Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2009, 4:07 AM Reply   
NOT- but they should-2009 INT US Championships are cancelled due to lack of entries. I hear they are definitely hurting. I hear talk that 2010 INT is not a sure thing and many states may be without. Any business that was in the situation those 2 are in would definitely be talking. Think about it- They both sanction variety of sports-ski,skate, knee and wake. They both target the same audience, have the same sponsors and have regional and national tournaments.

USAWaterski has the national and international sanctions and are pretty strong at putting on pro level tournaments. They have some great resources for the watersports enthusiast and a foot print that is a little different than INT.

INT kills it for a national amateur tournament. It dwarfs USAWaterski's kneeboard and wakeboard tournaments. Has a loyal following a a great grassroots format with a strong national infrastructure.

So why wouldn't they? 1- INT and WWA exist because of the USAWaterski and their experience with them. 2- Mr Stocks has built the INT into what it is and I bet his ego won't let it belong to anyone but him. Shame. This could be a great thing for watersports. Plus most people would love NOT to have to pay 2 memberships per person in the family.

David Williams- How about a poll asking readers if they should merge?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 5:07 AM Reply   
Nope. Because USA Waterski and Wakeboard already have the NWL and NSL, as well as other novice groups.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
Hopefully they will both go away. I got an email yesterday inviting 2nd place champions to the regional events and prior to the cable nationals I was told a day membership was not available for the cable nationals and that I could not be a national champion unless I was a full member. So I could buy my national championship status for $70. Is that like an online degree? Seriously....

Hey INT.. why not let all folks participate in your national/regional events? Even the sixth place chmapions would like to come to a large event on occasion.

In my opinion, INT and USA Waterski should stick to waterskiing, since they were built around skiing and let the WWA handle the wakeboarding.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
So what you're saying is that one organization that is currently in major trouble and had to cancel events due to lack of riders should merge with another organization that has never been relevant to wakeboarding and has to practically beg riders to come to their events?

The only benefit I can see from a merger like this is that the email list would be bigger when they're working their way down the list begging people to show up to their contests.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-27-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
"Hopefully they will both go away." That's really constructive. Maybe some people enjoy grassroots events. INT provides a venue for everyone to enjoy. At the last NorCal INT, we had a bigger crowd and more competitors than I have ever seen at a grassroots event. The INT in Arkansas attracted top pros like Philip Soven, Trevor Hansen and many more. I don't think INT is going away anytime soon.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
"I don't think INT is going away anytime soon". I hope not I have been going to INT grass roots for over 13 years. Nor Cal has a strong following it will never die we just need to keep getting new people involved. Chuck and Peter and the rest of the INT people keep it going.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-27-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
"Hopefully they both go away" Not me. Who will host events for the local people. Going away helps no one. Too much money? Don't like the judging? etc., etc. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. I want someone to do these events. No INT or USAW, no events.

Merging? Interesting. One point about multiple membership dues hits home. I have purchased 5 ints, 5 usawaterski and 2 WWA memberships in 1 year before. That was over 500 bucks before we even paid for the first entry fee. There were also years we did 3 or 4 nationals. Ouch. Probably could structure a merger to get more involvement by reducing up front cost.

From and M&A perspective it does make sense- Can eliminate duplicate functions, take advantage of complimentary footprint, compatible markets and products. USWatersports? They handle the amateur functions and national tournaments and WWA and USAWaterski handle the pros? Sounds intriguing.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-28-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Having INT under USA membership would be a great thing the grassroots athelete, for our industry and for USA Wakeboard.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       08-28-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
"Hopefully they will both go away."
Little harsh there bud! I challenge you to go and check out one of these events personally and you will get the idea. The kids that do participate in them you can tell have a great time and really enjoy being to almost feel like the pro because they participating in a tournament. It also allows them to participate against riders at their level, not their age. This is defintely one of those situations that you shouldn't knock it before you try it!
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
From what I understand the INT Championships were cancelled due to the economy and the affordability for families to travel (some from the East to the West) the distances this year. INT gets the entire family at events...Dad, Mom and the kids...not a cheap vacation in a good year and it's not a good year. Also, sponsorships at every level of sports is down doesn't matter if you are INT or the local high school football team. Everyone is feeling this economy.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Having the INT UNDER USAWaterski would be a problem for a lot of people who have had not great experience with USAWaterski. Merge does not mean come under. This is why these things fall apart. Everyone wants to keep the power. Wakeboarders would not want it to be under USAWaterski. Kneeboarders either.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
kneeboarders are under everything anyways, if you catch my drift....
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
Its an interesting idea, but I dont think it would work out too well. There are similarities but there are still many differences. Such as, INT holds events where many different kinds of athletes participating in different events. Wheras USA Waterski holds events for a specific athlete for that event. Both have their advantages in their own way and I think a merge would change that advantage of one organization.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
Roger, when was the last comp you actually competed in?
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2009, 4:48 AM Reply   
A-dub- Your point? Or are you wanting to come watch me?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-29-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
As a long time INT supporter I'm am not sure I would welcome such a merger, at least on the wake side. Granted I have not been involved with USA waterski since way back in my AWS days and i'm not up to date on the current structure, but my feeling it is weighted heavy on the waterski side. INT, although committed to supporting all 3 disciplines (wake, ski & kneeboard) has a very strong commitment to wakeboarding and is starting to draw more and more Pro riders to events as evident in last years US Championships and this years Heber Springs Wakefeast. From what I have read on this board USA Waterski has a hard time getting even 1 Pro to show up for their Nationals.

The list of Pro wakeboards that have cut their teeth and come up through the ranks in INT is long, I don't recall seeing any pro's coming out of USA waterski.

Rick you have a dedicated and hard working group of state coordinators that are committed to working through this economy downturn. Keep your dream and INT alive as a stand alone group.

My 2 cents.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I have participated in both.........and both were great experiences. I mainly slalomed in INT and wakeboarded in NWL. I think if done right, it could help both. Bringing the numbers together would be great!
Old     (michael_riffle)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-01-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
As an INT Sr. Coordinator I would like to bring all of these rumors to a halt after conversations with the INT founder. Over the past 16 years that INT has been marketing and promoting our sport there has always been open communications with both USA and WWA the two governing body’s and it will continue.

INT offers a very strong program for both Wake and Ski armature events that both associations have shown interested in INT, however as you all know with that comes complications so therefore INT Armature Tour business model remains the same and will continue to be committed to our riders and skiers.

We can assure you that INT’s main focus is offering you all a special place for you to compete, meet new people and rise to your potential.

Thank you for your remarks and concerns, INT remains strong and looking forward to 2010

Mike Riffle
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2009, 3:43 AM Reply   
We can still dream of a time when a sport as small as wakeboarding would not be so fractured. Nothing against INT- great, great venue. Just the whole sport could be better if we worked together.