Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
I noticed that the brake line between the two wheels on my trailer was busted, so I replaced it this weekend. I jacked up the front wheels that have brakes and noticed that a skeg from the boat was sitting right on the axle - right where the brake cable was cut! The skeg must have cut the brake cable last month when my tire blew out. I've seen a lot of poor engineering on boats, but this is rediculous. You can't jack up the axle without cutting the brake line! (Of course I moved it now so it's behind the axle rather than on top.)
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-25-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
what kind of trailer are you taking about..i have never heard of a problem like that..
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
2001/2002 Boatmate. I'll upload a photo tonight. And the boat was sitting in the correct position. :-)
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-26-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yep, my brake line is all mangled up where the fin has hit it too. I couldn't believe that Boatmate mounted it on top of the axle.

Jman
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
The axle also puts a lot of strain on the tracking fin when it's on jacks and actually dented mine slightly.

Since no auto parts stores sell 70+" brake lines, I bought a 60" and 12" and connected them with a coupler. The lines and fluid were less than $15 which was much better than the $50 kit that trailer companies were trying to sell me.
Upload

(Message edited by utmba95 on June 26, 2006)

(Message edited by utmba95 on June 26, 2006)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-26-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
that is a serious design flaw and could wreak serious damage to the boat in the event a tire or tires were to be blown or damaged.... yikes...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
I would get that corrected. Need to raise the bunks on the trailer an inch or two. I wonder if Boatmate had a boat with fins when they designed the trailer?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
The easy way to fix that is buy a new jack. A full size one that you can jack it up buy the trailer frame and not the axle. If you have a tandem trailer there is a spring mount in between the two tires. That's how I do it.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Are the bunks adjustable? Hard to tell in this picture, maybe they have settled over time? This is a major issue beyond cutting your brake line, because as your axle travels, it will constantly be hitting your skeg.

(Message edited by phatboypimp on June 26, 2006)

(Message edited by phatboypimp on June 26, 2006)
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
Nope, the bunks aren't adjustable. I'm not convinced yet whether or not it can hit while not using a jack. The worse case is probably if the rear tire blows out - which happened recently. That would allow the rear axle to droop down allowing the front axle to raise up and possibly hit the fin.
Old    ilovetrains            06-27-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
holy smokes, that is really scary.

what brand boat? Did the dealer sell it with that trailer?
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
It's a Supra with the stock trailer. Jman above appears to have a Moomba, so it may have been a Skiers Choice problem. Hopefully they'll look into it and make sure it doesn't happen in the future.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-27-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
my 2004 moomba came with a Boatmate trailer and has the brake line attached to the rear vertical side of the cross member.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-28-2006, 12:15 AM Reply   
Your Springs have become weak, and cause the boat to sit lower.
You need to replace your trailer springs, or put some lift spacers under the leaf springs.
I had the same problem, but my fin was not touching. My fender was touching the tire.