Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-18-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thanks to Grant for explaining what type of supplies to use when wetsanding and the pics of the process, but could somebody explain the steps that go into wetsanding in a little more detail? Do you spray water on the boat and start sanding? or is there a certain type of "wet" sandpaper that I need? I start to get sick when I think of actually putting sandpaper to my boat's gelcoat. But I have some serious scratches that need to be fixed. Thanks for any help.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-18-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
A steady stream of water is best. The water keeps the sand paper from clogging up. Apply even pressure and do not sand in one spot. Try a spot that is not that noticeable first.

Remember long even strokes!!

when sanding LOL!!!!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
To get the fill for it, you may want to start with the very finest grit sandpaper, it is not that bad once you get the hang of it, a stream from a hosepipe as mentioned above is the best for sure.
Old    mendo247            02-18-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
go to an auto paint store, theyll lead you in the right direction, id recomend picking up a soft sanding pad while your there to help cut back on finger marks..yes you should get special paper, most 1000-3000 grit is made for wet sanding
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-18-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
Sanding pad is a must. Also put dish soap in a bucket of water. This will help the paper slide across the surface.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-18-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
You may try buffing it first. I buffed mine and did not have to wet-sand it. If you can avoid wet-sanding that would be better. If it wont buff out you can always go back and wet-sand it.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-20-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Any additional info would always help.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
I used a spray bottle with a few drops of dish washing soap. This is what I used for water. Get the paper and the surface real wet.The sop helps move the debri out of the way.

1000 grit for the pretty good scratches.
1500 for the medium scratches
2000 for the ultra fine scratches

I found it best to NOT get to close to the edges or hard to reach places with 1000 grit. (IE rub rail or cleet's)

Example you have a scratch in the center of a easy to get place. Use the 1000 grit on the scratch itself. Then use the 1500 on a aera that covers the the aera you just sanded with 1000, then use the 2000 grit to go over the aera you sanded with the 1000,1500 never getting to close to the edges like the rub rail. try to stay away from thoes aera's because its real hard to get to all the sanding scratches out of tight aera's
Try to feather your sanding if you have a light color like white it should be pretty easy, I found the a hand held flouresant light will help show scratches that normaly would be hidden. Use the flouresant lamp to show what you missed. (Kind of like how they use the Black Light on C.S.I) LOL Start out with a small test aera to see how much work you are in for. Then you will have a head's up on how much time its gonna take you to do the job.
Old     (keith_jones)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-22-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
I have wet sanded two MasterCrafts a 1988 190 and a 1989 190. I used 1500 and then 2000 sand paper then buffed them out with polish and then a wax. When wet sanding I would just hold the garden house with one hand and sand with the other. I would turn the water on about half way. The boats came out great. This is no small job it takes some time.