Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (WestYeti)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-08-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
I'm looking into getting a new board; I have only ever ridden a solid traditional board, but have noticed an increase in pro riders using flex boards for riding on the boat (Bob Soven etc.) My riding style is very smooth and flowly, I like taking tricks and big grabs to the flats, and I also love carving around, sliding the board and such. So I was wondering if anyone could offer insight as to the attraction to flex boards for boat riding, and if you have any experience, preference and why.
The more feedback the better!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-08-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
I ride slingshot. The landings are soft in the flats and I love how the board edges. Unless some new magical stiff board comes out, I will be sticking with slingshot. Just to remind myself, every now and then I hop on my Watson Classic and shred a little. It doesn't take me but a couple of landings to switch back. This is all just my opinion and personal experience.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
I did an initial summer hopping on and off a slingshot after they first came out, and then finally made the full switch. They're not for everyone, but I think they are for most. It just seems more lively and interactive, and once comfortable with a slightly different riding style, they ride smoother and seem to land softer. Now that I predominantly ride cable it's even more ideal to have a flexier board, with that said I prefer the stiffer Slingshots in their line.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-08-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
Totally agree with the above comments. I've fully converted to flex behind the boat and couldn't be happier with my Slingshot. Its such a playful board and its so fun to carve around on, but it also pops harder than anything I've ever ridden and lands pillow soft no matter what. I saw on another thread that you're coming from a Ronix One, and with that in mind you should definitely check out the Slingshot Recoil. It's a 3 stage rocker just like the One but it gives you all the benefits of the flex as well. I agree that its not for everyone, but at this point I don't think I'll ever ride a totally stiff board again.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-09-2014, 12:08 AM Reply   
As you are in the UK, why not try a Vampire board? - whereabouts are you and where do you ride?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2014, 12:37 AM Reply   
We only ride boat and I made the switch to a flex board when the Company Recruit came out and I liked that board and than went to a Watson Hybrid. After a couple of years I switched to a Ronix One Time Bomb, and I just prefer the traditional boards. I have never found the landing to be especially hard on the Ronix, I just prefer the way it rides, pops and edges.

Last week I went and took a set on my Watson and I immediatley didn't like it as much as the Ronix.
Old     (WestYeti)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-09-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've looked into either a LF B.O.B or a Harley, going to look at them both on Saturday, sounds like I could be persuaded to go for a more flexi ride! Any negatives about flexi boards, even though the consensus seems very positive!
Chris, I ride at a little lake called pickmere, no clubhouse or anything but it's a gorgeous lake and is nearly always flat or glassy
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-09-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
this seems like as good as place as any to bring this up, but will a flex board lose it's pop faster than a traditional board?

I rode a slingshot for my first 1 1/2 years of riding, then switched to a watson hybrid for last 2 seasons and was in love with it the entire time. But my first 5 sets this year were really off, inconsistent pop, less ollie height. At first I thought it was a combination of shaking out the off season cob webs and some poor water conditions, but then I rode my watson classic, which has barely been used before, and instantly had the consistency back and was getting the pop I'd expect. I still feel like it could be in my head, but even the people on the boat noticed a difference.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-09-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
I think it is in your head. I have had people say the vice versa of you. Once they hop on a slingshot, they are immediately getting more pop. I personnaly don't notice the difference in the pop area when switching between the two. I am sure there are some differences but they aren't noticeable to me.

