Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (mmtyler24)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Hey, so i'm a beginner and I'm just starting to get down crossing over both wakes(not jumping-crossing). I'm mainly falling on the second wake going toeside, but I think I'll get it down soon. So my question basically is, what should I start working on next? I would like to do an ollie, read up on how to do it. Just seeing if anyone else can explain it better, as my attempts were unsuccessful. Anything else good to start learning? I have a few more w/e's to ride, would like to get something down before the end of the season!!!
Old     (bekahb)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-27-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Amber Wing taught me something that made riding more fluid and stable. It helps on the ollie as well. I was taught to have a more balanced stance. I was a back leaner BIG time. She told me to stand with both of my knees facing away from the edge of the board and stand in a slight squat with my butt over the board. Then to turn my upper body towards the boat and lean with the top of my body. I find I put more weight on my front foot now and it makes it easier on my legs. The first thing I do when I get up is check my stance and get comfortable on it. Then I carve inside the wake to get comfortable on my edges, then I cut over and carve out on the flats up to the wake. I also try ollies with one hand. It makes balancing easier for me. Then I try one wake jumps to get comfortable with my pop. Once I feel stable enough, have my edging continuous through the wake, then I cut all the way out and charge it. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old     (mmtyler24)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, it should help. I'm a little confused w/the standing with your knees away from the edge of the board part. I'm having a hard time picturing that. I'm gonna try edging inside the wake more, and one handed. I've been told I put way too much weight on my back heels. thanks
Old     (bekahb)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-27-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
pretty much keep your knees aligned with your toes. Don't "twist" your legs with your upper body. Keep your knees and thighs facing out, the same direction your toes are.

and i'm jealous your season isn't over.
Old     (holycow)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-28-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Learn how to ride switch and all your surface 180s. It will be good in the long run.

Much love,
Maria Nguyen
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Is it possible to do a surface 180 with fins on? I've tried and seriously, I'm getting tired of face plants! =) and I can only do it when the boat is going real slow. Any tips?

And like the OP asked, how do you ollie?
Old     (bekahb)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-28-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
Surface 180's are WAY easier without fins. I LOVE riding finless. It helps with progressive edging through the wake. And I can do all kinds of slides in the flats and on the wake.

In Wakeboarding magazine there are some good tips on ollies.

When I try to ollie (hah try), I go out to the flats, let go with my back hand, shove my back foot down and then let it pop back up and lift with both legs. I have only ollied over small round slalom bouys because I haven't gauged how high I pop.