Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    tpg2000            07-29-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
I am buying a V6 Wrangler and am wondering if I can pull my MC 205v with it. It is only 10 flat miles to my lake.

Thanks for your advise.
Tom
Old    jeepnautique            07-29-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
I do. sometimes. I have a 92 Ski Nautique. The jeep has the power to pull it, but not the brass to stop it or handle it well. My jeep is also lifted and running on 33's. if you do tow with your jeep, just pray you never have to stop in a hurry.
Old     (cooze)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
You could pull it 10 flat miles. Just hope you never had to dodge anything in the road. The wheel base of the wrangler just isnt big enough to keep control of the boat if it starts swaying. You would be better off buying a cheap $500 dollar truck to tow the boat with.
Old    ilovetrains            07-29-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
um - dude, there is no such thing as a v6 Wrangler. It is straight 6. I see guys pull 18ft i/o's (less than 3K lbs) all the time. What does you MC weigh?
Old    jack_cheese            07-29-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
I used to pull our '89 Nautique 2001 with my '88 Wrangler I6 on 33's. It's tough but can be done for sure, especially on flat. I wouldn't want to plan on doing it twice a week for the next two or three years though.
Old    akman            07-29-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
I towed our first boat (io) with a 4 banger for 1 year, it's not bad on completely flat ground but once you hit any hills or any down hill runs it's very sketchy trying to stop or slow down.

Like Justyn stated the wheel base is just too short for a stable ride.

His MC should weigh about 2800lbs dryweight, then add 1000lbs for the trailer plus gas and gear and it's over 4000lbs easily.

Just my .02
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
Ditto on the braking issue, I towed our first boat (18 foot Bayliner) with a 4 cyl jeep wrangler for a short time. I had the brake pedal to the floor when a light changed at the bottom of a hill and I wasn't even slowing down.

I don't think the heap I used to own would stop the X-Star I have now on flat land very well.
Old    tpg2000            07-29-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
The short wheel base is what scares me. The trailer brakes slow it down pretty well.

I probably wont waste the time putting a hitch on it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-29-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
haha go for it!!! we used to tow our X-Star with a Dodge Grand Caravan... and we completely re-did front and rear suspension with heavy duty load levelers, 2 transmissions and 1 rebuilt engine. Finally we upgraded to an Acura MDX which tows wonderfully, and my Pathfinder does ok.

anyway, trying not to be too redundant, the wheelbase would be the main concern with that proposed set up, but it can be done...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
uhhhh no. spend the money on a tow vehicle before a boat
Old    natter            07-29-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
I towed my 1990 sport nautique with my 1998 wrangler 4cyl. It was about six miles to the ramp. Just like they said hard to stop and dont swerve. boat weighed 3900 and then the trailer not sure what it weighed.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-29-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Go with the Unlimited (10 longer wheelbase) and that'll give you a 3500 lb. towing capacity (vs. 1000-2000 for other models). It will still be right near the limit but if you're stuck on towing regularly with a Wrangler, it's probably worth it.
Old    jeepnautique            07-30-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
and the unlimited has 4 wheel disc braks standard, that is definatley nice.
Old    tlk            07-30-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Actually Mathew there is such a thing as a V6 Jeep Wrangler it is new and it could be what Tom is talking about. Jeep has decided to retire the Inline 6 and replace it with a V6.
Old    jeepnautique            07-30-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
actually they are retiring the I-6 from the Grand Cherokee line, the wranglers are still going to be I-6.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-31-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
I tow my boat 4-5 times a week with my wrangler... my trailer has brakes though and without them I dont think I would do it... plus I only have to go like 1 mile most of the time! If you have something else to pull it with I wouldnt bother putting a hitch on it but if it is what you got, it will work! just be a defensive driver!