Alfie,
Just something to think about. I would think the B.O.B will be more durable than the Harley. I owned the Harley two summers ago. It is a good board. I actually regret selling it but I needed to make room in my garage. The B.O.B. should be more playful while doing surface tricks. I can't comment on the pop on the B.O.B. but they Harley has some good pop.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-09-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
I've only had a brief education in physics but from my understanding I think a flex board is counter productive in generating line tension, speed, and pop....But hey, if a flex board makes you think you ride better then it's probably true. There's no substitute for confidence.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-09-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I think it is in your head. I have had people say the vice versa of you. Once they hop on a slingshot, they are immediately getting more pop. I personnaly don't notice the difference in the pop area when switching between the two. I am sure there are some differences but they aren't noticeable to me.
no, I am not saying flex vs non flex which one will give more pop. Was asking which will last longer before it goes "soft"? read several threads on people saying their boards are losing their pop ,and I think thats what is going on with my w.hybrid. I thought it was in my head before reading those threads, but now I think it's actually softer than when it was new and I was wondering if hybrid boards are more susceptible to that. That would explain why after 2 years all of a sudden my pop is inconsistent on the primary board and like clock work on my newer backup board.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-09-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie_09 View Post
no, I am not saying flex vs non flex which one will give more pop. Was asking which will last longer before it goes "soft"? read several threads on people saying their boards are losing their pop ,and I think thats what is going on with my w.hybrid. I thought it was in my head before reading those threads, but now I think it's actually softer than when it was new and I was wondering if hybrid boards are more susceptible to that. That would explain why after 2 years all of a sudden my pop is inconsistent on the primary board and like clock work on my newer backup board.
I have heard something similar to this before but I am curious to how believable it is. I will honestly tell you have I haven't rode a board for 2 years straight to verify this. I was a board whore for a while till I finally found something I liked.

Just to give an idea of the history of boards I have tried in order of trying them since I learned to wakeboard. 2007 Ronix Vault, 2012 LF Watson Classic, 2012 LF Harley, 2012 LF Shane Hybrid, 2014 SS Lyman, and now riding the 2014 SS Choice.

Other boards I have taken for a set or two include:
2013 SS Recoil
2014 SS Recoil
2011 SS Response
2012 LF Tex
2012 LF Jett (I know, chick board but I wanted to see what my gf was working with while riding)
2012 LF S4

Out of all the boards I have tried and the one that I truely enjoy(ed) the most is the 2014 SS Choice.

Last edited by dezul; 07-09-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-09-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
I've only had a brief education in physics but from my understanding I think a flex board is counter productive in generating line tension, speed, and pop....But hey, if a flex board makes you think you ride better then it's probably true. There's no substitute for confidence.
I have wondered on this as well. It seems like you would be correct as in Wakesurfing, Ronix started making a carbon line made with carbon fiber specifically to reduce flex so you can maintain consistent speed and get more air. I would think the same principal would apply to wakeboarding as well. I have wondered about it with all the flex boards coming out vs the traditional boards. I am due for a new wakeboard any time now, but not sure what to get either, just because of this question.
I get that the landings could be softer on a flex board, being that it would absorb more of the impact, but I'm not sure how it affects your pop.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
Why do flex-boards land softer? Because you are not going as high. Plain an simple. I have never since the slingshots started coming out ever seen someone go bigger on a soft board. That said, I spent a year on one (Company Severance) and it was a lot of fun (also note that board had a PVC core between the feet). I felt like superman when I went back to a stiff board.

I think flex board are great off the wake if you are an expert rider and are looking for something different to ride. Like taking a break from short boarding to ride a fish (in the ocean).

I like a softer board in the park, but I want a rock off the wake.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-09-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Why do flex-boards land softer? Because you are not going as high.
I agree, but even if the jump height was the same I could still argue that the flex attribute would cause it to land just as hard or harder.

1. Flex boards are "slower" causing more of a stopping force upon landing.
2. Just like a bow, the flex of the board stores energy upon landing giving the rider the initial sensation of a softer landing. Once the board rebounds back to shape all of that energy is released up the riders legs.

