Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-08-2016, 9:40 PM Reply   
Title pretty much says it what can you tell about them? Good, bad indifferent?

Thanks, Joel
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-08-2016, 10:27 PM Reply   
Love mine, it's the Same hull as the V210 so if you weight it or have loads of people it throws a pretty great wake for a direct drive. Sangers in general are just great boats due to their great construction and hull designs. The engine is a V8 so your pretty set on that, only thing I recommend is a re prop if you plan to have sacs or tons of buddies, I plan on doing that to mine here in the next week or so. All in al they are GREAT boats imo. Things to look for when your buying is soft spots in the corners and the stringers in the engine compartment. Use a screw driver and kinda just poke around in the stringers. Also be sure to check all gauges, fluids, etc. I swooped up mine a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! Have had it out on the lake 2 days a week for the past 3 weeks. Over all I say they're great boats, guy that owned mine before has owned it since he bought it off the lot in '98... Built to last and tons of fun!
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-08-2016, 10:28 PM Reply   
Had 98 DLX for 8 years...one of the best handling boats on the water.

Great boat, only reason I upgraded to a V215 was floorspace. Being a D-Drive, by time I added sacs, cooler, gear and everyone's bags there as not a spec of carpet showing. They have a low freeboard and you can easily sink the nose in a wake, but that just takes developing skill in your driving. Super solid in rough water.

The wake is a bit narrower than most other boats but it is solid. You do not need to create a mountain of water with a ton of ballast to get a great pop.

The V210 is the same hull in a V-Drive and more storage but either one is a great boat.

I kinda miss mine.

Last edited by Shawn; 05-08-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-08-2016, 10:28 PM Reply   
Also one more thing! They sit REALLY low in the water which gives them an absolutely amazing look to me, but that low freeboard causes the driver to be a little more cautious. Not a problem to me but some people may dislike it. Other than that, I have nothing negative about the DLX
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-08-2016, 11:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJonesWakeboarder View Post
Love mine, it's the Same hull as the V210 so if you weight it or have loads of people it throws a pretty great wake for a direct drive. Sangers in general are just great boats due to their great construction and hull designs. The engine is a V8 so your pretty set on that, only thing I recommend is a re prop if you plan to have sacs or tons of buddies, I plan on doing that to mine here in the next week or so. All in al they are GREAT boats imo. Things to look for when your buying is soft spots in the corners and the stringers in the engine compartment. Use a screw driver and kinda just poke around in the stringers. Also be sure to check all gauges, fluids, etc. I swooped up mine a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! Have had it out on the lake 2 days a week for the past 3 weeks. Over all I say they're great boats, guy that owned mine before has owned it since he bought it off the lot in '98... Built to last and tons of fun!
I have heard that their stringers have a lifetime warranty is this true? Also have not heard of a lot of problems with any rot, but if there is I would like to know. Sounds like an awesome boat though for sure.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-08-2016, 11:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Had 98 DLX for 8 years...one of the best handling boats on the water.

Great boat, only reason I upgraded to a V215 was floorspace. Being a D-Drive, by time I added sacs, cooler, gear and everyone's bags there as not a spec of carpet showing. They have a low freeboard and you can easily sink the nose in a wake, but that just takes developing skill in your driving. Super solid in rough water.

The wake is a bit narrower than most other boats but it is solid. You do not need to create a mountain of water with a ton of ballast to get a great pop.

The V210 is the same hull in a V-Drive and more storage but either one is a great boat.

I kinda miss mine.
Would love to have a 210 or 215 but for now my income won't allow. Glad to hear you liked you dlx though it sounds promising.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-09-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
I've never heard of the lifetime warranty, but I do know that any boat that has been left in the rain or had plugs kept in and never removed can get dry rot. Any boat I have looked at I always check stringers NO MATTER WHAT. If a Sanger has been kept right though, then stringers wont be an issue at all... Same with any other big name boat from this era (nautique, master craft, etc.)

