Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
I think my current board, the CWB Ride, has taken me as far as it can so now I am looking for a new one. I am 5'10 165lbs and ride behind an average sized wake (2000lbs in a 22SSV).

I want something very durable like the CWB board. I was thinking that the CWB Tsunami or the Liquid Force Custom Thruster might be the next step up.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Another board I am looking at is the Ronix Koal.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
take a look at a wakesurf brand, inland surfers are durable blue lake or yellow loogie / sweet spot are all good boards for your size. Look around their are deals on older or used ones sometimes if you are looking to save money.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Shred stixx Ja Mako, was my progression from the yellow loogie. I love the drive and recovery or the ja mako.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-09-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
At 165 pounds, you may want to try a ShredStixx "Thresher" The JaMako is really for larger guys (185+)
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
john- the new ronix boards are NOT durable...you sneeze on them and they dent, if you are looking for durablility, the new Ronix's are not for you. A local dealer has also tried to get a couple of them warrantied because of 'normal' use damaging them and Ronix basically told them 'tough'. I rode the new Koal and liked it a lot and has a lot of potential, but during our brief demo session (with 3 experienced wakesurf peeps, no beginners) the board had a pretty good size ding that we can only attribute to the surf rope handle hitting the board???
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
btw- kind of an old school board that I like and surprisingly able to ride (I'm 6'1" 250lbs) is the hyperlite coex.

A few 'new' boards that i have heard great things about from others in my crew but haven't ridden myself-

the new cwb-razer (for bigger guys)
inland surfer- sweet spot
triple xxx- (forgot which model)

of course, cant go wrong w/shred stixx, walkers or the phaze 5 oogle.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Don't buy a wakeboard company's wakesurfing offering unless you're looking for more than a minimal improvement in performance.

As someone that knows a little about board design I can say with confidence that presently none of them are producing properly thought out boards. IMO the wakeboard manufacturers are relying more on existing sales avenues than putting out a quality product.

Enough is enough, no more boards that barely work. Vote with your dollar for real equipment. (and keyboard)

It would really help if people start expressing their disappointment with their local proshop. They're only carrying what they do because it's easier to buy all their boards from 1 place and we need to let them know we aren't interested in that junk.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 09, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Greg,
I am 170-175 and I think the thresher is only really surfable with an huge surf wave. It's just a little small for me, but the ja mako is a great all around board. None of my friends who are around my weight or less like the thresher as much as the ja mako. You can get airs on it, and you can also teach people on it. There are many other great boards out there too but I have only ridden a handful.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-09-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
I would stay clear of the lf custom also.
You look at it the wrong way and it dents!!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Are the Shred Stixx boards durable?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-09-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Duffy; Your correct about the "Thresher" if your wake is on the smaller size. The JaMako is a bit wider, therfor will work better with a smaller wake.

John; The Epoxy boards that ShredStixx sells are durable with normal care. You don't want to just throw it around the boat though. Ride it, and rack it. I have 4 differant ShredStixx, and have only had damage on one, due to my own stupidity. I had it leaning up in my garage, and my bike fell over into it, knocking it down onto a sharp edge. Easily repaired, and back on the water in no time!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Yeah most of their boards are epoxy. I believe walker boards(if ordered that way) and also inlands are also epoxy covered. My ja mako is super tough. But still it can be dented, dinged or broken, so you still be careful with it.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I like to put my board in the wake surfer rack on the side of my tower when I am done surfing and it is time to take the kids out on the tube. I have been told that the softer boards will get damaged in the rack so I do not want a soft board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Any new ja mako( or other epoxy surfboard) would be tough enough for your rack. At some point shred stixx switched over to epoxy(If i'm wrong will someone step in.)I stick my non-epoxy comp1 in a rack and there are no pressure dings or dents in it. Hope this helps. Most of the higher level boards are great. You need to just find a board that fits your preferences.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Two other thoughts on taking care of your boards and protecting them from damage.

First, if you do put your wakesurf boards in a rack make sure it fits properly.

Jamming a wakesurf board into a wakeboard rack is not a proper fit. It will likely damage the mat and the forks on a wakeboard rack usually are not long enough and may damage the underside of the board when the boat bounces in rough water.

Also when the wakesurf boards are not in a rack they should be in a bag.

Wakesurf racks like Niceracks have enough space between them that you can put two boards on a double rack even if they have big fins.

Just my opionion.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-09-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
"Endless Wave" Surf racks are the best for thicker, surf style boards.
http://endlesswavesurfrack.com/index.html

(Message edited by leaks on July 09, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I have a nice rack, and it works great, my only complaint is the rubber marks the surf boards.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
I have got one of these racks http://www.bulletlines.com/surf-board-tower-rack-p/1103.htm The length of the forks are about 12".