No scientist here. If anyone else has any other thoughts on this (even opposing) please share. Help me understand the advantages of a flex board behind the boat!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-09-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
I see a lot of the locals here go huge off of slingshot. Actually most people I know are trading out their boards for slingshots and they mostly only ride behind the boat. I think most people on here thinks the board plays a major part in going huge, good technique plays 95 percent of going huge. It isn't the board. The landings however is different. Popping out into the flats on a high vertical jump is a lot softer on a slingshot. This is from my personal experience on how my hip feels on the landing.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Look at the top finishers on the pro tour. Those guys are riding for money. How many rock a flex boards for boat?
IMHO flex is just too inconsistent for boat riding and I lose a lot of tricks when I hop on my SS. it is fun to ride though if you just want to tool around and do butters etc.

The landings are not any softer. That's just marketing BS.

Try before you buy and make a choice that's best for you.......
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
This can all be solved with science. Anyone have one of those "Shadowbox" things they were pushing so hard a few years ago. Finally, a use I could see for that thing. It measures:Height, hang time and G-force. All questions finally answered.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-09-2014, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustfarter View Post
Look at the top finishers on the pro tour. Those guys are riding for money. How many rock a flex boards for boat?
IMHO flex is just too inconsistent for boat riding and I lose a lot of tricks when I hop on my SS. it is fun to ride though if you just want to tool around and do butters etc.

The landings are not any softer. That's just marketing BS.

Try before you buy and make a choice that's best for you.......
Your post is full of stupid. Softer landings is not marketing bs. It is fact. I know this cause I promise you I would probably be riding something else if it wasn't for the softer landings.

The pros ride whatever company will sign them, give them money, and have a decent board to ride. Its all about the Benjamin's.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
The Ronix One Time Bomb is the stiffest board Ronix makes and I find the landings are pretty soft actually. The consistency and pop is perfection.

I think with a little time though, a person can get used to almost any board.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-09-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
I know flex isn't for everyone, but you can't deny that there are obvious benefits. Here's the way I see it: The pop may not be as consistent on a flex board, but someone with proper form can ride a flex board very consistently and very well. In my experience I've found that a flex board really exaggerates poor technique. Those of my friends who have made the switch are mainly riders who's pop and edging are solid and consistent no matter what board they're on. Most of the time I can tell when someone who tries my Slingshot is not going to like it because their technique and timing is wack on a traditional board as it is, its just exaggerated even more on a flex board. Anyone who says the landings aren't any softer clearly has not ridden or gone big enough on a flex board to be able to notice. If this rebound "shock wave" that you guys are theorizing about exists, why can't I feel it? Or if we did, why would those of us who ride flex boards deny it? As for the idea that either one makes you a better or worse rider, I think thats completely ridiculous. Just like the clubs don't make the player in golf, the board you're on (within reason) does not make you a better rider, you do. Like 501s said, pretty much anyone can get used to any board, its just a matter of preference.

You anti-flex guys are probably right though. Watson, Bob, Oli Derome, Jeff Langley, Scott Stewart, Jeff Mckee, Shane Bonifay, and Lyman would probably be waaaaay better riders if they would quit riding those overhyped "flex boards" behind the boat.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-09-2014, 5:49 PM Reply   
I think it is funny that all major brands have flex boards of some sort and they aren't marketed as cable boards either. I understand slingshot isn't for everyone and that is fine. But to say they are inferior because you don't ride them well or cause the pros on the podium is not using them is ludicrous.

Don't forget Jeff House. He rocks the SS Choice behind the boat.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-10-2014, 5:13 PM Reply   
O.k. Whatever dezul. Like I said. Rock what works for you. All I'm saying to the OP is don't drink the flex cool aid too much. I ride both style boards regularly btw and I also see a lot of big opinions coming from dudes who suck at riding and would't know the difference anyway.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
A few thoughts on the whole flexboard argument.

Unless you personally know or touch a pro rider's board I would'nt automatically assume flex or non-flex. Most pros get custom layups, etc. I have also seen different shapes with signature graphics...so that whole argument is kind of moot.

