Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-04-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Hi everyone, I love reading on this board and want to ask everyones opinion. We are looking to buy a wakeboard boat and can only spend about 40k. We want at LEAST 22 ft. We love Supra's, Mastercrafts and Moombas. Should be go with a used Supra 22V or a new Moomba XLV (we think we can get a an 'o8 for around 45k or less)Or should be look for a used x-star? In your opinion, what is the best bang for our buck?
Thanks!
Donna
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-04-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Check out Sangers or Supremes, Tracy Boat Sales in California had some great deals last time I was in there looking around call my buddy Eric at 209-835-6565 or check online at tracyboatsales.com
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-04-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Get the Supra . . . I was in the same boat pretty much. For the price and quality in my opinion the Supra would be the best. I have the 22 sunsport because I like the walkthrough bow. Awesome wake for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
This is only a 21ft. boat but I would guess it is going to go for reaaaaal cheap
maybe worth a look

Where are you located?
http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=12980
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-04-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
I am in Oklahoma.. I don't like sangers or supremes or MB's. We pretty much have it narrowed down to the 3 boats. Although we have not ruled out a Malibu.
and I am wondering about ballasts, which boats are in the hull and which are on top? What's the major con's with the supra? There is a 24ss 2006 here for 49K, we might look at it...for that much though why not go with a new moomba xlv?
Old    wiz            04-04-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
there are no cons with supras. i have owned several. they have indmar engines just like mc. they use the same gel as mc & malibu. the president is on here often helping people with questions or issues they may have. i like the playpen style bow because u can put a 1100 lb ballast bag under it. one huge advantage is u can run @ 3000 lbs of ballast & not see a fat sack anywhere. i prefer sacks over hard tanks because u can easily upgrade or downgrade by just swapping them out. the 21v has the steepest wake of the supras. the 22ssv is a little more mellow. the 24ssv is huge, but doesnt handle as well as the smaller two.
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Thank you, that info is very helpful!
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-05-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
21v,22ssv and the 24ssv are three totally different boats.I would suggest riding them all to figure out what your real needs are.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-05-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Donna, when I was test driving I found a big difference in the comfort between the Supra and the Moomba. I'd pick the slightly used Supra over the new Moomba, even though they are on the same hull. The MC is a very well put together boat and you'd love it if you owned it too.
Your best value in today's market might be on a 2008 or 2007 new boat, if you're going to keep it for several years. You still get full warranty and the dealers really want to reduce stock.
The difference driving, or storing, a 22' and 24' boat is significant. Demo a few and you'll quickly decide if you want the space or not. Good luck, you are considering some very good boats. (Of course it makes me a little sad you don't like Sanger)
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-05-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
buy a xstar you will not have anything bad to say about a 06 and up xstar you can pick one up for about 45 k right now with the repo situation. there is now other boat out there like a newer x star you will not be disappointment
Old     (reeszr6)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-06-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
Sorry bud but last summer I pulled in an 06 x-star, and a 08 x-2, I'd go with a malibu over anything else on your list.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-06-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
Donna,
Lets start with the basics. You have picked boats that you can't go wrong with, but this might help people help you and give legitimate answers as to why.
What do you want to use the boat for?
-Skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, just hanging out?
How many people are in your crew?
How much gear do you need to store? How many bags, coolers, boards, tubes, etc
What kind of water are you running on?
-Choppy, narrow water ways, big lake, wide water way?

Might help get some good answers..... As you put it "best bang for your buck" will probably be supra or moomba, but you need to get what fits you best and there probably is not a wrong decision so rest at ease.

Good luck
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2009, 2:07 AM Reply   
Why do you not like Sangers? If there is one constant I've seen, its Sangers are the best all around budget but great boat. I own a Malibu, but If I didn't get lucky with this boat, I would own a Sanger.

The one con I had with Supra's is the interior space. Their seating arrangement is very specific. If you like having as many people facing backwards, they would suit you. But if you want all around space, their wakeboard boats won't suit you at all.

But back to the first question, why not Sangers?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Donna share with us your type of boating.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-07-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
I'd put Sanger back on your list.

To prove my point, search for it here on this site. You will see how happy people are with that brand (myself included).
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-07-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Tige's RZ2, 22Ve and the Z1 are awesome boats to compare to the Supra, Mastercraf and Moomba. You really should add Tige to your list and schedule a head to head comparison at your local lake.
Where are you located? Maybe we'll all join you.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
What will you be doing on your boat, wake, ski, tube, relax?
Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I am a supra dealer and centurion dealer. I can tell you from first hand experience that supras have alot of gelcoat issues and fiberglass cracking and they arnt the cheapest boat either for there qaulity. I have had alot of luck with centurions. Centurion has been around for along time and have perfected alot of there key selling points on there boats. You can pick up an avalanche for well below 40k and we just sold a 220 enzo for 33k plus tax and reg. I second putting Sanger back into consideration. They prob make the most solid built boat out there i think and there new tower kills it. I would look at an avalanche or a V215 both solid boats and Tracy boats or San Jose boat center both have killer deals on them below 40k this market is unreal
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
By Donna Frost (dfrost733) on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 5:46 pm:

"I am in Oklahoma.. I don't like sangers or supremes or MB's."

