Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    xtremebordgurl            11-06-2003, 8:53 PM Reply   
Hey everyone! I was just curious, I already posted a thread similar to this but, would you guys be interested in helping to spread cable wakeboarding by promoting the developement of new parks? For example would you support a cable park in California? Where would be a good location in Cali for a cable park? Any thoughts, ideas, or anything are welcome.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-06-2003, 8:59 PM Reply   
HELL YEAH!

Best spot in So Cal would be on the old El Toro MCAS land. Either that or somewhere along the Santa Ana riverbed.
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
a cable park in socal would be sick, im actually surprised there isn't one by now
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-06-2003, 10:46 PM Reply   
Well there is the begginings for plans for one in SoCal, but can't tell yet. But getting planning permission is tough from the tree huggers, don't look any sooner than two years, thats how long it took OWC to get theirs going.

(Message edited by kristian on November 06, 2003)
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-07-2003, 12:13 AM Reply   
put one in redding!!!!!!!CA
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-07-2003, 4:26 AM Reply   
Kristian, do you know who is getting it started? Do you have any contact info?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-07-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
Years ago there was one at Manteca, CA at the water park. This was way before wakeboarding existed. I'm not sure why it was closed though.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
I've been hearing that same rumor for the past 3 years....
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-07-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Which rumor? That they are working on one or that there was one that closed?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Here is my quote from the other post.

"""I vote for Orange County, since we don't have a lake "well Irvine lake but that doesn't really count" anyway OC is pretty central, LA, San Diego, Riverside, Corona. Has a great board sport culture. Man if they built one I bet they would make a fortune.

I could see it attracting a lot of people that have never wakeboarded before, would be a whole scene.

An OC Cable Park is on my most wanted wish list. okok well after winning the lottery, but if I do that, I will build a cable park for OC with part of my winnings LOL"""

Jeff, El Toro is the perfect spot, great idea!!!

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Yep, after work, especially in the winter time, instead of heading to the driving range to hit little white balls, under the lights, I could get a few sets in at the local cable park before dinner, perfect!!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
Bess, the rumor would be about the cable park plans for So Cal. I have been hearing talk from insiders about this for years.

Jonathan - that would be great, wouldn't it? I'd love to have Dana's next birthday party at a cable park!
Old    lucky            11-07-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
If you are askingh about supporting a cable tour, I would say no. I would want it to do well. But, I would never buy a ticket, too boring to watch. If they built a cable park locally I would probably go more then once a week. There used to be one in South Georgiaonly 20 minutes from Jacksonville, but it shut down before wakeboarding took off.
Old    sonicr1            11-07-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
The cable park in Manteca closed because Oakwood Lake is... how should I say this... run down! It would be a good spot for one, they have the Lake for it... and it is in the heart of Delta country!!!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-07-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
you could even do Shadow cliffs in PLeasanton/livermore... that place would be perfect for it
Old    norcal_99            11-07-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
It would do better in SoCal, I think.

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
I agree, with the lack of public water ways down here it would be the perfect spot. Not that one in NoCal would do bad or couldn't be supported, but I think SoCal would be a relative slam dunk.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-08-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Nice, thanx guys for all your feedback, do you know of what is holding up the guys w/ the SoCal park? Is it funding? Legalities or ... what? Cause if its a financial thing would you guys be up for doing a some fund raising? Or have ne ideas for fund raisers? I was thinking maybe holding an event or something at an existing cable park and the funds would go towards the park in SoCal.. just an idea.. tell me what you guys think...

(Message edited by xtremebordgurl on November 08, 2003)
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       11-08-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
If you look at the price of land in California wouldn't it be safe to say that a day pass would be $50 or higher? That might be something holding them up. A fund raiser for something that is aimed at making a large profit generally doesn't fly with donators.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-08-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
I am not sure about $50 bucks. They could probably do a annual pass, or frequent rider discount program, set up a pro shop and snack shop/bar overlooking the action, maybe an arcade, it could be similar to a family fun center type set-up.

You are probably right about the fund raising idea, you would need to raise a lot of money to make any difference. What you need is some serious investors with deep pockets, or some kind of managment company to get involved.

Potential for making money will be the driver, but we need to get out the word that if someone builds it we will come and support it.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-08-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
a lot of people have looked into so cal as a spot for a cable park but it's just to unpractical with cost of living and actually getting water rights. it's alreay hard as find liability insurance, land, water, etc. it's just more practical to do it somewhere else. as of right now the kansas city park should open next spring and there is one in the works in scottsdale, arizona.
Old     (mrburns)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-08-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
ALEE~
Shadowcliffs would never allow anything more than an electric fishing boat OR a paddleraft in their water again, after years and years of jetboat racing the Treehuggers won control and have removed all fun from the lake. Along with the park district they are just about undefeatable... A better solution would do to get ahold of the lake that was know as Isabel... I'm not sure who owns/controlls that land ...but it would be ideal...
Old    norcal_99            11-08-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
I'm surprised Vegas doesn't have one yet. It has everything else.
Old    reformryda135            11-09-2003, 4:11 AM Reply   
I think there should be more Cable Parks, but im fine with ours...i think you guys have probally heard of it....OWC! My Disney World! There should be one in every state, hell a few in every state!
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-09-2003, 6:24 AM Reply   
Bess, just curious why you would wanna do a benefit fundraiser for a socal?? Arent you in Maine? and moving to Florida?? or did you change your destination location again for school? You were going to Boca, right?

oh well, I have yet to ride on cable yet, too many boat pulls here in St. Pete, but next year we are taking a trip to Orlando to Wakeboard Camp and a few weekend trips to OWC just for fun!
good luck with your venture. and anybody who rides cable got in advice for me on how/what is different from boat to cable?? thanks guys!
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-09-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Angi, you're right I am still heading to Boca and no I wont personally benefit from a park in SoCal, but I think a lot of other people would and I think it will get a lot of people into the sport of wakeboarding that may not have been able to otherwise, and I believe just those two factors make it worth all the work that lies ahead. Plus, if all goes well, it could be the starting point for opening up more parks. I don't know if you're familiar with the Tony Hawk Foundation, but basically its a non profit organiztion that gives out several grants a year to help support the building of new skateparks, I'd like to see something similar to that happen with cable parks. Not quite sure how and I know it will take a considerable amount of time but again, totally worth it. Anyone with any thoughts/ideas, feel free to throw them out there.

In terms of advice for cable riding, it does have a different pull to it and works a completely different set of muscles, so be prepared to be a little sore the next day. Other than that... bring a helmet and have fun!!
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-09-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
Any other ideas, thoughts/opinions? Thanx for all the feedback guys, this has been really helpful.