What I can say with some certainty is that (a few years ago) the wake-trend among the pros (I was able to chat with) was a custom lay up traditional board that was STIFFER than factory/retail boards. Yes you had your occasional guy riding flex behind the boat but most were looking for a very stiff board to maximize wake energy and not distort on landings (stiff = faster landing = easier on your knees; less sinking and more forward momentum).

Now, I have no idea what the current situation is (I no longer hang with that crowd)...but that was what was happening a few years ago...when flex as all the rage and new on the scene.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
I have put Jeff House's board on the board rack when he came and rode with us. It was definitely the SS Choice.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-10-2014, 6:28 PM Reply   
All else equal, I definitely get more pop on my traditional boards than I do flex boards behind the boat. It's not even close.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-11-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Ramp+Speed+Line Tension creates "Pop" right? Can someone explain how a flex board can create the same amount of line tension and speed as a stiff board?
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-11-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
Ramp+Speed+Line Tension creates "Pop" right? Can someone explain how a flex board can create the same amount of line tension and speed as a stiff board?
Line tension and speed both have to do with your cut, not your board. Sure some boards ride faster than others (its easier to set into a hard edge) but the tension you build before you hit the wake is up to you. Not really sure how flex would factor into that at all. I guarantee you that 90% of flex boards with continuous rockers ride faster than stiff boards with 3-staged and blended rockers.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-11-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Line tension and speed both have to do with your cut, not your board. .
Ya that makes a lot of sense

I guess it has nothing to do with the type of rope you're using either right? Just like a "flex" board a "stretch" rope will absorb energy, therefore requiring more energy than the "non-stretch" rope to do the same amount of work (in this case tension).

Going back to the stiff vs. flex argument, a flex board would have the same capacity to aid in the creation of line tension but it would require more work/energy to do so than a stiff board that doesn't flex/absorb energy.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2014, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
Ya that makes a lot of sense

I guess it has nothing to do with the type of rope you're using either right? Just like a "flex" board a "stretch" rope will absorb energy, therefore requiring more energy than the "non-stretch" rope to do the same amount of work (in this case tension).

Going back to the stiff vs. flex argument, a flex board would have the same capacity to aid in the creation of line tension but it would require more work/energy to do so than a stiff board that doesn't flex/absorb energy.
You make it sound like these boards are as floppy as your dick. All I am hearing from this thread is you pussies are too much of a vigina to add some line tension....which I don't feel as any different to a stiff board. Sorry you don't like flex boards....but you really need to quit being a pussy.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-11-2014, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
You make it sound like these boards are as floppy as your dick. All I am hearing from this thread is you pussies are too much of a vigina to add some line tension....which I don't feel as any different to a stiff board. Sorry you don't like flex boards....but you really need to quit being a pussy.
Thanks for your contribution to the thread Tim. You make some great points
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2014, 8:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
Thanks for your contribution to the thread Tim. You make some great points
You too. All of your points are opinion based...just like everyone else posting on thread.

Here is a "flex" board for you. It gets no pop.

Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-12-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
Here's one of my flex board getting no pop as well. The "shock wave" I felt when I landed was unreal
Attached Images
 
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-12-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
OP, do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY AN LF PRODUCT. Or HL or CWB or any other brand owned by Kent Sports. These companies aren't building products at a level of quality like Slingshot or Ronix. I've owned a setup from almost every brand and that ended when I bought a Slingshot setup.

My first board was a 142 Recoil with D3 boots. This was in 09 so I believe the boards had a little more flex than they do now as the new boards are all wood(which is a very good thing). It took me awhile to learn how to load the board to pop off the wake but when I got it figured I started getting more consistent pop off the wake, I'd say my W2W got a little higher and further out in to the flats. Always land on the tail and it acts as a leaf spring, cushiest landings of any board i've ever ridden.

Next and current setup was the original Slingshot Lyman 144 with RAD boots. I haven't ridden a board like this before ever. It still has flex, more than any "traditional board" but is stiff enough that it didn't need pre loading and can be ridden incredibly fast in to the wake, the pop resembled a rocket taking off from NASA and the landings are smooth like my Recoil because there is just enough flex.

