Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
New study says 68% of All Traffic stops in Oakland are blacks being pulled over. But blacks only account for 28% of the population in Oakland.

Community is saying racial profiling.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...r-higher-rate/
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-25-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
So with these numbers we're supposed to assume that all things are equal and that everyone gets pulled over the exact same number of times? So if there are 28% blacks that 28% of people who get pulled over are going to be black? No I don't think so, some people never get pulled over for years, other people always get pulled over.
When I was younger I would get pulled over at least once a month, rarely ticketed, but pulled over for something. I grew up and stopped driving like an d-bag after taking a defensive driving class as well as later on getting a car that doesn't get as much attention (from people and cops) and I haven't been pulled over once in 8 years.
I have friends that constantly get pulled over and friends who match the same description and drive similar vehicles and don't get pulled over ever.
Just because one segment of the population happens to get pulled over x number of times, doesn't mean everyone else is going to as well.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-25-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
A report says Blacks make up 56% of california's population and account for 75% of the prisoners in the criminal justice system..
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-25-2014, 3:22 PM Reply   
Minorities being a high percentage of people in the criminal justice system is hardly something new or eye opening.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-25-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
Unfortunately this will never change until they change the perception that the rest of the USA has of them. Call it a spade, stereotype or bias, that "community" has issues that only they can fix.

I understand some of them have been put on them by the white community but some of them have figured out that it is time to grow up and move on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqlrVmVULc

and

http://www.californiaindianeducation...me_whites.html
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
Oakland makes Detroit look like a great family vacation area. There a few minorities that didn't get arrested for being a minority in this video. They didn't get arrested because they packing more heat. Could not pay enough to deal with that s**t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDciCg_4G_M
Old    deltahoosier            03-25-2014, 6:19 PM Reply   
How many of the 110 murders a year are not black?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-25-2014, 10:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
A report says Blacks make up 56% of california's population and account for 75% of the prisoners in the criminal justice system..
I just googled it and they only make up 6.6% of the population. Not sure where you came up with your numbers. Maybe you meant oakland's population?
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-26-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Mark here is the link... It seems high...

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=702
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
If they put mud flaps on their lifted donk mobiles, maybe they would't get pulled over.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Let's just refer back to this thread about Oakland.
Watch some of the video links and then re-ask the question of why they are pulled over more.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...156&page=99999
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
It would be interesting to see the timeline that the 26%r's were being pulled over. This is my theory I think most of the criminal activity occurs after five in Oakland. You know the saying " the freaks come out at night" my observation is most of the shootings and killings occur at two in the morning on a weeknight. By simply being at home and in bed increases your chance of survival ability in Oakland bye a Huge percentile. I think the police have a target rich environment on the streets of Oakland after hours. And more to my theory, during normal hours of operations the cops are doing traditional paperwork and police work and then at night when they switch over to more traffic enforcement police work and house calls Now if the working class is home and in bed they can't get pulled over can they???
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-26-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
^^ this is true^^
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-26-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Is anyone else tired of all this racial profiling garbage? Call a spade a spade.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
Riley; hell yes we are tired of it. But this brings up another interesting subject.

I think if we are to all move on the guilty party's have to take responsibility for their actions. We can no longer white wash everything and sweep it under the rug. Community leaders First need to call it out and address it. Stop blaming what ever it is and call bad behavior exactly what it is and shame the people guilty NOT glorify them.

When a guy that lives at home and is financing 26 inch wheels on his car and wearing $200 air Jordan's but can't take care of his responsiblitys (kids, bills ect) is called out and for what he or she is and the community recognizes this behavior as Doushe Baggery and condemns it then people might start to change. Right now if a guy raps about how Many cars he has and Ho's he is slanging
And bustin-caps" he gets a record deal and is a ghetto god!

If people can be straight up and say to someone's face "hey I would never higher you because your pants are on the ground you talk Ebonics ect you look like a thug, ect or what ever their problem would be With out fear of being sued I think we could establish a bar that people could strive to jump over.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-26-2014, 10:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Riley; hell yes we are tired of it. But this brings up another interesting subject.

I think if we are to all move on the guilty party's have to take responsibility for their actions. We can no longer white wash everything and sweep it under the rug. Community leaders First need to call it out and address it. Stop blaming what ever it is and call bad behavior exactly what it is and shame the people guilty NOT glorify them.

When a guy that lives at home and is financing 26 inch wheels on his car and wearing $200 air Jordan's but can't take care of his responsiblitys (kids, bills ect) is called out and for what he or she is and the community recognizes this behavior as Doushe Baggery and condemns it then people might start to change. Right now if a guy raps about how Many cars he has and Ho's he is slanging
And bustin-caps" he gets a record deal and is a ghetto god!

