Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
I am sure that tower height is an industry standard and aftermarket ones follow. If I were to make one though or have one where the pylon is higher than the standard, would that be a problem? I guess is a tower a speicifc size and height for a reason, can the angle of the line but too high if the pylon is higher. I just rememeber a thread with a picture of one made out of wood and was curious how critical the height of the tow point is?Any ideas?
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-21-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Also, for people that have made towers what did you make them out of and how well did it work? We're thinking of making one out of muffler pipe. Not sure if it would flex badly or not.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Most people have not had luck making "good" looking towers. However, I can think of a couple on here that made some very nice looking ones, but only after they spent quite a bit. I would say...just get a monster...not to kill the diy rush, because I love that stuff, but it will probably be harder than it is worth.

As far as the pylon height, I have no idea.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
The height question just has me stumped. See I have a problem, I bought a universal tower and it looks great but it seems to just sit lower than other boats I have been on with a tower. But we can raise the pylon up with this tower like 12 inches from where it was orignally designed. I am just not sure if that is a bad thing.

As for the exhaust pipe, the wall thickness is not as big as other towers but if the diatmer is large enough, it could be done. The Monster tower is nice and my tower in question is a skylon swoop tower. Looks sweet but also seems to low. It's on my buddys boat and we only want to drill once, cause even that thought is just scary.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Carson muffler pipe would flex way to badly. i would not recommend using it. that stuff is to thin we had a buddy bend a 5' section by setting on it...
Old     (chainboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
yeah muffler pipe is only meant for exaughst. Now I have seen someone go from a standard tower and then add like a a 5 ft extention to it so it was like a total of 15 feet off the water It was insane the kind of air this guy got and after he did a double up was just insane. but tower height is somewhat standard just boat hight differs.