I will tell you right now, Slingshot is the best brand there is in this sport. They stand behind their product better than any other brand. They are one of the few companies producing full length wake videos still, most of their riders aren't comp riders and they're still getting support from SS. Oh ya, they're also DESIGNED AND BUILT IN THE USA WITH AMERICAN HARDWOODS. Why would you buy anything else?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-21-2014, 11:06 AM Reply   
I rode a Company severance which I loved then went to a slingshot hooke which was lot stiffer and now I'm riding a Ronix code 22. All I can offer about the line tension speed pop argument is that I never really noticed a decrease in pop with my severance which was softer than the hooke I would find I would be breathing hard and tired after my sets. I think I was just working harder to get the the same speed. This could be because I always had so much fun slashing and buttering on it I wore myself out! I can get more speed with less effort on my code for sure which as an 31 year old intermediate rider with a few inverts and spins I don't really need. I loved the severance and loved the code 22. I think you just need to figure out what's most important to you.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-28-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
sooooooo how about camber? ahhahaa
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-22-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
So I recently gave into the flex/wood trend going on. Read a lot about it this summer and it seemed like the real deal. Found the Slingshot Recoil to be most likely the best option for my riding. Mostly behind the boat. Let me tell you, this is the best board choice I've ever made. Don't think I'll ever go away from a flex/wood board. Doesn't matter if it's behind the boat or on rails, this thing is the way to go. I've been riding for about 15 years, but this board gave me a new amazing riding experience that I haven't felt in years. I really wish that I made the switch a little sooner. I feel like I've been missing out for years. I know everyone talks about flex boards at the cable, but even behind the boat it was fun to ride. As soon as i did my first slaysh, i knew i was going to love this board. I could do tail presses with such ease and such control. I used to ride a LF Witness, I would try to tail press that thing. Thought I could do a decent one I guess. But it's so much better to do one on the Slingshot now. I have a pic on here to show the difference. Also, popping off the wake was really sweet. The board is so light weight that it's very easy to maneuver in the air. I will say there's a consistency thing that I'm still working on, especially on the approach. It really is like a "slingshot" effect with the flex characteristics of the board. The board also doesn't let you get away with crappy posture or form. I'm confident I'll get there once I get in a few more sets. But when you hit it right, it sends you flying straight up. And right back down to the water with such soft landings.

One thing to note, Slingshot boards have very thin profiles with pretty sharp edges all the way around. So it's not very forgiving on falls or edge catches. Besides that, no complaints at all. Just such a fun ride that I'm glad to look forward to. Can't wait to try it on rails soon.

Lastly, this board has a veryyyy basic bottom. No triple quad double fancy concaves to worry about. Just a flat bottom board with small fins and sharp edges. My last board (Witness) had a very back foot heavy/almost too reliant on fins setup. I feel that it almost hindered my riding ability and progression. I snowboard a lot as well. So I'm almost used to more of a front foot style of riding, with a natural feeling for edging. This Slingshot board, with the basic bottom and sharp edges, is ALL about using your edges, not your fins, to turn or carve the board. I feel that's the best way to progress anyone's riding, no matter what skill level. That'll teach the best fundamentals of the approach when you go to pop at the wake.