If people can be straight up and say to someone's face "hey I would never higher you because your pants are on the ground you talk Ebonics ect you look like a thug, ect or what ever their problem would be With out fear of being sued I think we could establish a bar that people could strive to jump over.
Grant... Seriously? Dude... Look at who's in office. Who is the president? You'll never have any argument from most people on this forum but, your case needs to be brought up with the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jackson's of the world. And that's already been beaten to death with them. It's gonna take some pain from experience before this country and especially this state learns any lessons. Even then, they'll weasel out of it somehow. It sucks but it's an inconvenient truth. All we can do is try to change the hearts of the ones we have influence over.

You gotta remember its their culture to honor and glorify things like 26" rims. Find a way to harness and change that and you'll be a billionaire. Good luck.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-26-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Mark here is the link... It seems high...

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=702
Did you mean to say they make up 56% of the PRISON population? If so, I don't doubt that. I inferred you meant that they made up 56% of the total state general population.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-27-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
"their cultue" Wow that is a little rough and a little across the line - "your culture" is to glorify things like giant speaker rack and rims and wheels as well just on a boat trailer.

I agree it is all about personal responsibility. My wife is a teacher in a less than desirable area and has to buy several lunches each week or the kids go hungry. These same kids have parents with cell phones, manacures, etc but "cant afford" reduced lunch that costs a quarter a day - $1.25 a week WTF. What we choose to spend our income on is a personal choice but to say you cant afford necesseties when buying non-essentials is ridiuclous and last I checked cell phones cable tv etc are non essential
Old    deltahoosier            03-27-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
"Their" culture is not that harsh. Does not matter that Grant has big speakers or a boat, he is not out murdering people to achieve it and he can afford it within reason. He is not shifting his responsibilities to the community at large. I do believe there are cultures better than others and clearly the culture of Oakland (and most democrat controlled cities) have failed the minority populations. Why is that? It is the attitude of free lunch society and that others owe you. Oakland is surrounded by some of the richest areas on earth with the most jobs available than about anywhere on earth. There are several colleges around Oakland. Why are there people in Oakland without jobs and an education? Why are they gunning each other down by the thousands per decade in the heart of such wealth? It is a cultural thing pure and simple. They tell each other it is because they are not white. Then the Asians and Mexicans move in and have jobs and own homes. It is not a non white thing. Heck they are so brain washed that they are getting arrested by black cops and are still saying they are being arrested because they are black. The Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and the rest of the liberal politicians make big money by exploiting the black community to the tune of nearly 98% of their vote. Yet said liberals have not improved their situations at all. Only time they succeed is to move to the suburbs if they can and get away from the plantation attitudes of if you are successful, it is because you are an Uncle Tom.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-27-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteflashwatersports1 View Post
"their cultue" Wow that is a little rough and a little across the line - "your culture" is to glorify things like giant speaker rack and rims and wheels as well just on a boat trailer.

I agree it is all about personal responsibility. My wife is a teacher in a less than desirable area and has to buy several lunches each week or the kids go hungry. These same kids have parents with cell phones, manacures, etc but "cant afford" reduced lunch that costs a quarter a day - $1.25 a week WTF. What we choose to spend our income on is a personal choice but to say you cant afford necesseties when buying non-essentials is ridiuclous and last I checked cell phones cable tv etc are non essential
I was neither rough nor across the line. I am just minimally observant. That is very kind of your wife to buy those lunches btw.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
I think Sam Kinison said it best when he referred to the people that live in the desert and bitch about not having water and food. If it isn't there, MOVE!!!!!

Same can be said for most people that bitch about their problems but do NOTHING to try to fix them. Don't like how racist the South is? MOVE!

Don't like what a s-h-i-t hole Oakland is? MOVE! Don't like that you get pulled over a lot? STOP COMMITTING CRIMES DUMB ASS!

It's all small problems for small minded people. In their world they should be able to look like s-h-i-t, talk like s-h-i-t, act like s-h-i-t and break the law with no fuss from the tax paying citizens or the Law.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2014, 6:10 AM Reply   
Slow down?
Old     (TerryR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-07-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
The other day i heard the Oakland Raiders were going to change their name because it was too closely associated with violence.

