Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-12-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Well just thought I would toot my own horn! I got my first surface 360 this past Friday. Me and a friend went out on my boat in the morning and pretty much had the lake to ourselves. Glassy water and no jet skis in sight!! We decided we would skip the wakeboarding and just surf all day. We have both been trying to get our first 360 with bragging rights hanging in the balance. After about 5 or 6 hours of surfing and too many failures to count I was pretty much wasted. My buddy talked me in to trying one last time. I agreed reluctantly and jumped back in(my legs and arms were beat). I tried once and fell and then on the next try nailed it! I was around and still standing and couldn't believe it! I almost forgot to speed up a little to stay in the wake because I was so surprised to still be in it and standing! Once I caught back up to the boat I let out a whoop that could be heard about a 1/2 mile away and then pearled the board and wiped out...
It sure felt great to finally get it....I am glad I tried that last time. The only downside is that I am not really sure what I did differently that time and was not able to duplicate it again the next time out. I am pretty sure that it is just a matter of needing to be more neutrally balanced while spinning as most of my falls seem to be after completing the spin but pearling the board. My friend has still not got his 360 yet but has been very close and should nail it pretty soon! I will always be able to say I got it first though!
We are currently riding an 06 IS Yellow.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-12-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Way to go.....
I did my first 360 about a week ago on an IS Blue. I was able to get it twice in one session but that was it.

Now that you are one up on him you will have to get it down so you can move on to the next trick before him.

Way to go.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Thanks Michael

Yeah, it's funny...last year when I got the boat we wakeboarded exclusively for the first few months. Then I started reading up on wakesurfing and was telling my friend that I wanted to try it. He had pretty much zero interest and said that it seemed like it would be boring. Now he just wants to surf all the time!
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
That is the way it was for me too. They all wanted to wake board and now we don't even bring the wakeboard out with us.
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,

I just started to land the 3 consistently and the best advice i can give is:

1- SPOT YOUR LANDING... just like in wakeboarding except you don't really leave the water. But still, turning your head the direction you are spinning and looking ahead of you to spot the pocket you are aiming for will help a ton.

2- STAY LOW AND BALANCED... the lower you are, the lower your center of gravity is and the harder it is to fall over/get off-balance. There's a middle ground though, b/c if you get too low then you can't pump at the end to stay in the wave.

3- COMMON SENSE CORRECTIONS... if you are pearling the nose in at the end then try putting more pressure on your back leg/heel the last 1/4turn of the spin so the nose doesn't catch and dive under. The hardest part about corrections is that they usually only need to be small, tiny adjustments b/c there's no rope/tension to play off of while surfing.

Those 3 things and a lot of practice and you'll be landing 3's til you're dizzy. good luck bro

Next trick (imo): 180 or 360 shuvits}}
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Jon

Thanks for the tips! The spot your landing piece is probably the biggest thing I need to work on. I had a friend tell me yesterday that a key is to let your head lead the way and your body will follow. (he has never surfed but he is a kayaker and he says that is what they are taught for doing spins) I think I have just been whipping it around and not really letting my head start the rotation. Great stuff! Thanks