Anyways, can't say enough about it. Go try it out if you haven't already, or if you are hesitant like I was for so long.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-23-2014, 1:35 AM Reply   
A big part of how well a flex board will work has a lot to do with the size of the rider. If the rider is 120lbs It will be fine. I bet I flex a non flex as much as small rider does on a flex. Once you get over around 150,160 the board will start flexing to much and it will effect your pop. IMO flex boards are not good for boat, They are fun but well not help your riding. I truly have never seen anyone ride better on a flex board. (Even small riders) Everyone thinks they do at first, but as soon as they get on a non flex again they ride much better. The other problem with flex boards is they will lose pop/flex out a lot sooner. I notice a normal board starts to loses pop between 10-20 rides. I have rode flex boards behind boat after 3 or 4 rides they start flexing out. They also break a lot soon. All boards will break, it's just a matter of how long. I hate breaking boards. When the flex craze first happen I was going to make the jump. I broke two flex boards on the first set and was over it. Now I know they have got a lot better, And I don't break boards like I used to but they still break sooner than non flex. Another thing is the "flex lands softer", not buying it. It's a marketing tool. When you land even a standard wakeboard will flex and make the landing softer. Think about it like suspension on a motorcycle. If you are trail riding you want softer suspension so you don't feel ever rock, root or bump in the trail, but if are riding supercross you want stiffer suspension, you will feel the small stuff more but the big jumps will land smooth. If you had the soft suspension you would bottom out and fell more impact. Same with boards if it's softer it will flex out sooner and go flat, nothing to take away the impact. It's like landing on a flat board. Flex boards are great. I have 3 of them, I love them at the cable! They are a lot more fun on rails then a standard board. They have there place but it's not behind the boat.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-23-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapaf1f View Post
A big part of how well a flex board will work has a lot to do with the size of the rider. If the rider is 120lbs It will be fine. I bet I flex a non flex as much as small rider does on a flex. Once you get over around 150,160 the board will start flexing to much and it will effect your pop. IMO flex boards are not good for boat, They are fun but well not help your riding. I truly have never seen anyone ride better on a flex board. (Even small riders) Everyone thinks they do at first, but as soon as they get on a non flex again they ride much better. The other problem with flex boards is they will lose pop/flex out a lot sooner. I notice a normal board starts to loses pop between 10-20 rides. I have rode flex boards behind boat after 3 or 4 rides they start flexing out. They also break a lot soon. All boards will break, it's just a matter of how long. I hate breaking boards. When the flex craze first happen I was going to make the jump. I broke two flex boards on the first set and was over it. Now I know they have got a lot better, And I don't break boards like I used to but they still break sooner than non flex. Another thing is the "flex lands softer", not buying it. It's a marketing tool. When you land even a standard wakeboard will flex and make the landing softer. Think about it like suspension on a motorcycle. If you are trail riding you want softer suspension so you don't feel ever rock, root or bump in the trail, but if are riding supercross you want stiffer suspension, you will feel the small stuff more but the big jumps will land smooth. If you had the soft suspension you would bottom out and fell more impact. Same with boards if it's softer it will flex out sooner and go flat, nothing to take away the impact. It's like landing on a flat board. Flex boards are great. I have 3 of them, I love them at the cable! They are a lot more fun on rails then a standard board. They have there place but it's not behind the boat.