From now on they are just "The Raiders"
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-08-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
You should all just listen to yourselves. I live in a good neighborhood and although it's predominantly white, the black and Hispanic people that live here are all good people with normal jobs, nice houses, and they don't drive low riders with fancy rims. If I head East a good ways and get into the hood there will be hood rats who live the ghetto life style. These neighborhoods are still predominantly white (it is Colorado after all) and the white people in these neighborhoods are just as ghetto as anyone else. The people you are describing aren't black people or Hispanics. They are poor people. If these people were smart enough not to make the mistakes you point out then they wouldn't be the poor people. This has everything to do with how you were raised and nothing to do with the color of your skin. I grew up a poor white kid in a trailer park. I was smarter than most and my parents were educated even if they couldn't figure out how to turn their educations into good incomes. I was able to escape my poor upbringings but the police did their best to knock me down every chance they got. I didn't drive any differently than any of my friends (kids will be kids), but they had nicer cars and I drove a rusty beater. I was profiled as a poor person and I was pulled over more often as a result. My insurance rates were enormous as a result. It's nothing more than an attempt to enforce a class system that isn't supposed to exist in America. That's as un-American as it can be and I can only imagine how much more difficult it may have been if I wasn't white. Can all of you honestly say that there aren't any African Americans in your neighborhoods that are good people with good jobs and strong incomes? You have lumped them into your disgusting stereotypes as well.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-08-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
And why is a cell phone a symbol of bad money management? Didn't poor people have home phones 25 years ago? I was poor as kid and my family still had a phone. You have to have a phone in order to get or maintain a job. The cell phone has replaced the home phone and isn't any more expensive than a home phone line today. The cell phone argument is ridiculous. And who are these mystery poor people with fancy rims on their cars. I see a lot of poor people in my in-laws neighborhood and none of them have fancy rims. They're walking.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-08-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
The cell phone thing also pisses me off. My mom volunteers at a food bank down the road from their house in orange county. I went with her a few times, and 80 percent of the people that got the food either lived in their cars, or brought their homes with them. They legitimately needed the food. Now when the others come in with their iPhones in their hands, or being picky as to what brand of peanut butter we gave them is ridiculous! If you can afford an iPhone you do NOT need to be receiving free food. Sell the damn phone, get one that does the job and provide for your damn family.
Old    deltahoosier            04-08-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
Actually Eric as much as you would love to believe it is not a color issue, it is. You are absolutely correct that there are outstanding individuals of all races living together and it is more about economic class than anything. Denver may be a different story but California is as racist and segregated as anywhere in America and it is all about race. My daughter had a couple of black roommates in college. One from Oakland. She told my daughter straight out that she did not like white people and she sent her time in black cultural events so she never been with white people. My wife works in Oakland with many black people as her friends. She had a couple of her friends tell her that they did not like white people either. Another heard my wife's story of struggle growing up poor and the black person said they did not think white people ever had to go through stuff like that. During the Rodney King riots. The blacks went and attacked the Koreans because they had all the businesses in their area. We have China towns where only Asians live. We have Mexican only areas pretty much. On the flip side back in the 50's some the affluent areas in the hills around the bay area had in the realtor contracts that they could not sell to blacks, asians and hispanics. I got on the BART train for the first time with my inlaws who were here for a visit and some black lady started chanting death to white people children of satan at me.

Trust me it is very much about race in California. There are very much different ways the different cultures view money, drugs, violence, education and role of government. Yes there are some issues with economic class issues but primarily it is a cultural issue. I grew up dirt poor in Indiana but it was not in our families culture to not try and get educated and work hard. I had to move 2400 miles for a good job as 19 year old because my culture dictated I had to do what I had to do legally and in the structure of what we considered christian society. Not everyone one shared my culture. My black friend that we were friends since we were 3 years old (yes I am that white guy with the one black friend but he was the only around) did the same. He ended up in the military and lives in Germany. I was in his culture. Trust me. I heard the N word hurled at him by some racist for no reason walking down the street. I have also been in a few fights against people on his side with him because of it. I also heard the stories of his dad in growing up in Oklahoma with it. Point is, culturally it did not define them and they were not rich either.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2014, 9:54 AM Reply   
Eric: Did you see the Title of the Thread, Traffic stops % in Oakland we were not 'LUMPING" them together as "disgusting stereotypes" as you say.
The topic was about a small Minorty of people 26% of Oakland's population to be exact that happen to be BLACK getting stopped 68% of the time.

What's funny is when you call things like you see them it's called PROFILING. Ok let's go with this, Eric before you cast judgment ask yourself this, Have you EVER profiled anyone? Ya know looked at someone and came up with a assessment of who they were or what they were about before you actually met them?
Have you ever passed a hitch hiker and decided not to pick them up because they looked like trouble? I will stay tuned for your answer. G