Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    xtremrider            06-23-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
My girl digs going to the river with me, but she isnt that into the water sports, I think maybe trying to get her to wakeboard and AIR CHAIR, should i start her out on something easyer, like kneeboarding, and if so is there any suggestions to get one cheap.. if i am going to get one i want a high performance one so i can ride it.
Old    flipside            06-23-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
I've kneeboarded and wakeboarded both. Personally, I find wakeboarding to be the MUCH easier thing to do...as far as just getting up and riding go.

FlipsidE
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-23-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
I saw an article in Boating magazine that had something like 10 tips to get your significant other out on the water and enjoying the sport like you do. I think this would make a great article when applied to wakeboarding. What are some of the items you would include?

Here are some of the things they listed that would apply to wakeboarding:
- Don't drive too fast
- Don't bring them on board to do chores
- Make sure you prepare food and drink
- Listen
- Don't yell
- Get her some lessons beforehand (with someone besides you)
- Encourage participation

These should help Xtremrider and many others.
Old    damnation            06-23-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Try holding her head under water until she agrees to try. J/K. Don't follow my advice, but Dave W's sounds pretty good.

Also, don't get her to try for the first time with a boat full of sick riders. Maybe just her and one of her friends on the boat with you would make her feel more comfortable.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
All very good points... What I do is just make sure they have a great time in general. Never force them to try anything till they want to... Never do anything they dont want to, and drive little slower over any bumps, makeing sure I dont scare them if they are not use to boating. I meet this one girl I've been bringing on the boat lately and she has been having a blast. Well this last weekend she finally decided to try wakeboarding and loved it... And as Dave said.. my friends gave her the lessons, I was there just to chear her on...
Old    transcoastrider            06-23-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Learned this one through trial and error! Make sure your girl enjoys trying new things...if she doesn't she will hate you for forcing it on her. Then you will have to get rid of her...never as easy as it sounds! Some girls would just rather work on their tan while on the water...go figure!!!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
No complaining on girls who like to work on there Tan... That means they will love riding in the boat and more boarding time for you... They wont complain about being in outside to long, cuz well thats where they will get their tan.
Old    mojorisr            06-23-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
What I did was (I wouldn't recommend this to everyone) told my girlfriend that she couldn't get back in the boat until she got up. Note- she was really close and I knew she could do it. She hated me at the time but was so happy because she did get up. It ALMOST made her forget how mad she was intitially. I told her once you get up one time you will almost get up every time after. She rips now... I just have to worry about her getting better than me...Ha Ha!
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
DON'T PUSH!!!!

As the girl in a similar situation, all I can say is don't push it. Move gradually and let her determine if she wants to try it. From there be very encouraging. I have had this experience in wakeboarding and surfing. Let her progress on her own if she enjoys it. I enjoy both now, but initially didn't care for either due to feeling forced. When I realized how big a part of Mr. Mooch's life these two activities are, I decided it was up to me to get myself involved.
Old    crash_and_burn            06-23-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
You guys are waisting you time.. Money, dinner, and jewerly are the only things that work.. And judging by the likes of you guys, thats just to get them to go out in the boat.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
Did you say likes or looks. :-)
Old    jdr            06-24-2003, 11:47 PM Reply   
All good points. What do you do with her that she likes to do? Remember, it's a two way street. Sounds to me like she's already going out on a limb and going with you in the boat ect. Like others said, let her do what SHE wants to do. And if you will pick one of her favorite things to do and start enjoying that with her while she's off the water, I bet her enjoyment of you, and of being on the water will grow.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-25-2003, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quit wasting both your time and hers.
Teach her to drive!
If she won't drive make sure she can at least wash and wax the boat.
Old    xtremrider            06-25-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
She is learning how to drive, and getting it, not incredibly fast but still getting it, a little more practice and she will get it. She loves to go on the boat and get sun but just doesnt like the water sports very much.
Thanks for all your help guys
Old    xrated            06-25-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
Get her drunk
Old    elektra            06-25-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Don't. If she wants to she will, but it is clear she doesn't so just let her be a boat junkie.
Old    mandi            06-25-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
I got called a sissy until I tried it and that worked because I hate being called a sissy because my theory is that if a girl wants to she can be just as good as any guy. But they were calling me a sissy because the water was freakin cold if it wasn't for that I would have been more than happy to get out on the water.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
depends on if shes ever been behind a boat if not I'd say put her on a biscuit but don't try to throw her off it
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-25-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
concrete shoes
Old    xtremrider            06-26-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yea we got her on the tube, first my dad drove, and treated her way too well so i made him let me drive, i kicked her ass, drove so hard i threw her off on a 40mph full turn, so she was going very fast. she dug it and got right back on. my prob is when i took her boarding it only took her a couple trys to get up, but when she is up she cant do anything and she is very impatiant so thats why she isnt that excited to go back out. I told her she could practice and get better but she thinks she should be good right away.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            06-26-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
buy her one of these, then she will feel obligated to learn...
no, honestly, if she doesnt want to, then she maybe she just isnt into it..my husband has been wakeboarding for 3 years and I just started this year, cuz thats when I wanted to start..let her do it in her own time...then she will love it, if she if forced to do something, she may resent it AND you!!!!
p.s. tell her how awesomely fun it is and how proud of her you'll be!!! us girlies love that junk!!!
angisimpson.comwakeboard
Old     (fungirl)      Join Date: May 2001       06-26-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
The post about bringing her and a friend or two out is perfect! I also like the 'get her drunk' post! LOL

Patience with her will help also

Good Luck
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-26-2003, 5:05 PM Reply   
Hey man is she really competitive with you as in does it piss her off that she can't jump on and be as good as you are first up????
Thats how my x was with me but we started at the same time so by the time I got better (cause I was going out heaps more) she was already hooked...If thats your problem you might be SOOL ( of luck)
Old    daisyboarder            06-27-2003, 12:24 AM Reply   
my advice, if she likes being in the boat bonus. Have a few of her girl friends come out and maybe get them to learn or other girls that know how to ride, if she's learning with other girls she may not feel embarrassed to try. It totally depends on why she doesnt want to learn. But at least she spends time int he boat and willing to learn to drive, you know you will always have a driver, which is a bonus and she'll always be aroudn for moral support. Only other suggestion is if its anxiety about actually learning get someone that already knows how to ride to go doubles with her, its what i did a couple of weekends ago with someone who was really anxious and once they tried a bit with me beside them helping them, the felt more comfortable eventually trying on their own. sorry its all i got, otherwise just appreciate she's actually willing to be in the boat. She doestn have to be behind the boat to have fun..