Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-16-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
I was curious about the speed of the recoil? I currently have a response. I mainly use it for cable. It feel it is an extremely fast board. I ride a lf shane for wake and I feel it is a slower board. Im not too big a fan of slow boards. I LOVE the lyman. I feel like I have the option of being a wake to wake rider, or wake to flat rider, both with massive pop. Is the recoil a slower 3 stage board? Or fast like the lyman? Also, is the reflex a board more geared for rails? If so, what makes it different from the response and recoil? Thanks for the help
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
if you want a slingshot, go with the reflex because it has a hybrid rocker so you will have pop and speed.

or just ride the lyman if you know you LOVE it.
i love the lyman too
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-16-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Ive had similar questions but the 08 models are a little out of my range. so my only coices are the recoil and response. ive been riding an 06 era and after riding my sisters 07 saphire i hate my board so which one would be more like the saphire which i think is the same as the pure
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
zach,

I have only ridden the lyman once. the water was really choppy and it was quite a while ago so it is hard to remember/judge the difference. I want to think the lyman was a bit faster than the recoil, but with this said i definitely don't think the recoil is a "slow 3stage" The featureless bottoms i think helps to reduce the drag of other traditional 3 stage boards. Also, the fact that you feel the response is "extremely fast" i think you will find the recoil comfortable.

But if you are in the range for getting a 2009 model then i too might suggest the reflex too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
gerald,
i believe you meant to say that 09 models are out of your range or maybe you meant 08 too... afterall, the 07 models are exactly the same as the 08 models.
the saphire/pure are subtle three stage which would share a rocker pattern closest to the new reflex... but i know your are looking at the other two so.... Just ask yourself,
#1 "do i want a little more buck off the wake (recoil) or less (response)?"
#2 "do i want more speed (response) or am i ok with about the same speed or possibly slightly less speed with the same effort from my board (recoil)?"
#3 "do i want to emphasize going out into the flats on jumps (response) or not so much (recoil)?
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-16-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
yeah i meant 09 models. basically right now ive been riding wake to wake because the landings on my current board are pretty rough in the flats. So if i got the recoil would i not really be able to go into the flats? and if i got the response would my w2ws be really low? By the way im looking at the 08 models and can get either for $220 shipped and plan to get the pb floyds to go with them for $160 so i doubt i would be able to get the reflex for anywhere near that price. So my main question is will i be able to go as high w2w on the response as the saphire?
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-16-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
I love the explosive pop of 3 stage boards. I am curious about the reflex though. I know Company is very similar to slingshot. Are their boards the same shape. I know they wanted to keep it simple and go with just a 3 stage board and a continuous board. But are they the same shapes as the recoil and response
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-17-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
Also, I have my eyes on the new 09 lf ltd shanes. Will these fit on slingshot boards? Or will I need to buy the adapter plates? How are the PB Floyd bindings and D3 bindings? I have heard people complain about how many laces there are how annoying they are to put on and take off. How are they as far as comfort and support goes? Stiffer than the Shanes?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-17-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Gerald,

you can still go into the flats on a recoil easily. you can do pretty much all the things on 3-stage boards as continuous. it comes down to more of a style an feel preference. Say you want to REALLY emphasize speed and going into the flats like, say, randal harris, go continuous rocker (response) but if you like that more aggressive "bucking" straight-up-and-down style of pop go with 3 stage (recoil). you should be able to go just as high and possibly higher on either board.

You are gona love the flex to make your landings softer!

-------------------------------------------------
zach,

im pretty sure you will need the adapter lf plates. i think the traditional mounting is the 8 inch style but not certain. the boots should fit in the end whatever.

The Laces are not as bad as some say, true they take a while to get used to, speaking mostly for the 07 boots. the laces have come a long way since the 07 boots due to the complaints. The boots are seriously the easiest boots to get into and out of once loosened... how else would you get a full length screw driver into the boot to get to the screws! ;) They are not THE FASTEST boots to put on, but they are the easiest in my opinion AND super cumfy! (some day i am gona make a you tube video on the d2 boots how to put em on quick and such) Speaking for the D2 boots. the D3 boots have a new "speed lace" or something so it sounds like lacing is even better now this model.
I persoanlly didn't care for the pb floids because of the "hybrid" laces. it uses a hiking boot hook style on the top and i have never liked those things much, but i know some love it and can cich up pretty darn fast.

