Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Yesterday was the first day we took the boat out, kinda a test run after all the maintenance this winter.

I have done alot of reading on WW, asked alot of questions, and bought the book.

I got up on my 2nd try and rode about 20 feet before I ate it, it felt like the boat was going to slow once I got up. My wife filmed it so when I get a chance to post the video hopefully you guys can offer some more pointers.

After getting up on the 2nd try, I was pretty happy, but with about 5 or 6 more tries I never got up again.

Just for reference, the boat driver has never pulled someone on a wake board and is a very inexperienced boat driver in general.

I am going out again on wednesday afternoon I will keep you posted.

Kelly (Weskel)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Well thats awesome... Don't give up, a good boat driver is worlds easier for the rider!!

At this point concentrate on not standing up too fast once the board starts to get on plane.. Once up to stand as tall as possible with both knees slightly bent and keep the handle in at your front hip!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Awesome job man! welcome to the club!

now you get to learn tricks haha
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Haaa, just looked at your profile after posting. I remember you now! Where are you riding?
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
We just went into Rocky Bayou last night, we didnt even head down until after 2:00 yesterday afternoon.

I mainly wanted to check everything out with the boat.

If you offer from before still stands I would love to meet up with you and get some advice in person.

After I gave it a shot, my 15 year old son got on the board and with me driving he got up on his first try and rode halfway around the bayou.

It did feel good to be able to get up, even once.

We are going out Wednesday afternoon, but wont be doing much riding, I am picking up a buddy of mine who is flying in for a day, in Destin and go cruising around.

This weekend we will be out early and all day.

Kelly
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
I've got a busy beginning of the week but with Memorial Day and such coming up I should be out most of the weekend. I guess keep to this thread for more specific times/dates/etc. We're always up to just cruise, so maybe here soon we can meet up and I'd gladly give you a pull and offer whatever help I can, your son too for that matter.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Make sure you have some big fins on the board, they help you track straight, lean back on you back foot, away from the boat, to get the fin in the water. If you find when you ride that you start to square up to the boat drop you back arm and just go with one arm for awhile it will help you track. and get the feel of it. Keep it up it is a fun sport. Good luck, If you come to Chicago look me up and I take you out.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-14-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
It's not you, it's the driver's fault. lol. Congrats, don't give up.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I bought the CWB Faze 141 and the fins look very large, probably about 2 or 3 inchs tall.

I am looking forward to trying it again this weekend.

It's always the drivers fault, is'nt it??

I was able to get a little air off of my knee board yesterday though...

kelly
Upload
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Ok!!!

You got up on a wakeboard. Now throw that kneeboard away, and never, ever, ever, post a pic of you riding it on here again.

Kneeboards are for men who sit when they pee.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
That hurts my knees just looking at it.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
Owe that hurt's Cliff, you wounded my inner child!!!Knee boarding is for Un-athletic fat kids, like myself....

To be perfectly honest, it hurt more than my knees, look closely at this picture, notice the sunglasses with the yellow strap departing the explosion of water created by the face plant landing!!!!

Upload
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
what boat are you riding behind?
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
An I/O, 2000 Chaparral 186SSI.
Old    tittiesintheciti            05-14-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
cliff you made my monday!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
...that looks pretty boring hahaha
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
Cliff. I am a very inexperienced wakeboarder but you might want to take that fin off, i have no idea why CWB puts a 1.9" fin on there boards and forget buying a new fin because they are 20 bucks.... EACH!!!1 what a rip off. We should all send CWB our giant finns in a huge box hahaha No one uses fins that big. I kept catching the fins and eating it so hard when I had them on, when i took them off it rode like a snowboard nice, loose and soft untill you really hit your edge hard and proper
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-15-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
haha, I just took my huge fins and sliced them in half with my Dremel and went back out it made a HUGE difference
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
I thought the bigger the fins, the better for a beginner to track straight???

Just keep in mind when I say beginner, I am the biggest beginner there is, I just got up on Sunday, and then only rode 20 feet.

I think either the boat was going to slow or I stood up too soon, I was able to get the board tracking in the right direction though.

Kelly
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-15-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Hey Kelly,
I remember your post from before. I kept saying to myself.. man that's me.
Well since your post I went to the boarding school wakeboard camp.
I'm no pro but it was seriously one of the best times I've ever had!!!!! By the end of the first day I was getting up like it was 2nd nature and i could even edge toeside and heelside.
The first thing the guys did was take those huge fins of my board and put on smaller ones. Try tucking your heels up against your butt when your getting up (you should have no problems since you kneeboard) I tore my knee up playing soccer about 10 years ago and it doesn't bend that far anymore but just getting close popped me right up. Then just try and sit there till the boat gets up to speed.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2007, 2:32 AM Reply   
Kelly we need to hook up near Hurlburt, Cinco, or Shalimar sometime and I can give you some tips on driving and getting up. We will be near Hurlburt on Sat for a shop party at the marina. Blue 20' Monterey, aluminum tower, with board racks on each side.