Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    goose69            02-05-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
To those familiar to the Portland Wakeboarding scene in Oregon. I'm just curious to how many people have experienced the contest WET WEDNESDAYS

And what you people think about the contest and if you would actually miss it if it did not happen. It seems that is a possibility for this coming summer.

Personally I know I would miss it and be very sad to see it end after such a long run. I have been going to the contest for several years now and I have even competed in it. It’s been a place for meeting new friends and fellow wakeboarders for years and I just only hope that will continue. The contest has always been more about hanging out and having fun then competing but to me that’s exactly what wakeboarding is about.
Any thoughts??
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       02-05-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
I would miss it, even though I'm not in Oregon right now. If it didn't happen, it would ruin my annual trip to Oregon.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-05-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
I don't see it going away. There is too much interest in the event. I have talked to people who are interested in countinuing the event. Locations and such are some concerns. Jeff copyrighting the name won't prevent the event from continuing on Wednesdays. I believe Brigdecity will continue Fat Tuesdays at Hebb park. Not sure if Portland Ski will do Thursdays at Who's Songs as well.
So this is my thoughts....without sponsership from someone (board companies, boat companies, liquid refreshment companies) it is a costly venture. Not many local dealers wanting to lose money to put on the event. Prizes, boats, fuel and running the event is more than the $20 bucks or so from the riders. Even with 20 riders thats only $400. Pay top three riders half that and what do you have $200 to pay for boat, gas and help. Find some sponsers.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
I would miss it too, I have been going to it for the last few years and my Kids and friends have competed it in also so it would be a great loss to the Portland Wakeboard scene. Maybe Active will take it over again.
Old    goose69            02-05-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
As far as the trademark is concern, I do not believe that is an issue. Wet Wednesdays with wakeboarding or not will still happen at Who's Songs and Larry's. As far as Active is concern I have talk with several people from who work there and they show no interest. (At least that’s the feeling I got)
I m just curious to the people who have gone, competed or watched the actual wakeboarding... will it be missed. I think people have no idea that it may not happen and there for may not show the actual support that it may need to get the sponsors/boat shop to make the contest happen.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
Have Who Song's get a sponsor for the boat, or i know there are tons of sweet wakeboard boats around this town that might help. Eigther way, Who Song should pay somthing, i dont know if they do or not right now, but they are making out sooo good on those nights!
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
We would miss it as well!! A good place to watch the sport in a city setting on those long warm Portland nights.
Old    goose69            02-06-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Well personally I am not happy with the way Who's Songs and Larry's has dealt Wet Wednesdays contest. They seem to view it strictly as a cash pot. Last summer for the first time they started to charge a $2 cover. And even though we have not gotten a firm answer, they are not sponsoring the Wet Wednesday videos that we are releasing this summer.
From my understanding but I don't know for sure is that they leave the whole cost of the event to the boat shop but rake in the money on the drinks and now cover charge.
I would also like to point out this thread is not to point out any short comings of anybody but to get feed back on what people think of the contest and if they wish for it to continue.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-06-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
From what people have said thus far, yes they would like it to continue. Someone needs to form a group to take the event out of the hands of boat dealers and resturaunts. Make it a contest for the riders, not to sell boats or sell booze.
Find some sponsors and people willing to help because they love the sport. I know this sounds wishful thinking but don't know till you try. Possible having members in a Portland Wakeboarding club. And put on some events.
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
My family and I would help where help is needed if someone is organizing a Portland event! The hard part is find a sponsor with deep marketing pockets other then restaurants or beer distributors. How about a local wakeboard related gear shop or web merchant? Need sponsorship like the running events have.
Old     (clintrn)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2004, 2:17 AM Reply   
Too bad Nike isn't involved in Wakeboarding, You could give Phil Knight (founder of Nike) a call.
Old    pumpkin_head            02-07-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
In previous years, has anyone hit up the local radio stations for support? KUFO possibly? They might lend some marketing clout to the event and attract some sponsors. I have never attended the event but was hoping to go a couple of times this year.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-07-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Yes and Yes.
I have talked with Nike on the subject of wakeboarding. I was talking with both the AGC (All Conditions Gear) and their extreme sports division. Both now involved and sponsoring skateboarding. There is alot of interest from employees about wakeboarding. But it takes time to move forward. Nike doesn't jump into anything. Plus they like a ICON to promote their sport. (Jordan, Bo Jackson, Mia Hamm, Tiger Woods)

And yes KNRK was promoting Wet Wednesdays and Wakeboard Wars. KNRK and Who's Songs and Larry work together on the promotion.

