Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-22-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
So I was watching this Ted Talk about Ultra Ever Dry which is a super hydrophobic substance that can be applied on everyday objects to waterproof them. Think of paint funnels that don't waste paint, gardening gloves that don't get muddy etc ->

and was immediately curious about the applications to a wakeboard base, has anyone ever tried this? Would it make the board extremly fast or would the speed that wakeboarding takes place at rip the UED from the base? The board I'm riding right now has a base that is littered with dings/scuffs from the cable and if this stuff could allow me get a few more years out of it I think it'd be a great investment.

Even if it doesn't work, it's still cool. These guys coated a cell phone in it and used it underwater lol.

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-23-2013, 5:51 AM Reply   
Wow that is some wild stuff. Would be interesting to see how it works with wakeboarding, though my main question is how long does it last before the micro surface would rub off. And how would it stand up if you were hitting rails all day, but only one way to find out that's for sure.

The uses do seem to be endless...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-23-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hull of the boat? Maybe it would reduce friction and make the boats more fuel effecient? What about the bottom of a surf board that never gets ridden on rails? So many questions.....
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-25-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Hull of the boat? Maybe it would reduce friction and make the boats more fuel effecient?
How about spraying this stuff all over the interior of the boat? That way the water trickles down into the ski locker and out of the way. I wonder if that would extend the life of the upholstery and carpet? Too bad it doesn't make a permanent bond, that would carry the possibilities even further!

If it was permanent I would want it on my truck, windshield, side of the house, roof, walkway to the house... etc.

I really want this stuff on my wakeskate shoes. Imagine being able to put your foot in nice dry shoes every set!
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-23-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
The windshield of the boat would be great. I swear it never stays clean lol
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-23-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
Think I read somewhere that it only lasts a few months and its like 300 bucks a gallon. Pricey stuff but would be super nice on windshields/rims/etc
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-24-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Think I read somewhere that it only lasts a few months and its like 300 bucks a gallon. Pricey stuff but would be super nice on windshields/rims/etc
I agree completely there, that stuff is crazy!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-24-2013, 7:41 PM Reply   
did a quick search and found its a two part system.. about $57 a quart for part 1 and $100 for a quart of part 2. thats about $625 a gallon! amazing stuff but I can't see anything worth using it on at that price. Makes me wonder what it would do if it was on the bottom of a boat. I'll wait til wal mart sells the off brand.. sam's choice "ultra never-ever not wet"
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
Way cool!!!! Tons of applications. Slowly the price will fall and we could see it in some cool places

Good find!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
SUB boxes baby!!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
Man, never having to put on a wet vest again sounds pretty sick
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-25-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
^This. That'd be awesome! I'm sure the cost wouldn't be as great for companies...maybe someone at o'neil or billabong will notice and start incorporating it into their products. Never-wet/super quickdry boardshorts?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2013, 8:07 PM Reply   
Have you seen the price of this stuff? Quite expensive