Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hi all,
I'm looking at a 2001 SAN for sale pretty close to me. This will be my first inboard so I would appreciate any tips on what to look for. Obviously I will make sure everything is working (pp, ballast, etc). The seats are in fair shape, but I expect that on an 01. The exterior looks very nice. It has ~500 hours on it. It's in the midwest so I assume freshwater, but I'll double check.

What else should I look for? Would this be a decent starter boat? I'm a beginner/intermediate wakeboarder with 2 small boys that I want to teach, and of course improve myself. I've also considered a similar era X-star, as well as quite a few other brands.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-26-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
The stock digital gauges on those 01's were crap. Make sure they've been replaced, but with 500 hrs I bet they already have been. You'll have a top shelf boat that you may never want to upgrade.
Old    K.B.C.            10-26-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
great boat, can't go wrong IMO. The 01 is my favorite year. Ditto on the digital guages. Good luck.

You may also want to check planetnautique.com.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I can probably handle replacing gauges. Will the hours read correctly after replacement?

I dont think it has a bimini-is factory the way to go?

(Message edited by tlatoani on October 26, 2007)
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Great, high quality product. Rock solid:
http://www.towerbiminis.com/index.aspx
Old    K.B.C.            10-26-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
no, if the guages are replaced the hours will start over at 0. It sounds like when they are usually replaced most go with the non-digi/ more traditional style needle guages.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-26-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with an 2001 SAN!!!!
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
When you replace the gauges they will read at 0 so if they have been replaced beware of how many hours the boat really has. If you do need to replace them your local Nautique dealer will give you a discount price on the new gauges since Nautique realized that they were crap and basically did some sort of a recall on them. The new gauges are just a plain jane analog style gauge. That is an awesome boat that throws one of the most popular wakes in the industry and Nautiques are very well made boats. You would be getting a great boat that you could keep for a lifetime. The only other thing that I can suggest to you is that you take the boat to your local dealer and see if they can check the boat out for you and make sure that everything is running properly. Sure it may cost you some money but a good opinon on how the boat is running is worth it.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Oh and as far as bimini tops you should look into the over the tower biminis that they are putting on all the newer nautiques. They look great, give you more head room, and provide more shade than your standard bimini because they can be of greater size and not kill your head room. These are only avalible if the boat has the stock 2nd generation Nautique tower on it. I work at a Nautique dealer and have seen them put on the older boats and they look fantastic. Check with your local dealer and see if they can get one for ya. If not I'm sure that I can and can have it shipped to you pm me if you would like some pictures of a boat that has had one done.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
Looking at the pictures they appear to be digital gauges-so I assume they are probably the stock ones.

It is for sale at a dealer so hopefully they have checked it out. This is the closest dealer (about 2 hours away). I just happen to like the colors. Too bad it doesnt have the flip up driver's seat...but I can live with that.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-26-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Tell em to swap the gauges before hand for the analogs. You will want perfect pass if the boat is not equipped already, get it now and have the dealer swap the gauges and do the PP install.

01 SAN is an amazing boat.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-26-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have an 00 SAN and I could not be happier. You will have the three piece engine cover on the 01 which is a plus. I love my boat and I have since installed an automatic ballast system and I am doing the stereo upgrade right now. I would make sure it has the perfect pass. I have the crappy digital gauges and just decided to keep them since I use the perfect pass for pretty much everything anyways. The PP should also have an hr. meter that you can check on as well. The PCM GT-40 is a great engine and starts like a champ everytime. I would make the jump and like others have stated you will then have your ride for the next ten years since CC makes a rock solid boat.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
no flip up drivers seat till 03, you can always add one though. Check to see if the boat is there on consignment(spell) or if they traded in. At our dealership we will fix all the problems at hand at the cost of the seller if the boat is a trade in but if it is a consignment then the boat is sold as is.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-26-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
you will love it i had an 00 san for five years and only replaced a starter. Fun and extremely reliable
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
good stuff guys, thanks. I'm rather glad nobody is telling me to get an xstar or something else. I'm about sick of looking.

It is on consignment. So that means it probably has not been checked over real well eh? I assume seats are more than I want to spend, but maybe in the future.