Sounds like something against boats built in central California?
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-07-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
I live in Oklahoma and from what I know, the closest Sanger, Supreme, MB dealers are in Texas. We dont see a lot of those boats on lakes in OK so its hard to put them on a list of boats you would like to purchase when you dont get to see how they perform.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-07-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/661585.html?1236889614
Old     (surfsup)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
BP, what dealer do you work at? I was familiar with the former Supra dealer in the Delta area but I'm not aware of a Supra/Centurion dealer locally
Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
San Ramon Boat Center. Supra in our Rocklin location And centurion now at both San Ramon and Rocklin
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
Ryan is correct, the main reason for my choices are the fact that we don't see those boats. I am going by what I have seen on the lakes.
As far as our boating goes...we are on a smaller lake most of the time, but will travel to larger lakes. We are a family of four and usually have friends with us. (3 or 4 wakeboarders) My son is 13. He has competed in wakeboarding the last couple of years. we just have a 20 ft. four winns with a tower right now. It's time to step it up so he can hang with the big boys!
We definately need more space than what we have. And for me it's all about the looks! I want something to stand out! :-)
Seriously, I dn't have anything personal against those boat we just aren't familiar with them.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Yeah Donna i know your son i also ride in the tourneys. I think his name is Chandler if i remember right. Hope that right if not im sorry. My Friend has a 2005 Malibu vlx for sale, he lost his job and is desperate to sale and i know he is asking less than 40,000. it has the three ballast tanks in it. plus i have a 2007 Malibu that i addes more ballast to that he could do also if he is really ready for the big boys. the boat is stored in my shop in Tuttle if you would like to see it. here is a quick pic for personal taste.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Hey Danny, yes my son is Chandler, and that is a nice looking boat. How much are you asking for it? We might be interested in looking at it.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
Donna - After reading your post about what kind of boating you do, I would highly suggest the Moomba XLV for you. It is a true hard core wakeboard boat with a ton of space for your friends and gear.

Because you bring alot of friends, that usually means a newbe tags along. The 2008 hull was redesign to do something very well that you should know. Alot of big boats do not do well teaching at speeds near 15-18mph, but the XLV does. That design really make a difference when you are on a small lake and are forced to do tournament style turnarounds. It is very stable compared to other brands. I drive alot of tournaments & noticed it right off the bat. On the other end of the spectrum, if the riders want a pro wake it is so easy to hide 2400lbs without stepping on any bags by just swapping the bags.

I know that the experience of a brand new boat with a 4 year warranty will be much better that a used boat with no warranty. Best of Luck.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
My ski buddy got a Moomba. Biggest mistake he ever made. From the outside it looks like a nice boat but it is made cheaply! He got a great deal on it but now he knows why, it is cheaply made.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
if you are looking for space you should look at a Calabria team v there is a ton of space on this boat and it fills 1200# of ballast in 60 sec. also you can order a 2009 with any graphic or color you could think of on your boat truly a one off boat. I have a 08 team v and I woudn't dream of getting rid of it. I also agree with a lot of these guys get behind the wheel of a bunch of different ones choose from there. GOOD LUCK.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
Its official,every boat has now been mentioned even though he didn't ask.Now all we need is a wakecraft stab.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
check out Svfara, Chopper Boats, Wakecraft, Ski Rays too... oh and the Liquid Ride boats, Chaparral Sunesta Extreme too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-08-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
They're all great boats. If you can afford a X-star, that's as good as it gets. Drive one. Plenty of room and storage. It will drive circles around the others.....literally.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-08-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
I didn't see a mention of Gekko.They seem to be looking for models that are sold in their area for ease of dealer support.I say test drive from dealers in your area and make your own decision.You can see from this post everybody has their own favorites.
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-08-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
this is not my boat just saw it on Craigslist!

Here's the best deal I have seen under $40K

X-Star with the big block 8.1L for 39,000 obo

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/1108075863.html

Upload
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
(brock,onlyinbords)just trying to give the guy more info on something he might not have considered didn't mean to upset you guys.Donna I would go with the supra 22ssv before moomba I like the wake from the supra a little better. also think the interior of the supra is put together better.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
haha, you certainly didn't upset me at all. I just thought Brock made a good observation, nothing was directed at you. It's par for the course here.. .ask about 1 - 2 boats and you get more opinions on boats you didn't ask about. I'm just as guilty as the next guy. :-)
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Jarod and Donna - I agree that the Supra 22SSV is also a great choice if it is 2007 or newer. The 2006 and earlier were way way to small. It gonna be hard to find one in the price range.

If you really want a Supra, my 08 21V Worlds is the biggest/deepest in its class. It has the 5 Star/5 year warranty that ends 4/2013. It already has the pro ballast system in it. To give a shout out to OnlyInboards.com here is the link for more info

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=793195

Upload
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Donna
well he has it listed for $40,000 on a few websites but i now he owes around $37,000 and lost his job so if u are interested i would just say ill give u $37,000 and he is an idoit if he says no. i will be home all weekend and it is sitting in my shop so just give me a call if you wanna come take a look. I wanna say around 220 hours in that range i will go take cover off and let u know exactly if u need me to. give me a call if you have any question. 405-200-4631
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
Dont tell him i told u that about how much he owes. To be honest i just want it out of my shop so i can put other stuff in there.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
^^^
dont worry Danny, you're secret about how much he owes is safe with us, all 26,644 of us registered users worldwide.
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-08-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
ALSO, make sure that you are 100% comfortable with the dealer that would service your boat, whether you buy from them or private party. Good dealer will make your whole ownership experience more pleasant. In some cases it could be more important than the boat brand.