Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (trentski)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-25-2003, 2:47 AM Reply   
I know I should have searched for the answer to this but have you tried doing a search for fat sacs or ballast pumps on this site
I know some of you are quite particular about your boats so do you empty fat sacs in the boat for the bilge pump to take care of or is there a better way?
And if there is a better way, Why is it better?

Ta
Trentski
Old    chris_hargis            02-25-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
The better way is to plumb in a ballast system where you don't have to touch the bags for filling and draining. Having the bags hidden and out of the way yet able to fill witht he touch of a switch and possible turning a valve, then draining the same way is just too much easier.
Now for the draining the bags into the boat question, most standard bilge pumps are 500 GPH, so it would take a while to empty the water out using it. If you are going to do it that way, I would consider upgrading your bilge pump to a higher capacity. Some people don't like that amount of water drained into their boat, but it is a boat and water is not the enemy as long as it doesn't flood electrical components. I used to do mine that way until I got everything plumbed in. Much easier the new way, and less strain on my old back.
Old    oldschool            02-25-2003, 5:52 AM Reply   
Keep emptying the sac into your boat and see how long the floor lasts. Better yet, take a look at the pockets in the floor in areas you don't see.
Old    chris_hargis            02-25-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
Unless you are referring to the carpet rotting, then I would be curious to know how water will damage the floor.
Old    oldschool            02-25-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
If it's an older boat that has wood stringers or floor boards. The water will get into the pockets that are behind the rear seat and work their magic.

I have heard of this happening to certain models/years of Mastercrafts.

I am just passsing this on from some people I talk to at the board shop. They have had to rebuild the floors in their boat because they emptied the sacs on the the floor regularly.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Not only the carpet, but having that much water sitting in your boat isn't good for the engine as well. my dad's old boat was left out during a heavy rain with no cover and the plug in. I didn't take long for the starter to rust up. It was a new starter at the time. I know that it is a marine product, but not every marine part is designed to be submerged in water. Be careful if you go this route.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
just drop a hose over the side or under the engine box into the bilge for the discharge....i wouldn't dump it ON the floor.

Old    absolutofft            02-25-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I always just reversed the pumps and put them over the side of the boat.
Old    jeep05            02-25-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
worse case... feakin get a hose and suck on it. lol
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
i've had to siphon our sacks for the last 3 years. it is a pain though. i have finally decided to rig up some sort of pumps system for this year.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-26-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
syphoning works great if you can do it while the boat's on the trailer*. an extra long hose over the side almost vaccuums bags dry

*dont screw up your trailer
Old     (trentski)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-26-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
OK you have convinced me not to empty the sacs in the boat

We fill the sacs with a bilge pump that we throw over the side, what sort of pump do we need to empty them? I have an idea but want to be sure, i might even try sipening, but don't know if I can suck that much water without coming off the wake first

Thanks guys and gals
Trentski
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-27-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
Go to Walmart and get an attwood 750 aerator pump.
They're cheap and they work pretty good. Or try Ebay.