Last edited by KJonesWakeboarder; 05-09-2016 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-09-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
I had a 98 DLX. I loved that boat. I only sold it due to divorce. It definitely has a low freeboard. It was a great boat, handled very well and never gave me a lick of trouble. I now have an 05 V215 and would easily buy another Sanger.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-09-2016, 7:38 PM Reply   
Not sure what your price is, but this thing seems pretty killer!!!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...561796616.html
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-10-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJonesWakeboarder View Post
Not sure what your price is, but this thing seems pretty killer!!!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...561796616.html
you aint lying thats a lot of boat for 13k
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2016, 4:45 PM Reply   
I would question anybody that says a sanger won't rot......
Hull warranty?.....original owner only.
Called sanger when i discovered this issue.....No help what so ever. Only thing I got (which i guess was some help) was the name of a boat shop that they said had a lot of experience repairing sanger stringers (interesting since they aren't supposed to rot).
Our DLX was well taken care of, not stored in the water, and always covered.....and all stringers rotted.
As a former sanger fan, one of the biggest surprises I found was some sketchy workmanship in the stringer system and fiberglassing. After digging into it, it's no real surprise there was water intrusion into the stringers. Turn key quotes were in the $5k range. I'm redoing it now (myself) and I'm very confident it will be better than it was from the factory......
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2016, 6:02 PM Reply   
Wow, that is surprising
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-01-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
Not really. I just did my DXII last year.

Steve - you have a PM.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-01-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
damn thats disheartening
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-01-2016, 8:48 AM Reply   
What year is your DLX?
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2016, 10:42 AM Reply   
96. discovered the problem a few years ago. Looked at options, took a trip on the emotional roller coaster. Let last year slide due to drought condition in CA. Trying to get it done now. Problem first showed up as a loos ski pylon. port side bolts to main stringer were loose. Retightened..one day later loose again. pulled up the floor access panels to outboard side of main and saw the backing washers for the bolts pulled right through the fiberglass.....like a round punch. The stringer was dust. Used the boat one of two more time (lightly) before I noticed the port side engine mount starting to settle....very slightly. I was hyper sensitive to it. Once I saw that....boat was parked. But wait....Sangers don't rot.......not. As I mentioned, the workmanship issues were very surprising. The deck was is decent shape, but seemed "not solid" because the front section is attached to the cleats on the outboard side of the stringer.....and the cleat to stringer connection was sketchy. Deck was fastened to the stringers with non-stainless screws. The screws had corroded over the years and started to waste away. Now there was a rusted portion of a screw in a larger hole that allowed water to track down into the stringers. The floor cleats were attached to the stringers with just drywall looking screws at an angle thru the stringer glass. As those screws corroded, more water route into the stringer. Once the stringer wood started to die at those screws, the cleats became loose, which oblonged the screw holes (bigger water inlet). The loose cleats made the floor feel "soft", the actual deck was not rotted. The stringer beds in the hull are not flat on the outboard sides, so that transition from stringer to hull is "sharp". It doesn't appear a lot of effort was put into filleting to make that a smooth transition. Result was voids in the fiberglass at those transitions. over time....water intrusion. Stringers were run full height to the transom. No water drain passage under the stringer to the bilge for any water that got on the outboard side of the stringers.....which is possible due to the way the floor is sectioned. The glass on those rear sections of stringers looked shoddy due to voids. That coupled with no water escape...no bueno. For my rebuild....more care in glassing and filleting transitions to eliminate voids, SS hardware, through bolted cleats to stringers, drain channels at rear of stringers, sealing all screw penetrations, glassing deck (not just epoxy coating), and seat "riser" to seat isn't screwed straight into the deck. Good times.......
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-01-2016, 11:20 AM Reply   
I have a 98 but My boat is in really good condition, if I were to check for early signs, how would I do so and where would I look, got me worried now haha
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-01-2016, 1:24 PM Reply   
Stainless hardware is overkill. Countersink all screws and fill with resin. Coat the screws in resin before screwing in as well. 100% watertight.

