Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
This is a question for those of you who live and ride Canyon Lake Ca. I have been looking at real estate in the area and have been considering Canyon lake as an option. I heard some things about rules and regs there that I was wondering about.

1st: Is there a length limitation for a boat. I have a supra launch 22 SS. I heard that 21' is the limit you are allowed. I am not sure how that is measured. Can anyone confirm this?

2nd: Are you allowed to use factory ballast systems equipped on your boat to enhance the wake. How about additional sacs? I heard that this may be prohibited?

3rd: I heard you can't ride your street motorcycle, even a quite jap bike in the city limits of Canyon Lake.. Whats that all about???

4th: I heard Jet ski's are not allowed. That would be a good thing.. Is the towing of towables allowed on the lake as well? IE Ski bobs, tubes etc...

5th: For the waterfront homes, are you allowed to just swim off your waterfront home dock or is water contact on the lake limited to skiing and boarding activity.

6th: Is there city restrictions about having open container on the boat. IE beer/wine coolers etc.. Drunk driving Laws against boat drivers I would hope are enforced!

7th: Are there certain areas of the lake dedicated to slolam skiing and boarding?

8th: How is the water temp during the year? how clean is the lake? Does it get really crowded on the lake during weekends and do they limit the number of boats allowed on the lake in a given day?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I did not know where else to find out. Figured this would be the best place to ask..
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-22-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Ive spent my fair share of time at Canyon Lake and have the non biased perspective of an outsider:
1. 21' MAX length- you are correct and they do measure. I dont think a removable swim step counts
2. Main lake NO WAKE ENHANCEMENT AT ALL
3. No Motorcycles period. Trailer in and out of the gates
4. No PWC's on Main Lake
5. Swim away!!
6. Drunk driving is enforced- ssame rules apply as any other waterway in Cali. No open container at the driver otherwise its all good-
7. There is a whole seperate lake for slalom and the back section for wakeboarding. There, enhance your wake to your hearts desire-
8. Water temp varies but it gets COLD in the winter and very warm in the summer- lakes are pretty clean all things considered. Main lake gets ZOO'ed and so does the backwater. If your a resident, then relax cuz you got all day to chill and wait your turn. People are very considerate waitin' on thier turn and usually give you plenty of room
As far as a "small community" Canyon Lake is great place to live and socialize. Major drawback is if you have schoolage kids and cant afford private school. School districts are very over crowded out there and your kid may get bussed to a different further school-
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I dont live in the community so hopefuly somebody will reply to you that can give you first hand info. I have been looking at canyon lake for real estate and have riden the backwater a few times... the boat length limit of 21' is a rule, however; driving through the community and seeing boats on the lake, i have seen Malibu VLX's (21'6") and X-stars (22'3") everywhere. A friend just bought an 08' vlx that lives on the water and uses the boat every weekend. So i dont know how they measure, but i doubt all those bu's and mc's are sneaking on or only being stored in the community and not used. good luck.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
center of the nose down the middle to the center of the transom.
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-26-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
Hey John...who is your buddy? I have not seen any '08's out on Canyon yet.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
It doesn't have to be an 08' cause even the late 05's and 06's are all the same length, 21'6".
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Does anybody know somebody that has a vlx or x star that lives there. Maybe we can send them a PM and ask what the process was that allowed them to get around the 21' rule. It would really suck to buy a waterfront house out there and find out later that you had to sell your boat to get something 6" smaller!
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-27-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Correct BBR...I just wanted to know who had the first '08 VLX out on CL.

(Message edited by mikel on January 27, 2008)
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
CL rules can be a pain but the reality is that the lake is small and it can be out of control on weekends during the summer. In the back water almost anything goes, on the main lake the marine patrol is cruising around all day. They measure form the nose (excluding the rub rail) to the point where the bottom of the transom ends. My boat has a transom that slopes out then steps back inward before it meets the waterline. So the boat is over 21’ but by CL measurements it’s 21’. On the new boats with the pickle fork design they still measure from the center of the nose, not the longest point of the fork. The best thing to do is bring up your boat and have the CL Marine Patrol measure it. Their number is 951-246-3473.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-27-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Canyon Lake is getting very crowded, especially in the backwater.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
thanks Gary
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
i dont know how any of you guys live there with all the rules they have. pretty lame. talk about having your rights taken away even more than the government has taken already
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
i dont get how 6-12 inches is going to affect anything. the logic there is non existant
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   

quote:

talk about having your rights taken away even more than the government has taken already

wow, a little dramatic, don't you think?

canyon lake is a private community, which means they can set the rules as they see fit, whether it makes sense to you or not.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
The old saying is true, you give someone an inch and they try to take a mile. You have to draw the line somewhere. The lake is small and on a busy weekend it’s like you’re in a washing machine. I understand the logic what’s a foot or two but then where does it stop, 30 feet? Very few 22 footers don’t get passed on the measurement, like I had posted earlier the new XStar and TomCat are approved.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-28-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
The rule has always been there, used to go off of registration. After a couple of goofs had their 25' party cats registered as 21', they started to crack down, actually measure the boats.

Again, it's getting very crowded here...
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-28-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
With all of the home foreclosures here the crowd may thin out some this season.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-28-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Sure hope so. Nothing worse than rolling out to the BW and seeing 20 boats in the lineup.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-28-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
I heard canyon lake does'nt play well with new people.

Hey Jeff, how's everyone?
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-28-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Only if you're on the slalom course.
Old     (ducttape)      Join Date: May 2006       01-28-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
The only real problem with Canyon is the nasty skin parasite everyone keeps getting. And armed and angry marine patrol. otherwise...
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-28-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
I don't mind if you stay away, more flat water for me!
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-28-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
Recently, we had bullets whiz by and hit the water near the boat and near one of our riders after she had fallen. So, with the risk of getting shot, the skin parasite and armed angry marine patrol, it might not be worth the risk. You decide.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-29-2008, 2:10 AM Reply   
And don't forget those big ugly water snakes in the backwater.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Gordie - Doing pretty good here. I'm a little gimpy, exploded my ankle on the trampoline. How are you feeling? And the rest of the Taylors?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-30-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
I just got out of the hospital, but doing ok,everyone else is good. Larry is playing High school hockey and having a great time, he's say's it's not the same as MI and Canada hockey but it's fun. Sorry for the HI-JACK. Hopefully I will be able to make it to some events this year! Missed everyone last seasons.