Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    boyinblue            04-04-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
Hi everybody.
Well it's my 1st post. Hopefully, not my last!
I need help...
Been goofing off for the last two yrs with family and friends waterskiing/kneeboarding during the summer up in Canada near the US boarder (up state New York). I have a decent ski boat and need your expertise.
I've been searching for a wakeboard and I'm floored at all the brands and range in $$$.
Does anybody know of a board called HOBIE-hydroslide with Chaser bindings. I've searched the web and can't seem to get anywhere.
If you know of the board what do you think of it???... Is it a beginner/mid range and will it suit me to begin with? The price is good at $175cdn. Thinking about it...pls tell me what you really think.
Old    walt            04-04-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Luc Joseph, If you look at the top of this page there is a link for Bindings and boards try it and you might find what you need. Also you will have a better response if you post under the proper category. This post is under (boats and boat accessories) but should be under (wakeboarding).
Good luck,
Walt
Old    jhair            04-04-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
Honestly, I think it's pretty much a bargain basement/blue light special board. I've seen many other boards of similar quality for the same price or less at places like West Marine. However, since you're just learning, it may not make much of a difference. Be sure it's the right size for you and the boots are comfortable.

If you get serious about wakeboarding, you'll want to upgrade soon. Another option to consider is getting a package deal/last season closeout from somewhere like wakeside.com, buywake.com, or one of the other sites advertised here. This will probably cost close to twice what you're looking at for the Hobie board, but you should be able to get more lasting use out of it as your skills progress.

Personally, I always buy from a local shop where I can demo multiple boards and choose the one that fits me best. However, I'm more serious about my boarding and my local shop is great.
Old    boyinblue            04-05-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice Walt...I realized after I sent it that I put my add in the wrong section but to be honest I also had a couple of questions on boats as well. Can you really affectively wakeboard behind a normal boat ie cruiser or other types of skiboats. I realize that most of the good wakeboarders want to get that full air but can you also get that from a regular boat without the weight or the tower attached??? I have a beautiful 1996 Charger STV tunnel hull (built for speed but good for water sports as well) I've been goofing off the last 2 seasons and I want to get serious without dishing out lots of $$$ about wakeboarding. I would consider selling my speed boat for a more modern run-a-but. What do you guys think???
Old    walt            04-05-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
Any boat is better than no boat but
If wakeboarding is going to be the primary function of your boat you should consider looking at a older direct drive or V-Drive boat. You can find a older ski boat with a tower for around 10K or so and it will have a respectable wake.