Again as I said, to move forward the Riders must organize a commitee or club to promote Wakeboarding and find sponsors. The problem without direction from a RIDER based group is sponsors take the sport into "alternative" directions. Making it a sideshow and not the main attraction. Riders can make sure it will stay focused on the compitition. Wetirish stated he is willing. I would be willing also. There is alot to do to get it off the ground. It will take commitment and time. And money. But I think it is possible. The mininum that would be gained is a Portland area Wakeboarding club.
Old    goose69            02-07-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
Sydwayz... this was not meant to discuss what it would take to make this competition happen. But more or less to see if it would be worth the effort to do so. And how about to start having Who's Song and Larry's take on more responsibility for the competition and help with it instead of exploiting it
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-07-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
Jared,
First you ask for comments on Wet Wednesdays and recieved positive responces wanting it to continue. And then you stated that it is very possible it would not continue. I stated to keep this event running and running in a fashion that is benificial to the riders. Someone must get involved. The boat dealers realize that the event is costly with little return. Active to my knowledge is not going to pursue it. Bridgecity already does Tuesdays and may have a interest if it is run by someone. And Portland ski realizes the money and time comitment to doing a weekly event, may or may not.
Who's songs is in business to make money, not support wakeboarding. End of story. They will provide the place to have the event if it draws in people to their resturaunt. I can't fault them for that. But don't expect them to pay someone to put on the event.
And lastly...I'm trying to help this continue. If my comments and ideas find themselves offensive, my apology. Good luck in future endeavors.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-08-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Jared, What the F are you trying to say??? Everthing is in place for Wet Wednesday there will be Wet Wednesday in the year 2004 and many to come.

I do like the idea that Sydwayz said, we should get a rider wakeboard club going in portland.

I just what this to keep going for the riders only. As you guys know I have nothing to gain by doing Wet Wednesday, I just what to help keep the sport going strong. So if you can help with it great, if not back off...
Old    goose69            02-09-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Jeff,

This was I now way at an attempt to slam you or really anything to do with you at all. It was more or less to see what involvement I or we, as NumbSkull Productions want to put forth to help this contest. As I said this thread was to see if it will be missed or if people have any interest in it at all. In fact do you see me mention you at all?
And if there is such concrete evidence that Wet Wednesdays is going to happen next year can you post details. I am sure people are interested on when it will start this summer and who is putting in on. Also what is the cost to enter and what the format is. After all I do believe it is suppose to start in two months.

Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-09-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
Details will be let out soon. April 1st is when I will tell you and everyone what is going to happen, along with the cost and format.

Old    goose69            02-10-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Jeff,

I m glad u have the time to respond my post here on wakeworld and love all input even if it wasn't the input i was asking for, but do you have time to return phone calls as well.
Old    stereor102            02-10-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
what kind of boat is going to pull it this year
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-10-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
I know this isnt about Wet Wednesdays but it will get the oregon riders attention:

Anyone been to Hebb Park lately? I drove over there yesturday to check it out. The lower parking area is totally filled with mucky mucky mudd, as well as the ramp. The water is HIGH! Just somthing i noticed and thought id point out, its interesting to see being thats where i always ride from. BTW, the river looks scary now with the current and debris.....
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-11-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
Ryan,
You should come ride with us. The lake was money yesterday. Weird we were the only boat out there. The only thing is since it is so small I think it gets colder than the river in the winter, and obviously warmer in the summer.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-11-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
Do you ride on lake oswego? this time of year? wow, that would be sweet!
Old    goose69            02-11-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hey Lyle.. mind if I get pull??
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-12-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Sure,
I am not sure when we are riding again. I am kind of at the Mercy of the other riders on the lake right now and when they want to go. I just pulled our boat out to change the alternator and a couple other misc things. Probably have it back in the water in two or three weeks. Email me your phone number, I have your card some where, but just to make sure.

I checked out one of your videos looks pretty sweet. The other one wouldn't play in our DVD, I think because it is an older model. I have to cruise over to the neighbors and check it out.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-12-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Yeah actually the guy across the street is test driving an X-Star today. Hopefully he decides to get it that would sweet. Like I was saying above I am for the next few weeks going to be the L.O. Wakeboard slut and am a little hesitant to invite guys out on my friends' boats, but once I get ours back in the lake time to ride.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (bruunstar)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
MY 2 Cents:
cancel it... too getto for me, used to be nice until gresham showed up.
Old    goose69            02-13-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Funny...
Only remeber seeing you there mayber twice.
Old     (bruunstar)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-13-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
Oh, you can find me on the water... most of the time.
I just think a new venue would be nice, keep it rider-only-ish... if I wanted to go to a club I would go downtown.

peace,
bru
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-13-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
where people riding these times....my buddies insurance kicks back in, in 2 weeks....i got to convince him to take boat out....gonna be cold!