Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (XChris1632X)      Join Date: May 2010       06-28-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Since I just brought home my new 01 xstar, my buddies figured they would get their own boards. We all learned on a early 2000's Motive that was a bit on the heavy side but seemed very stable. My buddy decided he would buy a Motive because we figured it was a good starting point. As soon as each of us tried it we thought something was wrong. None of use could really even control the board. I have never been on anything so slippery. Did they change anything about them? I dont know if one of the boards have different center fins, but they look the same as I remember. I just dont know what the problem is or if I can do anything to change it. Everything I have read confirms that the motive is supposed to be a bigginer board, yet my buddy with 12 years in, cant even land a jump on it. Are they all like this now? This is a 2010 model bought from EVOGEAR.com
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-28-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
I've been riding the Motive for years. It's the first board that I stuck with after probably 8 years of going through other boards. I ride a 140 behind the boat and a 134 on the cable. I use no center fin and can edge well enough to throw air tricks on the cable. I'm 165 lbs, 54 years old, and have been WBing for 15 years. IMO the Motive is slippery when not on an edge and grips well when on an edge.

The only thing I can think is it doesn't fit your style or you just need to get used to it.
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-28-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
I've got a 06' Motive and it's not really loose. It came with a 2.1" center fin and it wouldn't break loose. I put a 1.3 P-wing Or A-wing (i can't remember what it is) and it's still good but when I get sloppy with my edging technique it gets loose. Overall I think it's a good board but i am looking to upgrade to something else.
Old     (MoombaRiderJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 5:02 AM Reply   
I just got into wakeboarding about 3-4 years ago. I rode that entire time on an old Blindside board very basic setup and rocker. It taught me the basics, but my point being this year I bought an 08 Motive and the difference is amazing. I feel great control, surface switching is easier, landing from big air much softer, excellent pop and the board moves great. I don't feel out of control unless I let my form get a little sloppy. I'm still learning of course, but I think this was a great move for me to step up to more intermediate tricks.