alternators. Napa should be able to use that number. If not tell them it is a 9240 or 9283. Another number a lot of rebuilders use and just about anybody can use to lookup is the lester number. Should be able to use Lester # 3205 or 3268.

This starter should be the one for a GT40 or pretty much any PCM Ford 351 with LH engine rotation. The starter itself is a clockwise 10 tooth. If you have the old starter with remote solenoid though it might have a different tooth count. Make sure and compare before installing.
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks. Yea it's the GT-40. I'll look into those parts thanks for your time!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that a car starter is NOT the same as a marine starter. Something to do about the venting of the case so the marine starter doesn't spark & ignite gas fumes in your engine compartment.... which is not a problem in a car.

You should be able to find a local shop who will rebuild your old starter for around $100..... which should be like 1/2 what a new unit would cost you.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-08-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Keep in mind that a car starter is NOT the same as a marine starter. Something to do about the venting of the case so the marine starter doesn't spark & ignite gas fumes in your engine compartment.... which is not a problem in a car.

You should be able to find a local shop who will rebuild your old starter for around $100..... which should be like 1/2 what a new unit would cost you.
While that can be done most rebuilders are just going to do what we like to call "a paint and pray" They will probably replace the brushes, maybe the solenoid and clean it up.

Here is a link to the Wilson I was talking about. It shows a reference from a PCM number and also mentions it is for auto and marine use. you can even see the sticker on it that says it is a marine starter. The rebuilt unit should be $75-85 tops at a napa and the new should be $110 tops. If it is much more they are raping you.

If you have an autoplus near you they will sell the unit as a superior or endurance unit which is a BBB unit which is the same as a Wilson. The lester numbers will reference the starter. Add an N to the end of it and it will refernce the new version.