Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 12:48 AM Reply   
Looking at purchasing a set of HLCD speakers to put in a speaker box. Looks like everyone in the forum thinks the Wet Sounds Rev 10 are the best. Online it looks like you can only order these speakers already installed in a tower can. Is there any way to purchase only the Rev 10 speaker without the enclosure from a dealer?

If not then it looks like the speaker only options are the Wet Sounds 6x9, Bullet HollowPoint 770 HP Neo SS, Krypt 8" and Kicker KM6500. Which of these has best all around sound quality (distance your able to hear verses quality of sound nearby).

Also, is there that much of a difference in the Rev 10 verses the other speakers listed to justify purchasing the Rev 10 and removing the speaker from the enclosure since it is about $500 more.

If anyone has any other speaker options or ideas I would appreciate yalls opinion.

Thanks for the help.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-14-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
out of the ones you listed I would go with the bullet.I have bullet inboat speakers and they sound amazing
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-14-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Might be a stupid question but...why are you putting HLCD tower speakers in a box? How do you plan on using the speakers and maybe more people can chime in, especially since a few members on here are affiliated with those speakers you are inquiring about.
Old     (Diggertaker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-14-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
Pm'd you!!!
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
I am building a portable stereo kinda like a cooler stereo but they are going in a custom box. Going to be using it out at the beach and at the lake. I am just trying build a portable stereo with HLCD speakers so it will be louder when a whole bunch of people are hanging out. I am really just looking for some high quality speakers that the sound caries and have really good mid bass. Thanks again.
Old    mojo            03-14-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
IMO, something like a house of marley box or simple portable iPod deck is much better. Unless you just want to build something. Everyone who isn't in your group will hate you and it will be pretty bright sounding with horns.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-14-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
Your going to need a forklift to roll around a pair of REV 10's, batteries and a big enough amp to make them sound good.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-14-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
That bag of rythym marley box/bag is sweet. Thanks for making me want to blow $350 more on another electronic piece lol
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Haha yeah I know weight is going to be an issue. I am going to put wheels on the box but I guess it can't be too heavy so two people will be able to pick it up. I want to build something custom because it needs to be durable because I am also going to strap it down in the bed of a Polaris ranger and was going to bring it on one of my buddies boats that doesn't have a stereo.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-14-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgNautique View Post
Haha yeah I know weight is going to be an issue. I am going to put wheels on the box but I guess it can't be too heavy so two people will be able to pick it up. I want to build something custom because it needs to be durable because I am also going to strap it down in the bed of a Polaris ranger and was going to bring it on one of my buddies boats that doesn't have a stereo.
Unless its a john boat?? How does a boat not have a stereo on it?? Even pontoon boats have stereos lol
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Ha true. It's an old 1990 ski nautique and it didn't come with a stereo.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-14-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
HLCD speakers aren't really meant for that kind of application. Why would you want speakers that sound better further out? Honestly the rev series has good mid bass, but like said earlier, you'd have to have a forklift to move them around once you had everything you need. Plus odds are if you're blaring them on a public beach you won't be able to do it for long before you piss someone off.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Eminence or something like that is the maker of some HLCD's a friend of mine bought online and made his own cans.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Someone above is right, you'll need a fork lift to lug it around

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-14-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
Just buy this...

Coleman stainless steel-belted cooler with; (2) Wet sounds Pro696 (Marine 6x9 HLCD spekers), Arc Audio 300.2 amplifier (800 watts), (2) Shuriken SKBT-20 batteries, Auxiliary jack for iPod. This model can be heard over 200 yards away. The compression horn 6x9's are made to project sound 80' and beyond.
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
I appreciate everyone's input. Between the wet sounds 6x9 and the bullet hollow point 770, which do you think has better mid bass and sound quality?
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-14-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
They're not hlcd but how about the new JL 8.8's? Should be plenty of mid bass.
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2012, 4:57 PM Reply   
Ok well when I started planning to build this stereo I was pretty set on using HLCD but looks like a lot of y'all think that's a bad idea. Do you think doing two pairs of those JL 8.8 will be pretty loud?
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-15-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
So I am assuming that your bulding this box mainly for hanging out on the shore, and sometimes strapping it down to the back of your buddies boat. I'm guessing you want the hlcd's so when you do strap it on your buddies boat you can jam while riding correct? If that's the case go ahead and use hlcd's. They sound good up close up to about half volume, but at half volume they are crazy loud enough already so you will be fine. That's just my personal oppinion. That way you can still use it for your dual purposes. I would say go with the bullets.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-15-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
mitch,

We have had a ton of guys using the PRO 696 in cooler type systems. They guys at Party In MY Cooler use them in their top of the line loudest builds (the one in the pic)

The cool thing about the PRO 696 is the crossover is enclosed in a plastic sealed box and it is piggy back mounted to the compression driver. So you don't have to find a place to mount a raw crossover board. The crossover can also be removed and mounted next to the speaker or farther away if you need the depth.