After a little more research I think I have narrowed it down to the Shred Stixx Thresher or the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
John trust me on this, get a ja mako. I ride both alot and if your in the 160 range the board is almost too small. You will have to pump alot to stay with the boat. Where do you live? You should find a local dealer and test ride some boards.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
I am in Victoria, BC, Canada. I do not have a local dealer where I can test ride a board.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
www.thewalkerproject.com
@ your height and weight

Bullet 4'8"
or
Comp X 4'6"

Fun fast and durable.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
What about the Piranha, it sounds like a board that will fit everyone?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have never ridden one so your guess is as good as mine. I just love the Ja Mako! I can get pretty good air on it!
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-10-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Anyone want to trade a brand new never ridden thresher for a jamako. Bought it during the winter but it may be too small for me since I weight about 180
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I am set up to ride with a guy on Sunday who has access to the thresher, ja mako and custom comp. I will try them all then decide.

This is going to be fun!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Heck yeah, I ride all 3 of those boards almost weekly and the comp1 is awesome, but very different to ride. I guess it depends on your level. Have some fun:-)
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-10-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
I am about 180-185lbs and have a vlx with a good wake. Right now I have a walker CompX 5. Would you recommend the jamako tresher shred stiff comp or walker bullet. I picked up a tresher I need to try but may take it back or sell it. That's why I haven't tried it yet.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-14-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hey boys, I am back from the Shredder demo and I ended up purchasing the Thresher. The ja mako was definately easier to ride but the more I was on the thresher the more I liked it. These boards are so loose and fast as compared to my cwb ride.

One question though, there is a small hole (1/8" x 1/16") in the tip of my board from the plane ride home. It looks like it was dropped. How should I repair it?
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
John,

For a chip of that size, I would probably just seal it up with some epoxy, and then sand it down. I had this same thing happen to one of my boards, and I just used epoxy to fix the little dings. It seemed to work out pretty well.

I know there was another post on here showing people how to repair the boards. I can't seem to find it right now, hopefully someone else will chime in with that post.

Have fun with the Thresher!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-14-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have a nose gaurd on my ja mako, and seems to work great. Have fun surfing the thresher!
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Duffy,

Where do you get a hold of nose guards? I would like to put them on my boards! I think that is a great option!

Jon T
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-14-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Just google surfboard nose gaurds. There are tons and tons of options.
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
Will Do, Thanks!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-14-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I purchased a surf board fix kit called "Quick Fix". I filled the hole on the tip of my board with the epoxy filler. Looks like it will work out. I am going to get one of those nose guards on the board as well.
Old     (winebu)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Hey John,

Fellow rider from Kelowna here. Do you have any information on where to purchase shred stixx boards here in western canada? I can only find one dealer in Quebec. Demoing boards would be nice!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-20-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Leon, I met with the distributer in Montreal and he wants me to sell boards on the coast for him. I will be in Osoyoos from the 26th of July until the 31st if you would like to demo my thresher.

How much do you weigh and what board are you looking for?
Old     (winebu)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Thanks John for the info, I will let you know if I can make it down. Right now I ride 2 boards - yellow loogey and phase 5 prop. Both are good but would like to get a better one. Weight is 180 and have been riding for 7 years, so I'm looking for a more advanced board.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-20-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
You weigh too much for the Thresher so coming to try my board will not be worth our time.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-20-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
Hey John:

I have a thresher and also weight about 185lbs. I have never ridden it because I heard it might be too small and I was thinking about returning it. Will I not be able to ride it and will it be a pain to stay in the pocket. I've heard that guys around 180lbs can ride them thats why I bought it but now am having second doubts.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-20-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
I weight close to 180. And the thresher is a little tough to stay in the pocket, but we have had better luck with the 438 fins and no trailer. It helps with pumps. The board rocks for anyone around the 150 or so range. Ja mako is a sick board for heavier guys.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-20-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
The Thresher is a brand new board so should I sell it and get a Limted Edition Series 1 board. Would that be better then the Thresher for my weight limit. Right now I have a Walker CompX 5.0
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-20-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
I have a buddy that kills it on my comp1 and he is around 180. I think my comp 1 might be a little different than the stock one though. I weight 170-175 and the comp1 rocks! I also love my ja mako, I can get air and it rocks with mid sized waves. Upload
Old     (winebu)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Anybody tried a comp 1 LE? Comments vs. Comp 1?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Hopefully Alec can comment. The comp1 is so fragile, that's my only complaint with it.