Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-25-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
Hey all, I just got back in to wakeboarding after a 9-year hiatus. Purchased a HL Marek 145 and after about a month of riding, cased the wake pretty hard and broke it.

I wasn't riding very hard; mainly trying to re-train my muscle memory for timing my pop off the wake - my best air has only been around 4-4.5 feet but I'm 6' 225 so I land with considerable force. I thought the Marek was a good option for me since it's one of Rusty's signature boards but the large split down the middle of the board tells me otherwise...

The board is under warranty and it should be replaced/repaired but I plan on getting another more durable board and use the Marek as a spare or guest board.

Any suggestions for a board that'll work well for a guy of my size?
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-25-2016, 11:04 AM Reply   
Murray 150
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   
Slingshot - I have yet to break one (save for a couple fast tracks ripping out).
I weight what you do and used to break LF boards all the time.

I think it would be very hard to break one of these board's cores, and they land softer than some others also.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-25-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
Hey, I would suggest a liquid force trip if your a beginner. I'm 300 lbs and I learned back roll on that board and some 180/, my new board is another liguid force. I love those boards, it's a 144
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-25-2016, 7:04 PM Reply   
I second the Murray. Loving mine. Only other suggestion would be a humanoid.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       09-26-2016, 4:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
Murray 150

This! Fav board.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-26-2016, 4:50 AM Reply   
I would take a look at the Ronix One 146. Such a fun board!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
I have rode all the "big" boards over the last 20 years. By far my favorite, and current board, is the Murray 150. The reality is there is no board that is made for our size, it just isn't. It is simple physics 250-300 against a piece of foam against a wake, it's going to break. I break my share of boards every year and have regardless of brands of type of construction. I think if they built a board that was made for us, it would be heavy as heck. I can give you input on all boards over 142 if you want. Check some of my similar posts on big boards over the last 5-10 years here as I have broke down each one.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-26-2016, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
I have rode all the "big" boards over the last 20 years. By far my favorite, and current board, is the Murray 150. The reality is there is no board that is made for our size, it just isn't. It is simple physics 250-300 against a piece of foam against a wake, it's going to break. I break my share of boards every year and have regardless of brands of type of construction. I think if they built a board that was made for us, it would be heavy as heck. I can give you input on all boards over 142 if you want. Check some of my similar posts on big boards over the last 5-10 years here as I have broke down each one.
Ever heard of the Slingshot Nomad? Not a piece of foam, not heavy, and was certainly made with someone your size in mind.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-26-2016, 6:25 PM Reply   
The nomad is too soft for any hard core wake riding.

I usually point people to the response 147 as it is much stiffer.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-26-2016, 10:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
Hey, I would suggest a liquid force trip if your a beginner. I'm 300 lbs and I learned back roll on that board and some 180/, my new board is another liguid force. I love those boards, it's a 144
Now doubting you at all but I'm sure we would all luv to watch 300 lb inverts, please post
Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-27-2016, 4:52 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies! Not gonna lie, I'm sufficiently hyped up on the Murray 150 now. Spent an hour trying to find the 2016 model and all I was able to track down was a package deal from Overtons that came with a 7-10 sized binding (wth who'd be riding a 150 with 7-10 sized feet????). I could buy the package and resell the bindings but the problem is that if a warranty issue ever came up with the board, Overton's would need both the bindings and board shipped back *facepalm*. No way to just buy the board either.

I learned that the 2017 Murray is exactly the same board but with a new graphic so my current best option is to order the 2017 Murray 150 through my Marina since they're a Hyperlite retailer. But before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone on here knew where there's a 2016 Murray 150 in stock so I don't have to pay ~$100 extra for a new graphic lol.

Thank you again for all the great responses!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-27-2016, 6:48 AM Reply   
I have a Nomad 160.....fairly flexible and extremely loose riding. But it sure is an easy ride. I'm 45 and don't do too many inverts anymore so cant really comment on the hardcore ride. It does land soft on 360's....that's about all I can do anymore.
Old     (jordanbd98)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-27-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Humanoid is the way to go! Made with care, ridden without! cant go wrong.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have a nomad 160. It is SUPER fun to slide round and cruise, but not firm enough for our weight for big tricks. The "flex" boards are designed to flex and snap back - the probably with our weight is that they don't snap back until we are already in the air.

Ron - There are no 2016's left. I tried to pick up a few more last month and they were all gone. The 2017's are just showing yup to the factory this week, so they should ben in the stores in the next few weeks.

David - Let me see if I can grab a video segment and throw it up here
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
I could figure out how to upload video of me riding, here is just a few snaps. I'll figure out how to get a few clips up there.
Attached Images

Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-27-2016, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks Jason, I'll pull the trigger on the 2017.

And those pics though... hold on while I pick my jaw up off the floor
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       09-27-2016, 11:22 AM Reply   
Did you try Evo.com? Or boardco? Or any other online retailer?
Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-27-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yeah, Evo was the first place I looked - an hour of searching only yielded binding/board package deals which I don't want to get
Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-10-2016, 3:07 AM Reply   
Hey all, just wanted to cap this thread off in case anyone else sees it down the road.

I've been loving the HL Murray 150. It was hard to find, but fellow forum member Corey Shidler messaged me about an ebay listing - thanks Corey!

Pros: Good pop, smooth ride, handles chop well, solid edge control, and landings are crazy-easy
Con: Bigger board is harder to spin (I don't mind the challenge to improve my riding though)

For anyone who may be looking at this thread going into the 2017 season, if you can't find a 2016 Murray 150 the 2017 Murray 150 is pretty much exactly the same board, just updated graphic so all the raving positive comments on this thread applies
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-10-2016, 5:41 AM Reply   
Glad you were able to snag the eBay link I sent you! While I get that there is a difference spinning a big board, I feel like the bigger board lets you save more landings that are a little off so it makes up for it.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-10-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
Now doubting you at all but I'm sure we would all luv to watch 300 lb inverts, please post
Google "Delta Sessions" Jason and the NorCal riders made 2 Delta Sessions videos and the Buff is killin it.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-10-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
^^ He has a segment in Wake TV too... forget which issue tho.
Old     (Bilbono)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-10-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
Glad you were able to snag the eBay link I sent you! While I get that there is a difference spinning a big board, I feel like the bigger board lets you save more landings that are a little off so it makes up for it.
Oh most definitely; I've already had some landings that I was surprised to be riding away from.
Old     (bdwb)      Join Date: Nov 2014       12-04-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
Which bindings are you guys using for the Murray 150? I have Ronix Divide open toe right now - planning to keep these. I have never used closed toe - have a size 14 foot so have been worried that a closed toe will not fit well. Thanks
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       12-04-2016, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwb View Post
Which bindings are you guys using for the Murray 150? I have Ronix Divide open toe right now - planning to keep these. I have never used closed toe - have a size 14 foot so have been worried that a closed toe will not fit well. Thanks

I use my Ronix Prestons
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
I am an old skool open toe guy as I have 14/15's and find the close toes always jam my toes. I have road the Ronix Kai and the Hyperlite Team bindings, which is what I am on now. Been happy with both.