Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
Here are more pics from Oroville. I can not ride away the 360. These are some sequence shots taken. I can get around but then cant seem to pull it out. Any thoughts? By the way, the debris is horrible at Oroville. I lost a prop on Saturday. Luckily I had a spare. I would not suggest going there until they drop it a bit.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-26-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
A few recomendations. First, go to XBC's site and over to the right hand side you'll see a moving GIF. Pay careful attention to the guy's body position.

http://www.xtremeboardcompany.com/

Three recommendations. Probably the most important is don't stand up during your rotation. Staying tucked will give you some extra speed, but worse is the tucked to upright movement will slow you down a bit, it also slows your rotation down (center of gravity stuff).

Coming into your 3, I'd focus on bending more at the knees than at the waist, it will increase your stability and also help with weight transfer. Think of tucking in to a tube to help you gain speed goining into the 3 and then concentrate on staying there through the rotation.

As you come out of the rotation, you should PUMP, back towards the boat. Eventually you learn to do it in one motion, but during this initial learning phase...just THROW that first pump as you come back around.

I also don't like the starting location. I'd prefer to see you back a bit, almost at the peak of the lip, turn hard and UP into the lip and drag your hand, then your final 180 will be back down face, giving you some speed to catch back up.

You're looking really close to nailing it.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-27-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I’m having troubles with the 360 also. I’m riding the Trickboardz Mojo XL. From the video the first ½ to ¾ of the rotation looks good, but as soon as the board starts to spin past 180 to toeside edge goes underwater and I fall forward. I think this is happening because my feet are positioned so far toward the toeside edge which is how you are suppose to ride the Trickboardz. Next time out I’m going to try to reposition my feet more towards the center of the board when I’m attempting the 360.
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
I'm also working on the surface 360. I have little problem getting all the way around although i end up behind the surf. I think I need to spin faster and travel less. When going into the turn is it best to pump hard and transfer that speed? I put my weight forward and haave even moved my feet forward, however i think that limits the strengh of the pumping, any thoughts?
Old    surfdad            06-27-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Matt, many things with the Trick Boardz will be different than with a more surf style board. Positioning on the board will be important as that board does react quickly.

Nicolette, if you are floating out the back, more than likely you aren't breaking the fins loose. What happens is that you CARVE a large circle...typically going out the back. If look at the video I listed above, when the rider is at 180, look carefully at the rear fin, you'll see it's out of the water. You'll also notice the rotation is almost in onee spot, no tracking back away from the boat. A couple of recommendations for practicing this. 1) set your wake up such that it is as long as possible, while still keeping the speed what you are accustomed to. 2) A less tall wake will make this trick easier to practice, the steepness is hard to adjust too while you're learning. So to recap those two items, lower and longer wake.

3) when you start your 3, push your rear foot around HARD, you want to get the tail around, breaking the fins loose. It should feel like you are spinning in place. To practice this, don't worry about throwing the 3 right away, try working on doing a HUGE bottom turn, such that the nose of your board is pointing away from the boat. You'll "feel" when the fins break loose. You might have to shift your weight forward just a bit to make this happen. Once you get the fins to break loose, a quick hand drag will complete the rotation and you'll basically be right where you started from.

Keep us posted on your progress folks.
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
Thanks a bunch Jeff, I'm excited to go out and give it a shot.