Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (flydoc)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-09-2003, 10:10 PM Reply   
I just bought a 98 mobius with a cracked block. Got it for 4K under low book so I have room to fix it. The guys wife had a restraining order on him and it ended up freezing before he could convince her to let him winterize. I priced a brand new indmar 310 hp at $5500 installed at a mastercraft dealer 4 hours away. Just for kicks I called the GM dealer and he said I can get the 350 vortec in a crate for $1900. A local mechanic says for 600 he could swap it (and swap the indmar external bolt on parts, new gaskets,gaskets etc.). Does anyone know if the "marinized" chevy 350's have any different parts inside the block that we'd have to crack it open to install or can you just bolt on all the external parts on the old indmar/GM and be set. I know lots of guy's rebuild these but that doesn't make sense when I can get a new one from the factory (and the peace of mind knowing the experts built it to last) and reuse my carb, manifolds, water pump, etc. Also why pay for a whole new gm 350 that indmar adds thier parts to when I have all those already and a local guy can swap them in a day or two. Am I missing something here or can I take the $3000 and get a new ballast system and stereo or what ever? I don't think my moomba has a reverse rotation or anything any different than all the mastercrafts.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-10-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Call Richard @ Discount Inboard Marine for all your information. He's the answer man.

http://www.skidim.com
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-10-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
The rotation of the engines are all the same. The direction of prop rotation comes from the transmission.

You will need to take the crate motor down to the short block, change the heads, and then put everything from the marine engine on (including oil pan). You should be safe there, but there is a chance that Indmar uses different pistons.

Checking with skidim is a good idea.

Have you checked with Indmar about gettng just the block and rebuilding the motor? It would surely be less than $5500
Old    6more            03-10-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
You are right about not needed to spend $5500. That's for a ready to drop in motor. Like you said, you should be able to use quite a bit off your old motor. Even though it isn't listed in Skidim's cateloge, they might have something cheaper and use your parts to fill it out. Good luck, I'd be interested to find out what you end up doing.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
how bad is it cracked? My buddy has an outback that also just cracked (actually more then a crack water was pouring out the side of the block), checked compression and oil and he is having the side welded up and will probably get away with a $100 charge? Just something to think about.