The issue is that even with stainless hardware, water will still have a path from the threads into the stringer. The answer is to seal with resin. Very time consuming though.

Make sure to do at least 2x resin coating on the stringer as well. That way if water makes it into the glass somehow, the wood is still protected.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-02-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
I had a '98 many years ago. It was ok...Sanger's are decent quality (well, stringer discussion aside LOL)...
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-03-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 DLX and love it. It has a little over 1000 hrs on it and still runs great. We don't surf yet, so I can't comment on the surf wave, but the wakeboard wakes are great and it handles like a sports car. We've had no stringer or quality problems at all. It's a super solid, well performing boat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-03-2016, 6:11 PM Reply   
Ive got a 90 DX still solid I dropped in a 350hp 383 stroker the boat runs 50 and is still solid. For the number of Sanger boats out there very very few rot.
Leave the plug in with cover on and your boat will fill with water. I bet that boat had water set in it.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-04-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Ive got a 90 DX still solid I dropped in a 350hp 383 stroker the boat runs 50 and is still solid. For the number of Sanger boats out there very very few rot.
Leave the plug in with cover on and your boat will fill with water. I bet that boat had water set in it.
He says it was well taking care of and what not but sometimes I think folks don't raise the bow enough and water settles in the belly of the bilge and then finds its way into the wood
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-04-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
Older Sangers dont have the guarantee...newer do but only for original owners. Why are Sangers better? It's how they are made.https://youtu.be/U6zAWDrDkIQ
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-08-2016, 12:00 AM Reply   
Rick, water did not sit in the belly of this boat. It was emptied and dried after each use...including raising the tongue wheel to drain out the back. Our driveway is also fairly steep so there is always a pause there to drain. The main stringers are far enough out board and the hull is deep enough that you can actually have quite a bit of water in the belly before it gets anywhere close to the stringers. The one bulkhead has a drain hole in it (drains front to back). The drain hole is spaced slightly off the hull so there is a very small amount of water that would not drain from the front. This water would sit up against the bulkhead, which had no rot whatsoever. .

I know a lot of people don't want to believe this could happen to a sanger, but it can and did. Again, this boat lives under a cover and was never stored with water in it.

As far as early signs....any removable floor sections (just in front and behind engine) that are screwed down have issues with the screws coming loose. Floor feeling "loose" next to center engine indicate floor cleats coming loose. in our case, the loose pylon was the first indicator.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-09-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1234 View Post
Rick, water did not sit in the belly of this boat. It was emptied and dried after each use...including raising the tongue wheel to drain out the back. Our driveway is also fairly steep so there is always a pause there to drain. The main stringers are far enough out board and the hull is deep enough that you can actually have quite a bit of water in the belly before it gets anywhere close to the stringers. The one bulkhead has a drain hole in it (drains front to back). The drain hole is spaced slightly off the hull so there is a very small amount of water that would not drain from the front. This water would sit up against the bulkhead, which had no rot whatsoever. .

I know a lot of people don't want to believe this could happen to a sanger, but it can and did. Again, this boat lives under a cover and was never stored with water in it.

As far as early signs....any removable floor sections (just in front and behind engine) that are screwed down have issues with the screws coming loose. Floor feeling "loose" next to center engine indicate floor cleats coming loose. in our case, the loose pylon was the first indicator.

I'm in no way trying to discount what your saying I was just throwing it out there as a possible cause .I too do the stop on an incline trick to get my boat all the way dry luckily I have a really steep hill by my house . What do you think about wet skiers and boarders dripping all over the boat being a big contributor ? The reason I ask is I had a friend that had his floors rot real bad near the sides in an old Malibu . The design was kind of stupid to me as it had drain plugs on each side for that area and a T plug under the engine for the center . I think he was under the impression if he drained the T plug it would completely drain the boat out at it lowest point . He was def wrong as his floors disintegrated . I also think he took a couple rollers over the bow at the Delta and swamped his boat pretty good which probably had a lot to do with his issues . Anyway good luck on your repair job I hope you will keep the thread updated so we can watch along as you fix it . .