Fell free to hit me up at twhite@wetsounds.com if you have any other questions or need some ideas. we have built a lot of these for ourselves and freinds. Everything from micro sized ones with one pair of XS-650 to larger ones with multiple XS-650's to the PRO 696's.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (TxAgNautique)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-15-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
Yeah that's exactly how I was planning on using the stereo. I am going to put two pairs of speakers in the box. If I put one pair of hlcd and one pair of in boat speakers do you think that would sound good. I guess I could also put one of those wet sounds equalizer in it so that I can fade the power going to the different types during different situations. Let me know what y'all think of this idea. Thanks again.
Old     (roadrunner71)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-25-2012, 5:48 AM Reply   
I have heard the JL 7.7's and they have a lot of mid-bass and the sound carries well beyond 80' as well. The sound quality is amazing too at all volume levels.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-25-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
HLCD speakers aren't really meant for that kind of application. Why would you want speakers that sound better further out? Honestly the rev series has good mid bass, but like said earlier, you'd have to have a forklift to move them around once you had everything you need. Plus odds are if you're blaring them on a public beach you won't be able to do it for long before you piss someone off.
HLCD's only sound good at a distance?? Not all of them... See my pics below of the Kicker 6-pack re-purposed as nearfield home theater speakers. The wood ones are mine. The painted ones are from a local audio guru...
Done right, there is no reason not to use horns in the near-field. Otherwise we would have never heard of brands like Klipsch, Altec, JBL etc... The Kicker KM6500.2 have always had a pleasant sonic signature up close and now Tim's REV's have come in similarly providing a warmer sound that is pleasant if not hideously loud up close...

The Kicker speakers shown have neodymium midrange driver motors, so they are really not that heavy. That might be a good point to consider for a cooler stereo. Sell the forlikft you just bought and buy a decent amplifier....

Phil
Kicker
Attached Images

Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
just buy a powered pa speaker. the qsc stuff is amazing! i bought a honda eu2000i to power mine when no power is available. the eurolive behringer stuff is great bang for the buck.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
Old     (chargeit)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
The loudest sound for the buck is going to be a close call between the Krypt 8" and WS 6x9.
I run 4 Krypt 6.5" hlcd as my in-boats with very satisfactory sound. The Krypt, much like Bullet, are not as sharp (or as raw loud) as the pair of original WS 485 I run on my tower.

They will have plenty of mid-bass, bass is going to be a challenge area. I think a well designed box that incorporates a port could deliver suprising sound.
Sub-bass guys will tune in the 30-40hz range, you want to tune in the 50-90hz range. A little extra money spent on proper box design will yeild big rewards.

A good battery will play for quite a while on a single amp not driving subs.
If you want to increase your play time and potential options, look into a power supply like Iota's 30amp DLS. You need a battery charger to properly maintain the battery anyway, the power supply is strong enough to deliver playing power if you happen to have an A/C source available.

I bought two pair each of the Krypt 6.5 and 8". Only ended up using the 6.5 so I have two pairs of 8" I might be interested in moving........
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
My buddy and I built the "Speaker Skate" last year and its PLENTY loud. In fact almost anytime we use the damn thing the cops show up, even in the middle of the day. We call it the Speaker Skate because it has off road skateboard wheels on the bottom of it. It's mostly stuff we happened to have lying around.

-12' sub box with 2 12's
-2 Fusion 6.5 coaxials
-JBL PX 300.4
-Blue top
-Skate trucks and Wheels
-Rocker switches
RCA to 3.5 plug
-Various wiring and connectors

Things we had to buy:
-2 battery boxes (one for the battery and the other for cooler and asthetics)
-Various LED's
-Booze

Its great we can wheel it around or load it on the back of my golf cart and bring it down to the beach. It's great for down at the beach, wheeling into a house party or back yard party but not for strapping to a boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
and now the picture...
Attached Images

Old     (mssamantha)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
Where did you get this. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find it!!!! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking to use for a cooler cart I'm building. Was it a limited production model, I would pay top dollar to have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Just buy this...

Coleman stainless steel-belted cooler with; (2) Wet sounds Pro696 (Marine 6x9 HLCD spekers), Arc Audio 300.2 amplifier (800 watts), (2) Shuriken SKBT-20 batteries, Auxiliary jack for iPod. This model can be heard over 200 yards away. The compression horn 6x9's are made to project sound 80' and beyond.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
Kicker KM6200 2 ohm on a Wet Sounds Syn Micro @ 120W rms fed by a 35 Ah AGM battery. Plenty damn loud and plenty of play time and still holds 24 cans and a 10 lb bag of ice

Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-05-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
and now the picture...
I recognize that enclosure, interesting....

Rubber rings under the grills, elliptical ports... I might know the designer of that enclosure.....