To each his own. Not for everyone, but definitely worth checking out. Are you like 400 lbs?
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-23-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapaf1f View Post
..... Another thing is the "flex lands softer", not buying it. It's a marketing tool. When you land even a standard wakeboard will flex and make the landing softer. ....
It's yours subjective opinion only. Your logic has end: "concrete has the same soft landing as snow". Congratulation!
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-23-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Also, if flex boards suck so much then why did Scott Stewart leave Hyperlite and join SS? He goes as big as anyone we've seen. Heard that his SS is a knee saver..
Why would Lyman join SS as his last and final company before enlisting into the military? Heard he really liked SS innovative flex technology.
Why would Daniel Watkins switch to SS after many long years with Obrien?
Why have McKee and House stuck with SS since the very beginning? Oh yea that's right, they are still absolutely shredding behind the boat with massive style.
Lastly, why have people created threads on here expressing how amazing SS is as a company and as a quality product, that's made in the USA?
Go America
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-23-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevSML View Post
Also, if flex boards suck so much then why did Scott Stewart leave Hyperlite and join SS? He goes as big as anyone we've seen. Heard that his SS is a knee saver..
Why would Lyman join SS as his last and final company before enlisting into the military? Heard he really liked SS innovative flex technology.
Why would Daniel Watkins switch to SS after many long years with Obrien?
Why have McKee and House stuck with SS since the very beginning? Oh yea that's right, they are still absolutely shredding behind the boat with massive style.
Lastly, why have people created threads on here expressing how amazing SS is as a company and as a quality product, that's made in the USA?
Go America
You do realize that these people are getting paid to ride right? Nobody is saying SS isn't a great company. He even said that he owns flex boards and likes them. To me, your first example of Scott Stewart proves his point. A guy who goes big comes to slingshot and what does he do with his first pro model? He creates the stiffest board that they've ever made. There is a reason for that. I tried flex for the first time this year and went with one of their stiffer boards. It's a blast to play around on and I love riding it but the pop does not compare to a traditional board like my Marek.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
I kind of agree with Stuart. The top competitive riders, and most of the guys that go the biggest, and are pioneering new tricks do not ride a flex board. If flex had an advantage, these guys would be designing their pro model boards around a flex platform.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-23-2014, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
You do realize that these people are getting paid to ride right? Nobody is saying SS isn't a great company. He even said that he owns flex boards and likes them. To me, your first example of Scott Stewart proves his point. A guy who goes big comes to slingshot and what does he do with his first pro model? He creates the stiffest board that they've ever made. There is a reason for that. I tried flex for the first time this year and went with one of their stiffer boards. It's a blast to play around on and I love riding it but the pop does not compare to a traditional board like my Marek.
+1
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-23-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
I don't necessarily disagree. Everyone is different. Everyone rides differently and enjoys doing certain types of tricks. There's many things you can do on a wakeboard besides getting big air. That's what is great about wakeboarding, so many different ways to have a good time while riding. But if big air is your thing and non flex helps you out more, then that's awesome, stick with non flex boards. I'm just pointing out the fact that it's worth trying a flex board if someone is on the fence.
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-23-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
I've ridden SS for the last 3 years, and just switched to a Ronix One. I've had 3 sets on the Ronix board, and have to say I'm disappointed. I've ridden Recoils exclusively, and had a Shredtown for cable. After I broke my last Recoil (fast track) I was forced to use my Shredtown behind the boat waiting for another "boat" board to come in. The Shredtown was still a better fit for me, and I hate continuous rocker boards for boat. The debate over pop comes down to what works for you, a traditional board doesn't pop any harder than a flex board...same thing goes for 3 stage vs. continuous....it's all about technique.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
Been years since I have posted but anyway....

In terns of flex not landing softer and the rebound instantly going to your legs I offer an experiment. Ride one of those old school mini bikes sans springs and shocks over a 2 foot kicker and then repeat with a similar size motorbike with springs (i.e. flex) and see how much energy gets transferred to your body between the two. I know that is not the same as a wakeboard but similar principles apply. Now if you land dead flat on a flex deck you really are not taking advantage of the flex and without bottom features in most flex decks might even be a harder (more rapid deceleration) landing. Land a little on the tail and the board will flex (decrease rate of deceleration) with a softer landing.

I tend to agree flex decks are more finicky that exagerates less than ideal technique but it can be mastered.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-24-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevSML View Post
Also, if flex boards suck so much then why did Scott Stewart leave Hyperlite and join SS? He goes as big as anyone we've seen. Heard that his SS is a knee saver..
Why would Lyman join SS as his last and final company before enlisting into the military? Heard he really liked SS innovative flex technology.
Why would Daniel Watkins switch to SS after many long years with Obrien?
Why have McKee and House stuck with SS since the very beginning? Oh yea that's right, they are still absolutely shredding behind the boat with massive style.
Lastly, why have people created threads on here expressing how amazing SS is as a company and as a quality product, that's made in the USA?
Go America
keith has been spotted riding scott's new shape (blue pill) recently...

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:14 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us