Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (wakeinnc)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-04-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
What are the top Wakeboarding areas in NC?

If I wanted to start a small Wake Boarding Business (Training, Team-oriented)... What area would have the largest Market?

Thanks...
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-04-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
My thinking would be the Charlotte area, probably Lake Norman, Very large market.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-04-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Adam Fields runs a camp on Lake Gaston during the summmer months and then moves to Florida in the winter. He isn't in the most populated area but is on a beatiful lake and does very well.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-04-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I ride on lake Norman with my friend Stephen and we are the only riders who are really commited. Everyone else is beginners and not as interested. It seems like every one on lake Norman wakeboard just not seriously
Old     (wakeinnc)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-05-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input... It seems like the Carolina Wake Series has really helped to push the sport forward!
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-05-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
yah and The NC INT league is big too.
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-05-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
me and my friends all ride seriously all the time on high rock lake

but the wake scene is crap
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
actually, there is some talent on the Davidson County side of High Rock, near sheets bottom. You got the High Rock Hustler Crew and some people that compete (and win ) in the local INT events. The scene is small compared to Norman. Where do you ride, Blake. I am on the Rowan County side near Tamarac Marina
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Taylor...way to trash your entire lake...there is acctually quite a bit of skill on LKN its just there are a lot of idiots out there that make it seem like there is no skill. Sure there are a lot of beginners but hey..you started there too
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Probably a toss between R-D and Charlotte. Both are sizable markets with tons of water recreation. Charlotte has lots of dedicated riders both beginner and advanced, I just don't think its a very organized wake scene. I think we also have a slightly longer riding season.

Endofropegang.com is a forum dedicated to the Northern NC wake scene and you should check it out for info on whats happening up there.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-07-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
919 baby!!!
Old    benj_t            07-07-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
yea we have a place on high rock and there are some pretty good riders there. also i ride on tuckertown in our "secret cove". sorry i cant tell yall where it is cause i like the glass
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   
I live in Charlotte as well and agree with what's already been stated about it not being very organized. From what I've seen out on Wylie and Mt. Island there seems to be a lot of wakeboats and people interested in it. A friend of mine who works at Mastercraft of Charlotte tells me they've been doing quite well, even with the spiking gas prices. I know they just opened a store up in the Mooresville area...
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
"organized wake scene", are you talking about sanctioned events?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Not really, though thats a part of it. I meant more along the lines of a place (online) that local riders organize....like EORG or the local threads on WW. You know....a place to meet new folks, find/offer/trade pulls, ride with different crews, etc, etc. All the things that make up the grassroots of wakeboarding.
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, I would like to see some of that too.

Sounds like we need a someone to host a website. I know nothing about how to do it...
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
endofropegang
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
im on the other side of the bridge right across from the tamerac, in-between fishermans cove and tamahawk cove,

i did INT last year and came first place in the two of the competetions i rode (in novice)

im just sixteen and im getting pretty good this summer so far because i can drive down whenever and ride, but i got a tantrum and and a few other tricks

but if you ever see us out in our 1988 sn2001 with monster tower comem say whats up
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-10-2008, 4:39 AM Reply   
I am actually and Admin on EORG. Lots of good people on the site. We do lots of get-togethers and things as well!

www.endofropegang.com
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2008, 3:11 AM Reply   
In case any of you guys missed this thread - this is actually a pretty cool deal.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/53686/598848.html?1215533176

Free pull behind a mastercraft every wed. evening down on Wylie. If you're considering buying a wakeboat you can't beat this...
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-11-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Blake, I'll keep an eye out, Im in the white and red Centurion Hurricane
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-11-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Wakeboard Wednesdays!

Lee is a great guy. I think he ran it last year too. I haven't been yet, but hope to soon.

That is my dealer, so would I be a mooch to hit him up for a pull?

just found this in a different thread
http://www.wakeridersconnection.com/

(Message edited by ridesdirt on July 11, 2008)
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Yeah he was doing it last year as well. I got a chance to go out a couple of times and it was a real cool deal. Lee is awesome, really cool of him to step up and make stuff like this happen..
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-11-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
southtownriders has a very active camp on Wylie. www.southtownriders.com
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-11-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
My son has been to the Southtown camp, it is for kids only. Very cool thing the Southtown guys have going on. I like them a lot. And you are right, it is very active!
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-14-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Southtown does private lessons for adults and are awesome guys to hang out with as well.
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-14-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Yeah, I plan on talking to Danny about it after we are done with family vacations
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-15-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Danny is an awesome guy. I was having an engine issue with my boat two weeks ago. I ran into to him while at the gas station and casually mentioned the noise I was hearing. Next thing I know he is in the boat with the engine cover off checking it out. He tells me to try replacing the fuel filter before I take it to the dealer. $14 dollars at NAPA and she runs like new. He gave me some education and saved me a costly trip to the dealer. It just goes to show that you need to SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BOARD SHOP! The new 22 they are rollin in is sweet too if you have not seen it yet.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-15-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
has anyone ever seen a all blue moomba in lake wylie i see these guys in our cove all the time....jus wondorin
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-15-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Southtown Riders are a great group of people!!

We came down to Lake Wylie from VA and they took us out on their boat and gave the kids wakeboarding and surfing pointers. We had nine people in the boat, plus it was loaded w/ballast. Danny's pregnant wife was in the boat with us and was due any day!

We always come to the Charlotte Boat Show in the winter just to buy our gear from them.

