Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (Swimfartlek)      Join Date: May 2014       05-28-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
Hey everybody, I've got a 2007 X-star Salt series with the Crusader 6.0L engine, about 220 hours. Recently I've been having throttle issues which was causing a check engine code at RPMs greater than 3000 rpms. Then I thought i heard a funny rhythm even when the engine wasn't throwing the code... Took it to the only shop in the area that services the crusader engine, and the code was "Throttle Actuator Control" where they ended up fixing the Throttle position sensor, not a huge expense. No more engine code!

Then they put it back in the water and the number 5 and 6 cylinders are just dead (explains the funny rhythm). So they swapped the plugs, wires, and coil, and all were just fine which makes them think that it's a injector problem. Their recommendation going forward = tear off the top of the engine to inspect/clean/replace the injectors. Seems like a legit diagnosis to me, with the only problem being that labor at this shop is 119/hour, and their estimate is $655 to just get down to the injectors and test them, without including reassembly cost... ouch!!

My question is twofold...
1) Has anybody worked on this engine before and can comment on the difficultly of this? Given the price... I am looking into either doing it myself or just giving it to an vehicle engine shop with more reasonable labor costs. It seems like its been narrowed down to an engine problem instead of a marine problem.

2) While I have it apart, would it be worth it to inspect the other injectors? Service/chean/check anything else in there? I don't want to add too many extra costs, but damn I don't want the other cylinders to fail in just a few months/year when I could have fixed it now!

I'm pretty new to boating, made the purchase July of last year, and open to suggestions. Thoughts?