Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-01-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Anyone on here have experience with Joystick towers? I think I have decided to get their pro-series model but they don't seem to be very common. Maybe because I'm in South Carolina and joystick is out of California? I don't know? I really haven't seen many folks with them on any forums either. They appear to be solid built with 2.5" tubing and they are made in USA. They're a simple design and definitely reasonably priced. And I think one would look great on my 91 Supra Sunsport. But I can't really find much info or pictures or testimonials on them. the few pics that I have seen didn't really have anything on the tower. Maybe one board or some lights... That makes me a little concerned about hanging 70 lbs of wetsounds and a few boards from it and then towing my 240 lb @$$ behind it.

And to anyone that says I should get a Monster tower, because I know someone will, it's still "a possibility". But only the MT2 and I just don't think that it would look right on my boat. (and it costs twice as much) But this isn't a thread on what tower everyone thinks I should get or how nice it would be to have a New Dimension tower. I just want to know what information or advise is out there on the Joystick towers.

Any help or input is appreciated. Even if you're the guy that knew some guy that knew some other guy that use to have one and he liked it...

Thanks
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-02-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
My first tower was a Joystick but not the same model you are looking at. Overall I had a positive experience. The tower was durable, functional, and value priced and a fairly simple install with good customer support, but admitadly it wasn't the most stylish (boxy look with exposed hardware in places), but then again I put it on a '96 I/O so was not going to spend 1000s on a tower.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have their pro series tower. It's super strong and would have no worries about putting a heavy load on it. I got it mainly because I like how the hardware is all CNC crafted from solid aluminum. The joints and mounting plates are really stout. The powdercoating is top notch too. The tubing is 2.5", but be aware that the top center tube is 2.5" I.D. (outer diameter is probably 2 5/8") so be aware that some speakers and light bars do not come with brackets that size. I had no problem mounting my speakers though.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of pics..

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-06-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Colin. I will have to look into the speaker/clamp mounting situation. I already have speakers and a bunch of different adapters for different size towers but not sure if there are any between 2.5" and 3". What about your board racks? Are those also from joystick or did you buy those seperately?
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
I have had a positive experience with Joystick. We have the Roll Bar one with the strap, totally different than what you are looking at getting, but its been on the boat (95' I/O) for ~10 years without any major issues. We chose that one because we really didn't know what we are getting into with a tower purchase and didn't want to spend 2,000+ for what some towers were going for back then. Its not the sexiest looking attachment on a boat but it does the job. The tubing has been solid. We have two Joystick racks on there which have also been solid for years. My only gripe is putting up and taking it down, but I know that going into the purchase (it uses metal pins mounted on the side of the boat.) This does seem to be an issue on the model tower you are looking at.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
I had the Joystick pro series tower on my old boat and it was very stong and it was pretty easy to install. If I ever had to buy another tower I would definitaly get it again.
Attached Images

Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
The racks are from Aerial. http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-19-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
I had one on my Centurion Elite-V for about 10 years. It was solid. I could fold it down in less than 10 minutes. I had no speakers but 4 racks on the tower. I was also able to tie our tube to the top of the tower. It was also easy to install. I did use Monster board and ski racks.

I could also have a bimini that fit under the tower which was nice. The model I had was basic though.

Kris