Can't go wrong dealing with those guys.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2008, 4:06 AM Reply   
Grant what cove do you ride in? I have seen a few moomba's out there. I am just trying to remember what color's they are. It has been a few weeks since I rode Wylie.

I agree with most in saying Wylie and Norman have a lot wakeboard boats but nothing is organized.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
i ride in beverdam cove,right now i cant ride because are boats transmission went out.....hopely we will have a wakeboard boat next summer but it all depends on how fast are other one sells
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
The blue moomba probably is Kevin. He lives at the beginning of the cove on the left. Tall skinny guy with curly hair. He can go super big and out in the flats. Nice guy. I used to ride up in beaver but I have not gone up that way yet. Still finding decent water south. Grant, if you see me in your cove just flag me down for a pull.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Ya Kevin has one and I believe there is another blue and black moomba also. My memory sucks so I could be wrong. We also ride in that cove some, blue SN2001, dont be afraid to stop us either. Nathan do you go to the south sandbar?
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yeah, I was there Saturday in fact. We stayed for about 3 hours and then rolled out which is unusual for us. We just usually roll in grab food from the weenie boat and go back to boarding. Love the bbq sandwich!!!! Yum. I have been to NC sandbar but that place has too many drunk idiots. I like having good time but wow! I am surprised I have not ran into you yet.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
By the way. Love your pic. I have done that many times. My buddy just got a wakeskate for the boat this past weekend. Tons of fun. Except the wrecks are very awkward and can hurt. Took a nice slap to the junk. But overall a good time.
Old     (athenswake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Anyone ride early morning on Lake Norman?
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I am only on Wylie.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
ya hes pretty crazy...and nathan,i seen you at the sandbar in little allison.we had a big yellow speedboat with a purple tribel design,thats the one were trying to sell but you will usally see us in a supra comp with a black pole,its nothin special but sometimes we put some weight in it and the wakes alright.... and raymond,im pretty sure ive seen a blue and black moomba but i dnt think ive seen your boat this summer but idk i might have i also ride in crowders creek cove every once in a while
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
We get up to LKN a couple weekends/mo. I'm usually sittin on the dock ~7am looking at butter and wishing I had a driver.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Grant...I did see your boat. I just glanced at it because it was loud and bright. Could not miss it coming. Nice. Try boarding behind it??? What a rush that would be! Next time you see me just come on over and I will give you a pull. Our wake is dialed in for fun. I should know, I have eaten it several times trying to act like I am good and wakeboarding.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
ya ill do that,but no ive never tried but its got a great wake but no tower or pole or nothing so i would just get pulled down
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
I dont have any real good pics of the boat. This is one from when I bought it. It now has black tower speakers on it and I dont have the bimini fixed yet so it isnt on there. Upload

I was on vacation Sat down on lake hartwell. We hit the sandbar for a hour or so on the weekends but not to long. The last time there, we tied up with Kevin and Seth ( owns a Monterey{sp}). I tend to ride more in the early morning weekends and after 3 or 4 weekdays.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-17-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
alright ill keep a look out for you....and that boat does look a little familier,ive probaly seen it out before
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
I have seen you then. I am just not that familiar with Nautique models when you kept saying '01 model. That tower looks tall. I bet you get some good air. I know Seth. "Bad Fish" is the name of his boat right? I am all about riding early on Sat and Sun I just can't seem to get my people going. I used to ride after work on Thursdays but have not done that in a while. I will PM you the next time we try to do an early morning run. My lake schedule is chaotic these days with a 5 month old so it is usually at last minute notice.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Ya the tower is tall. It looks a lot better in person.
It is an 84 SN2001. It keeps the job done for sure.
Seth is a friend og my Girlfriends, so we have met up out there a few times.
Most of the time in the mornings in it just Val and I and then the others start showing up 10ish or so.
My schedule has been crazy to, just bought a house etc. But I live 3 mins from T-bones so it makes life a lot easier.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Yeah - well I would be there at sunrise if it werent for my 'better half'...
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
LOL, I know the feeling. Wife: are you really going to go wakeboard that early. Me: yes. Wife: why would anyone do that! Me: Can't explain its just like being a heroine addict. Wife: Ugggg you drive me crazy! Me: Love you to see you around 11am!

My buddy has the best come back and I do not know how he is still living this day. He tells his wife: You got two options...
1. You can get over it and
2. You can get over it

He is very brave man.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
LOL David is your better half the woman or the beer? :-)

I guess I am lucky, my woman gets out there with me at 7am and brings the beer :-) She even fractured 2 ribs and still goes out there to drive for me!

The biggest thing is she can put up with David! :-)
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Raymond you got your self a keeper there. Do your better halves wakeboard as well? My wife just learned before she got pregnant and has not started back yet. I love to watch her board even though she just learned. Its cool to share that with her.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Ya Val rides. She was working on her in and out one wake jumps with she caught the nose and took a hard fall. That is what fractured her ribs. She has been out for about 2 weeks. It is great seeing them enjoy it as much as we do.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-17-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
My girl is definitely the more 'finicky' one if you will... She likes to ride, but she's also a big fan of just hanging out in the sun and putting back some cold ones. I've been trying to get her to cross the wakes but she does the whole, get up and immediately edge out heelside and stay there move most often.

Raymond you know what kind of beer I drink, and I would think you'd know that's probably my worst half :-).
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
Nose digger. Ooooohhh. The worst. Hope she is back up riding soon.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-18-2008, 4:00 AM Reply   
She is doing a lot better. She will prob not be riding for a few more weeks though, if she puts any kind of pressure on her right side it still hurts.

David that isnt even consider beer is it? :-)