Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    pureride540            06-27-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Ok this question goes out to all the riders that tore their acl. Let me start from the beginning. I tore it last july, had the surgery right before New Years, went thru rehab, and just got the clear to start riding again at the beginning of june (5 months post-op). I can bend my knee almost all the way but I still cant touch my heel to my leg. It seems like its taking a very long time to get that last little bit and for the swelling to completely go away. How long did it take for everyone else's to get back to normal?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
i had knee surgery from skateboarding. I tore a cartilate...definately not an acl. It took half a year for me to get full range of motion. Although I went back to riding like a month and a half after the surgery. So I was hitting it hard soon after surgery. Its gonna take half a year to fully rehabilitate.
Old    stoked27            06-27-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine tore his acl playing a pre-season football game. He was out for that season, and the next. I know that prolly doesn't sound too encouraging, but who knows, people are all different. Went wakeboarding today with a friend who broke his collarbone three weeks ago. Good luck man.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-27-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thats a tough one. After a major injury the body needs time to heal. I suggest you take it very slow. If you must wakeboard, carve around a bit the first few times out. Its the most difficult thing you will ever do if you are accustomed to charging the wake. But trust me, carving around a bit is a lot better taking chances and reinjuring yourself. Take it slow.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
i started with a few wake 2 wakes, then after 3 weeks i went back to trying inverts then landed my first one. i guess i pushed myself i little hard but i never got reinjured.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-07-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
Tore my ACL last Tuesday doing a weak ass wake to wake 180. Got too cocky and over rotated. Landed with my back to the boat, caught my heels and my left binding came off, snapping the board away from me with my right leg still attached. Pop...my knee snapped inward and here I am awaiting surgery next week. Ive had some pretty nasty falls doing inverts, I still cant believe what me up was a damn 180. Im so pi$$ed. Ive heard all the horror stories of rehab and it taking 9+ months to fully rehabilitate. Im just planning to be good enough to hit the snowboard in December. I dont care if it take several hours a day working on it. Ill do it. I had a friend who was pretty close to 100% after 4 months and his PT said that was the fastest he had ever seen. My friend is a pu$$y and I know I can rehab faster... :-)

I broke my arm last year getting it caught in the handle doing a wrapped 360. Surgery and two metal plates. I was boarding again in a month (after I begged and pleaded to get the cast off promising I wouldnt wakeboard :-)

Phil, my question is, why would you wait 6 months to get the surgery???
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-07-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, and I feel for the guy who broke his collarbone....I broke both mine in the last 4 years playing rugby....and I thought I was making the smart move quitting rugby to focus on wakeboarding. :-) (I dont regret it!!!)