Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-26-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Hey guys & gals-

I bought a low-time 2005 (new to me) Sanger V215 and am still in the process of learning the boat. Took it out yesterday with a buddy, sans wife & kids, and spent some time getting to know the boat a bit.

Somewhere during filling the front ballast bag (perhaps overfilling), I broke the through-hull transducers epoxy seal to the bottom of the boat, rendering the depth gauge useless for the day.

I'm not sure this was a factory mounted option. It's a Uniden QT206 model. My first question is, does anyone know if this model is the factory installed unit. And the second question is, where are your transducer pucks mounted/installed on your V215 (both factory and self-installed).

Next question for you ... it was my understanding that the way to fill the ballasts was to turn on the fill pump until water came vented out of an "overfill" hole somewhere on the boat. I had assumed this was the rear most holes in the rear corners (port and starboard) of the boat. And that it was one of the holes up near the fuel vent on the starboard side for the front ballast. Am I correct? When I filled the front ballast, it don't believe it ever "overfilled" overboard. In fact the bag swelled so badly that it pushed up the removable floor for that compartment.

And lastly, how do I completely empty the water out of the ballasts? Specifically the front bag. It seems to never empty completely. And that compartment always seems to be damp, nasty, and have a bit of water down in the bottom. Is this normal? My old Sanger DXII had a drain plug in the bottom of the boat, dead center, just aft of the ski pylon. Is there any comparable plug in these V-drive boats.

Thanks again for any and all help/suggestions/etc.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-26-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
The front center ballast will bulge the locker lid when full. The rears will pour steadily out the rear holes. The front out to the right of the windshield near the bilge opening. The front bag should empty most of the way. Then turn the pump on as you drive about 12mph and the rest will leave.
You can reglue the depth gauge in the original location but you don't want air bubbles so a new spot might be better. Use regular epoxy and mix it carefully to avoid bubbles. Mine is self installed ahead of the driveshaft and offset to the side a bit to avoid turbulence from the fins. The sensor should shoot straight down.
Congrats on the 215.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-26-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Art ... that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was a bit surprised to see the original mount location for the puck. Any hints/suggestions as to how you ran the wire from your transducer up to the panel? Also, just for clarification; is the Uniden unit that comes from Sanger? Is the front ballast locker the stock location? And lastly, if I'm understanding your response correctly, the front will never pour out the front when filling, only when emptying? Thanks again.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-26-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
dtc, my puck is located under the v-drive area, not in the forward ballast bag area (for the depth finder). The front ballast bag will continue to expand and pop the floor panel loose. I dont think Ive ever had mine overflow, because I stop filling before the floor panel pops up (actually I always watch to make sure i fill right up to where its going to contact the floor board).

regarding draining the bags, what art said. Drain them as best you can at rest, then put the boat in gear and push the nose in the air to drain the bags to the back and the rest will pump out. You'll probably never get them 100% empty unless you take them out to drain them. But no issue with leaving a half gallon in each bag IMO...

Its pretty normal for that forward bag area to get nasty. I try to keep mine clean, but as water gets in the bilge, it is free to slop forward and backward. Its not uncommon to get nastiness from the bilge area to wash forward and rearward throughout the hull...
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
Not trying to hijack but is there anyway to pump out the nastiness as oppossed to a wet/dry vac?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-26-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
I park mine on my driveway with an incline and just hose out the hull and it all runs out the drain hole
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-26-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
I use Starbrite Sea Safe bilge cleaner at the end of every season.

You could follow the battery cables or shifter cable with the sensor wire. I don't know if Uniden is stock or not.

I've forgotten the switch on for my ballast and, yes, it definitely comes out of the overflow/drain opening.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Here is a thread from a few years back on the depth sounder location.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...8&referrerid=0
I just shopvac out the locker couple times a year.
We also park off to the side of the ramp if its not busy and pull the drain plug most of the water in the ski locker will drain out just takes a few minutes as it has to travel through two bulkheads under the gas tank and then out the transom.
Attached Images

Last edited by yubasanger; 08-27-2010 at 12:31 PM.