Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-10-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
is there any exercises that can help trick mind into thinking your riding regular. or is it just practice, practice, practice.
Old    sdahockey21            02-12-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
get up regular edge out do an in side out 180 so now you are riding switch, edge back in and do a 1 wake halfcab 180

then practice, practice, practice

I knew I needed to learn switch and kept putting it off until "next session" but it was not until my riding buddies pushed me to ride switch and try some HS halfcab 180s to match my reg 180s. I actually landed one and I saw a point to push myself to ride switch, once you get ok at riding switch you kinda get the drive you do when you are learning a new trick regular, but its "easier" and you want it more because you know how to do it, you just "can't" lol

but seriously once you commit a whole session to riding switch, you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and end up riding switch because you want to progress and not because you know you have to to progress....

Wow get it???

Basically I just said practice OK?
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
ride a skate board switch and only switch around the block everyday for a week then go out and start switch on your wakeboard and ride it more
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
you know whats funny scott is i can ride a skateboard switch anyday without problems but the second that handle gets into my hand i have a hell of a time riding switch, but i practiced practiced, practiced and now i pretty much have the hang of it.

so basically its just skate snowboard and wakeboar to get better at it.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
its too bad everyone puts off riding switch. I know I have... i was snowboarding this past weekend and i started riding switch a little bit at the beginning of the day and was getting so much better at it by the end of the day... its one of those things that feels terrible when you first try it, and it seems impossible at first... but it gets so much easier surprisingly fast. look at it this way, you know how to learn how to ride this time around. you just gotta go an do it!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
IMHO the best way to learn switch is with a buddy. Take a switch doubles set, that makes learning much easier and fun.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-05-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
I'm gonna try this next time i go out im gonna take one of my beginner friends and play poser iwth him only im gonna do everything switch
Old     (evank)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-05-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
sounds like a good plan MAtt B think ill try that this year to probably make it alot more fun to learn switch better
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
If you can regular toeside backroll, and switch heelside w2w jump, you are capable of doing a switch backroll to revert.
Old     (chefwong)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-06-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
What helps me alot is to not just wakeboard...

Switch is a mental block for all board sports. So when I go snowboarding I'm riding switch all the time and it really helps me out feeling more comfortable
Old    benj_t            03-08-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
yea i cant get as much air switch as i do regular. and i really need tips on that. i do tons and tons of switch w2w and half-cabs but everytime i just can not get the pop im goin to need when im gonna do harder switch tricks. i think i come off the top of the wake with my knees slightly bent but even if i try, i cant get it every time. some times on my really crappy switch jumps it feels like i just shoot right across to the other wake with like no air. its really frusterating so tips would be nice!
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
you gotta work on your progressive edging.... i had a hard time with this but once i got it...i feel a better pop switch now than i do regular...make sure you cut out really far to setup a long approach. let the slack catch up and start your edge really slow. make sure the handle is close and bend your knees edging a little harder...then make sure you stand tall at the wake and you should have no problem getting pop unless ur behind a bass boat. one thing that helped me was doing W2W jjumps and not going half cab...it teaches you not to spin off the wake....once you learn this then you can add a grab and stall the 180 till the end and make it look sick!!
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
once you get the hang of it then you won't have to cut out so far....the reason this helps is to give you time to recognize the progressive edge....too many times i would rush my edge and get squirelly and have to overcompensate at the wake and it would be a mess with no pop....skippin across the wake
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-14-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
If you get the chance, go for a ride at a cable park. You can cut lap after lap switch and just play with it. After a while you forget whether you are regular or not. But otherwise as the guys said, practice makes perfect. MAybe start the warmup for each set by riding switch, playing with the wake, trying some ollies and even 180s.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-29-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
im right there with you i am a newb and riding switch is like threading a needle with boxing gloves on. i cant do it. i try every time out but cant get the hang of it. im not going to stop trying and i will try the skateboard trick to see if that helps.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Poke's got the recipe. Focus on the basics of your regular wake jump and just apply them to riding switch. Its all the same its just that you're other foot is forward.

what helps me out more than anything is to focus on my handle/body position and my edge. i dont even think ab the pop cuz i know if i do everything else right the correct pop is the result. you have to keep it simple or else you're going to beat the hell outta yourself.

taking this approach to hittin the wake switch has also really helped me out riding regular as well. it taught me to not get into such a hurry. every maneuver can be accomplished by simply using the correct edge and keeping yourself in the correct body position.

i ride with the same 2-3 people everyday and just ab after every set i get back in the boat they ask me..."was that switch or regular?" i like that
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-08-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
jr I had someone say that to me recently...they couldn't tell if I was riding switch or regular, it just made me smile.

Not to put anyone elses methods down, but there is one way in my opinion to really get good at switch riding. Ride switch. That's it. I still love Murray's old bit in the beginning of Dentention....something like "I don't go into riding switch much because it's a mental block that can easily be overcome by just relaxing". LOL...he's probably right, but it takes a lot of practice to just relax.

If you think that you will get it after one dedicated session of riding switch, you won't. You need to ride as much as possible in the switch position, muscle memory is what it's all about in this sport.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-11-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
I just didnt know any better, My father in law said " you have change every time you cross the wake so your toes are pointing toward the boat" After a few face plants I learned to switch back & forth . I just thought that's what you do....