Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    firewake            05-01-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
I know it's been asked before but....when you throw the wedge down on a vlx does it change the shape a lot or the size or both? I heard it makes the wake a lot more peaked up and boxy? That is what I would like to see. I rode a VLX Bu without the wedge and the wake was big, but pretty mellow. That's nice and all, but I have a lot of days that I like to be bucked up pretty high. Will the wedge do that for me? I am really partial to tantrums and the peak of a wake really helps to trip you over...will the wedge help with that too? Thanks
Old    firewake            05-01-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
And does anyone have pics of the wakes behind a bu when the boat is weighted without the wedge and then with the wedge down?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-01-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I've ridden behind a I-ride with the wedge and I think it makes the wake taller- lippier. not wider. Sacs and a wedge are a good combo. sorry I dont' have any pics on this computer.

Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
I've ridden a Sunsetter LXi. Without the wedge the wake is essentially the same as with. However, like you said, without it, the wake is mushy. With the wedge, the wake is much more firm.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-01-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Manana I'll post pics
Old     (jam76)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
Here is a 2004 VLX with the Wedge down and Factory BallastUpload
Old     (jam76)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
anotherUpload
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-02-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
From all the opinions behind my LSV, the wedge makes it steep vs. more of a ramp without wedge. Does not seem to be different size. Sorry don't have pics.
Old    firewake            05-02-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Hey Jesse. How many people did you have in the boat with that pic taken?
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
The wedge definitely makes the wake steeper and peaky. I don't know if it really gets bigger, it's more an optical illusion because the transition shape changes.

I don't know if this is fair, but I'd roughly guess that my V-Ride is comparable to other wakes this way

Just ballast = Mastercraft X-1
Ballast+Wedge = SAN210

Maybe that helps explain the difference?
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
ROBB D- the sunsetter and the wakesetter are two different boats...the whole bottom of the hull is different on both but same interior.... the sunsetter has something on the back makes air pockets for it to ride on top of
Old    firewake            05-02-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Any other pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-02-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
In our SLXi when there is no ballast full, the wedge really makes a difference in the size of the wake. When I fill up the sacks, the wedge just helps to shape the wake...this is JMO.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-02-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Thanks. I always wondered why that wake wasn't as good as my math said it should be. I have a smaller boat, that puts out a bigger, firmer, better wake.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-02-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Tom, just a few questions-
Are you a big guy, did you ride behind a new VLX (05 or 06)?
IMO the bigger you are the more you will benefit from the wedge. It primarily firms the wake. The lip becomes so solid that at any speed you will not be able to crash through the top 6 inches. The lip becomes steep, almost appearing like it curls back toward you. so if you like to get bucked, size is not what is primarily needed, it's shape that matters and the wedge produces a firm, steep lip. Increasing approach speed will typically help you on a large wake. A wedge wake will support a range of boat and approach speeds due to the wake firmness, lip shape and large transitions.
But ultimately you will have to just try it for yourself. The older hull is a different experience. Are you a Nor-Cal guy? If you want a pull drop me a line.
Old     (jam76)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2006, 11:05 PM Reply   
Tom
We had 4 guys in the boat ranging in weight from 150lbs to 190lbs. I will get some pics with the wedge up and down and with an additional 800lbs of fat sacs added with the the factory ballast
Old    firewake            05-03-2006, 12:40 AM Reply   
Machew, I rode behind an 04 vlx with just the stock ballast. 250 on each side in the back and 500 in the floor. Only one guy(driver) in the boat. I do like to get bucked off the wake so what I am hoping for is that the wedge really steepens the wake up and put a good lip on it. I am 6"2" and about 195 so hopefully the wedge can help with that. I had a little bit of a hard time throwing a tantrum off the wake without the wedge. I guess I use the lip of a steep wake more than I thought.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
The newer VLX hull responds well to the wedge, it is quite a bit firmer and steeper. How much you need will be more of an individual decision. IMO your size will definitely benefit from the wedge and even more from the newer hull.
Old    firewake            05-03-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
I'm supposed to ride on another 04 VLX on sat. so hopefully I'll get to see what the wedge is going to do that day. Again...thanks for all the info from everyone...any more pics of those wakes with the wedge down vrs. up????
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Tom,
I have an 04 VLX and have played around with a number of different weight configurations. IMO you will want more weight than just stock plus the wedge. Running stock ballast only and no wedge on an 04… no way!
The wedge does add a bit more vert to the wake but I would not say it makes is any bigger.
Another way to go, is extra bags and not use the wedge. Experiment a bit and see what you prefer. You can’t really tell what a wake rides like from a pic anyways. Good luck.