Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hi everyone,

So we got a winch and have started to build some rails, mainly from pipes and so on. If we want to build rails from just wood with wood also on the sliding surface, what kind of wood should we use? I see the shredtown guys are riding a lot of wooden stuff.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-25-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I would use Trex.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-25-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
wood is slideable (dock slides will never go outta style). What your seeing looks like wood but is actualy composite decking. It's usualy called trex or fiberon. It's a replacement for wooden decks that last longer. Sumtimes it will have a fake woodgrain texture that makes you think your looking at wood. It's available at lowes, home depot, or your neighbors back porch. Have fun rail riding and show us sum pics when your done.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-25-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
I would not use any kind of real wood. When it gets wet I'd be worried I would ollie on and just stick. As said above, Trex, or just use puckboard.
Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the answers guys.

I geuss Trex it is! Just trying to figure out what my local name for that would be. Anyone know a more international term for it? I need to find it in danish somehow
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-25-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I don't know about international terms but here no matter what brand it's called it's considered composite decking. Wood doesn't slide great but it does slide and there's nothing better than piers that are slideable. No building just roll up on a dock and go to work shredding. I usualy spray the pier first and then if it's real sticky I'll soap it up. I've hit one pier that had been wood stained and it slid great.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-31-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
^Composite decking(lumber) is what you should ask around for.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Or you could use HDP ( high density polyurethane)....what they use for obstacles. Can buy in sheets.

Or what they used in the beginning days of rails...Plastic pipe.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-01-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
HDPE does slide the best but expect to shell out the big $$$ for that stuff. I've also seen kids go hit their first obstacles at (insert cable park here) where it's ALL HPDE and then they complain when they hit trex for the first time that it's sticky. I'm glad I learned on trex back in the day. Now trex feels normal to me and hitting anything hdpe feels even better. I like cable parks that have a bit of both.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-01-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
i've been riding at the new Vision park in MN, and they have an A-Frame that is trex, I just give a soakdown on my first pass everytime and it slides the same as the HPDE does on the other obstacles.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
We just built a 32' slider. Used composite decking that I got at a surplus store for the surface.