Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Blackwood61)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
I have been having issues with a leaking shaft seal on my Supreme boat. The issue started 5 months into the 1 year warranty period, and now my warranty is over and I still have the issue. I was told late last year that there might be as many as 70 other boats out there that came from the Fineline factory with the same problem.

The problem was described to me as a failure to grease the shaft seals before the boats left the factory.

I have been working with Supreme boats from the time when my boat was still under warranty, and I'm hopefull I will get this fixed. It just seems to take time to get answers from the boat manufacturing industry.

So my question is two fold: Are there other Fineline product owners out there with this issue, and what have you done to get the issue resolved?

Thanks.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-26-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Shaft seals are supposed to leak unless they they are drip-less. How much is it leaking?
Old     (Blackwood61)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv210 View Post
Shaft seals are supposed to leak unless they they are drip-less. How much is it leaking?

I can see water up by my V-drive transmission and my blige pump kicks out water every half hour when I'm on the water. Is that normal? The boat did not do that the first five months of usage.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-26-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
It's supposed to drip something like a drop every 20 or so seconds. In the water does yours have a constant drip? Do a search on here for shaft packing or dripping and you will get a bunch of good info. In order to lessen the dripping you need to tighten the packing nut with the boat in the water, which is a pain in the arse to do. Mine has been dripping a good amount, but I've just left it alone because it's that much of a pain. It's not a hard job, but unless you have the right tools, or ones that have been modified to work in a tight area your going to get frustrated just trying to tighten it.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
We ran into that same problem with our 24 Enzos. We put together this vid last summer to help other people who were having the same issue. We make it look way harder than it actually is to grease the fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfRhiv4Vf2Y

Good luck.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Tighten the packing nut hand tight. Then tap one of the nut corners with a flat head screw driver and hammer about .25 turn. Tighten up the jam nut and your done. Make sure you inspect it at the lake. The packing nut should be inspected around every 100 hrs.

Packing nut wrenches are alot less work. FYI.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Sorry. Wrong packing nut.
Old     (Blackwood61)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti4life View Post
Sorry. Wrong packing nut.
What do you mean Wrong packing nut??

Thanks for the replies