Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-24-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Simple as the title says. Which would you recommend? We are planning a trip, 11 hours to one and 10 hours to the other so whichever is the best is the one we want to hit. I don't know much about either town except Orlando has Disney and Waco is not too far from Dallas.

Which one? I'm all ears!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
Waco is 2 hrs from Dallas and there is nothing there except the hands down best wakeboard park in the country. Nothing is even in the ball park. OWC has Disney.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-24-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
BSR if going strictly for the riding. Get a cabin right on the cable lake. You're in the middle of nowhere so it almost feels like a camping trip. If you're going to want to do other activities other than ride and chill, then go to OWC.

I wouldn't want to do the 11 hours and then trek back and forth to Dallas. And I live in Dallas.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
There is nothing to do in Dallas anyway. Nothing to see here.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-24-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
Not sure hoe long you are planning on staying but you could always stay in the Austin area. There is plenty to do here in terms of night life, etc. 1.5 hrs to BSR, 30 mins to TSR and about 10 mins to Qust ATX. Just a thought...
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2015, 12:05 PM Reply   
If the trip is for riding, BSR hands down. I would take that over OWC any day of the week.
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-24-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
This trip is mainly a riding trip. Me and my friend are going, bring our girlfriends along and they won't be riding but they like watching us ride and could probably find something to do around the park. We want the best riding scene and really only need some nice places to eat within reasonable driving distance.

We are driving from Tupelo, MS and will be driving to our destination on a Wednesday. Riding Thursday-Saturday. Then driving home all day Sunday.

What are the obstacles like a BSR? Good variety? How about water temp and choppiness? I know OWC can get choppy, what about BSR?

And what about these Lemurs at BSR? Lol
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2015, 3:12 PM Reply   
There are 4 parks in the Dallas area, and the others in the Austin area as stated. Depending on the time of year you're doing this, getting a cabin at bsr is prob the best bet. There is a bar and grill, beach area, in the summer a lazy river, etc. If it's booked up already, check out a variety of parks in the area and stay in Austin or Dallas, not Waco. There are outlet malls next to both TSR and Hydrous-Allen for the ladies. BSR has a huge island so no chop, and the lemurs live on it.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
BSR was hardly choppy at all, much better than OWC in that regard. BSR has two curved kickers and the rest of the rails and features are pretty nice, plus you can rent the bi-level setup. It's pretty cool being able to rent the cabins right on the water. The only thing I can think of that OWC beats BSR with is it's smaller, so the walk after falls isn't as long. BSR has paved paths all around the park though so there is that.
Old     (bruh)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-24-2015, 7:56 PM Reply   
BSR is pretty cold but it's such a sick park...there is a good amount of other fun stuff to do at the park...lazy river, mega slide, bar and grill, bi level. the rails are a lot of fun as well!

t
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-25-2015, 1:29 AM Reply   
I've never been to BSR so I can not comment, but I have been to ODUB and I really liked it but the other thing it has in it's favour is that McCormicks is just over an hour away. I loved McCormicks
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-25-2015, 6:01 AM Reply   
We have been to both, BSR would the ticket. It is turning into an attraction in itself. The girls can watch while having beverages or enjoy other water activates not needing a board. A plus is the other parks in the Dallas area.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
BSR hands down.. OWC is no comparison. The park itself is so much nicer at BSR as well as the atmosphere and since you're binging the girlfriends they'll actually be able to hang out and have fun there since there is the grill, lazy river, hot tubs, volleyball, etc. The grill at BSR has decent food if you don't want to leave. As others have said there are also so many parks within decent distance to BSR.

I did a Texas trip this past summer and would say you should absolutely try to make it down to Austin and hit vision quest and then do the Austin downtown thing if you're into it. Texas and BSR was so fun I'm thinking about a whole month there this summer.

Only plus I can think of other than theme parks close to OWC is that OWC won't make you put on a CGA vest and they will check at BSR & vision quest.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
Also forgot to add that OWC will be super choppy and BSR really doesn't get choppy with the island. The features are much more unique at BSR but the Henshaw at OWC is one of my all time favorites.

And just bring some bananas and swim over and feed the lemurs (I would ask someone that works there before doing so but they're cool with it).