Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-10-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
Anyone else think there is far too much surfing on Fuel? I love to surf, have for thirty years (wow, I'm old) but I can only watch so much. Not a whole truckload of differences between surfers.
Skate, snow, wake, even BMX...it is always interesting as the style elemnt comes into play as well as watching skateboarders who in my opinion are the hardest hitting action athletes bar none.
Cool to see Pull. Alliance did an awesome job with editing and making our sport look legit.
Old    wickedwake            09-10-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Yep too much. I dont surf, but it's pretty cool to watch. But to me every looks the same. I do agree with you. I would rather watch skate or BMX than anything.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-10-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
There are far more surfers than any other sport. They have to appeal to the masses.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
Thank you. I was trying to explain to some of my surfer friends how boring it was to watch surfing on t.v. and they thought i was crazy. dont get me wrong i like watching surfing, but when you have about 12 hrs. of programming and 8 of those hrs are surfing it gets really old. There cant be that many surfers that watch fuel, skateboarding, bmx and even wakeboarding can be enjoyed in far more regions than surfing.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-10-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
I don't think it's over run by surfing at all. There is a lot of BMX, Skate, and Snow coverage as well. But it makes sense to me; the most popular sports get the most coverage.

If it's boring to watch, then don't watch it.
Old    wakegal02            09-10-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
wow i'm happy i'm not the only one who found surfing to be boring to watch, i don't surf but i always say that it's probably 100x more fun actually surfing than watching, sometimes it's kinda neat to see the massive waves or some of the little tricks they do but it's not better than watching skateboarding,bmx, or wakeboarding...some people may say because more people surf so that's why they show more of it but i don't think it matters if more people surf because i don't skateboard or bmx but i like watching both of those.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
how can more people surf than skateboard? that makes zero sense. The areas that you can surf in the U.S. are so limited. You can skateboard, in any city in the U.S. while you can surf in maybe ten percent of the cities in the u.s.

blabel, i dont watch surfing thats the problem, but when you are paying for programing you would kinda like to get some good shows. I dont remember fuel being like this last year, it seemed like they only showed road fools, skate maps, and captain and casey. now its all drive thru and random surf comps.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-10-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
I stand corrected. You are right about skateboarding. I guess I was thinking world wide. I still don't think surfing out airs the other two though. The Captain and Casey show is on every day and they still show road fools all the time as well.

I guess I should rephrase my initial comment. They probably respond to what the audience wants. So, although there are more skateboarders than Surfers , the surfers in Fuels audience, may out number the skateboarders.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-10-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
Yea, i prefer skating, bmx and snowboarding over surfing.