Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (gotboost)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
I am looking at buying my first boat and I found a Fully Loaded 2001 Sang Air in near perfect condition with 550 Hrs on it for around 19K. My knowledge of boats is pretty slim and I found this discussion forum so I thought I would ask some experts.

Is the sang air a good wakeboard boat?
Should I be concerned about 550 HRs?
Any other suggestions.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
That is a great boat, one of the best D-drives available for that $$$. Right up there with Sport nauti or MC205 IMO which are normally older for that price range. 550hrs is not a problem if it has been serviced every 100hrs or less.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-03-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
You cant go wrong with Sanger. My buddy had a 92 DLX and that thing ran perfect until he sold it last summer. Great boats for a great price! 550 hrs is not high if it has been serviced regularly. I would ask to see receipts, and take it to mechanic to have it checked out. Good luck!

dg
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Forget the concept of a "starter boat"! Get a boat you will love from the start!

Yes, you can't go wrong with a Sanger. A big decision point is v-drive vs d-drive.

You are lucky -- there are plenty of great boats out there -- MC, CC, BU, Sanger & Supra come to my mind first.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
No inboard boat is a 'starter boat.' They are all great comparatively.
Old     (gotboost)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Cool, it sounds like it will probably work for me. I know I like wakeboarding, but I'm not too sure about boat ownership so I want to buy something I am not going to lose a lot of $$$ on if I decide to sell it in a year if I want to get out of it or if I want to buy the new X Star I would really like.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-03-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Not the best pic but the wakes can get pretty big.
Upload
Old     (sangerdxii)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
I wish my first boat was an inboard! I'm considering selling my 1994 Sanger DXII with 220 hours. If the deal for the SangAir doesn't work or you want to pay less for your first boat, let me know. I'm located in North Idaho.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-12-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
uh the DXII is an inboard. mine is anyway
you mean v-drive i think
Old     (sangerdxii)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Sorry for the confusing post. My first boat was a '92 Century I/O, a long ways away from a inboard. I hope my next boat is a V-drive. There just isn't any Sanger V-drives in the Northwest. California is hogging them all.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-13-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 SangAir, and I have been very happy with the boat. In addition to the 320 lbs of stock ballast, I run 600lbs of lead and about 1300lbs in fatsacs. It is a little crowded on the floor of the boat, but it kicks up a good wake.

With that being said, would I buy the same boat today that I did in 2001, NO. I would much rather have a V-Drive with more internal ballast, but my boat is paid for and I'm not looking to take on a new boat payment.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope that you are as happy with your boat as I have been with mine.

Rob
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
KD Amos,
Sent you an email, I live in Boise and have been looking for a DXii or DLX. Its probably in your junk mail folder. Thanks
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Dude.... you'll love that boat. The only downer with the '01 is that it's got the early style tower. They flex alot and are narrow for the bimini. Other thatn that, they're great boats. I had a '02 and thought it was great.

Direct drive vs. V-drive??? I like the D-drive. They don't have as much storage, but they work just fine. I actually think they're easier to weight because they have a bunch of weight toward the front already.

I used to run my '02 with the stock rear ballast, 300lbs of lead in the rear hatch, a locker sack under the floor (you lose the cooler) and about 200lbs of lead under the front seats. The wake was kickin'.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Evan, did you have to reinforce the bottom of the rear hatch in order to place 300lbs of lead in their? sorry for the hijack. Also, I have a 2001 SangAIR that I am absolutely content with(425 hours and no problems).