The company 3 stage model looks very similar to the recoil to me but the continuous has 3 fins on each end vs 2 on each end that the slingshot model has. those are the only differences i can confirm with 100% surety ;)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-17-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Usually I can not tell much of a difference in speed between most boards, but immediately noticed how much slower the Recoil is than my previous decks. After you get used to it, I don't think the lack of speed matters a bunch. I'm no great rider and can easily take the board into the flats on a 75-80' line HS and TS. If you want a fast board though, the Recoil is probably not for you.
Old    Slingshot            12-17-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
The recoil is not that slow, but if you are looking for a fast board with a 3 stage rocker with a lot of pop, you should try our new reflex board.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-19-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
How does companies 3 stage compare to the Recoil? Or companies continuous to the response. Im looking for something along the progressive 3 stage or abrupt continuous side. Im really wanting to demo the reflex though
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
From LOOKS ALONE... and judging from the 09 line of each...

3-stage models:
The slingshot has shaved corners (for '09) and the company one has rounded corners.

Continuous:
Slingshot has rounded diamond tips with two fins on each end and Company's has squared off diamond tip with three removable fins instead

Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
P.S. as i am sure you know, the reflex is the board that would most closely match the rocker you are describing
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
...Ohhh, and i "THINK" Company's web site will be up to date with product and stuff on new years. on the "09 slingshot and company" thread there was a mention of something to lookforward to on new years ! ;)

maybe then you can give the two companies a closer look, read the specs and materials info and such!
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-19-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
What is the difference between rounded corners or shaved corners? What different effect does that have on a board. I love a loose board, do you think the recruit is going to really tight with the 3 fin set up, and would it have any adverse effects on the ride of the board.

Off topic I know, but does anyone know if the LF Vantage is going to be offered in a closed toe for 09? I know they are waiting to release there ltd bindings till february(ish). I was curious if anyone had heard anything
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
i am not certain, but i THINK the squared off corners help the board to sit a little deeper? better wait for a slingshot affiliate to answer this one with more surety. whatever it does for sure, it must be good, prior to '09 the corners were more rounded. (i think it might have explained it in the surf expo vid on thewakespace.com)

all thought the recruit has three fins you could take the center out to make it more loose or even just leave the center one in only if you really wanted too

Yes the LF vantages will have a closed toe BUT ONLY IN THE LIMITED EDITION (unless something changed).
Gator, however is offering their version of the vantage this coming year, all of which will be closed toe. In my opinion the gator closed toes look better, but that is just me... and to let you know to make comparisons if desired! ;)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
welp the vid on the site mentioned doesn't say anything about the corners... and as for the cut corners being "good"... this is not to say that non-cut corners are bad ;)
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-19-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Are there any pictures of the vantage? Im bored at home trying to scour the web, but I could only find the gator boot.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-20-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Sorry Zach, i went to bed right after the last post and finally got home from work... maybe you found a pick already, but if not (and maybe this one is different angle?)...

Upload
vantage lmtd
Upload
regular and limited versions of the gator boots

maybe the lf ltd vantages are better looking then i remembered, but to each their own stokes. ;)
the
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-20-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
Interestingly enough, I like the looks of the gator a little better. Just curious, where did you find these pictures? Always looking to increase my knowledge of new wakeboard gear on the web!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
the limited vantage boots i got from here
http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=518
the surf expo pics

and the gator ones i got from the gator site.

i would have to say that gator is the only company out there that is making even their base plates look super stylish IMO

(Message edited by wakerider111 on December 21, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Another thing i dig about the gator ones is that Gator boots have two boots that are "specific" sizes (10 and 11) and the rest of the line are two size ranges. I am a fan of specific sizes on closed toe boots (like Slingshot and Company), because of the importance of getting the closest fitting size to reduce/illuminate toe crunching.

i'll just copy and paste the sizes and it'll speak for itself.

LF watson '09
Sizes: Perfect-Fit Design (5-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, 10-11, 11-12, 12-13) http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot10.asp?ProductID=4765

gator '08
Sizes: 6-7, 8-9, 10, 11, 12-13
http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot9.asp?ProductID=4195

but this is only "extra" beneficial to those sizes.

whatever FEELS more comfortable even more important. but i have not tried any (except for the '08 vantage)

(i am just going by numbers here though, i havn't "tested" the actual real variability between sizes vs different brands)

(Message edited by wakerider111 on December 21, 2008)
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-21-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
How did you like the 08 Vantages? How was the ankle support? I blew out my ankle in a pair of Shanes not to long ago. I love the ability to poke out grabs really far, but I need the support!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
i only wore them in the store and thought they were one of the most cushy bindings ever... but that is the store... soo i really have no good reliable judgment on 'em

check the reviews and do a thread search. there are lots of posts on 'em i am sure