Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Any big reasons to not get a boat with the mercruiser 350 Mag? Is there a big difference between the two?

Thanks,

Darin
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I've owned both - currently have a Merc 330hp black scorpion version. Seems like the merc uses more fuel but that is also influenced by the boat. I have 300 hours in 13 months and have no problems.
Old    captrowee            08-14-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
Buy a boat with the best, PCM!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
I hate the plastic raw water pump on Mercs, and they used to be more prone to vapor lock. Parts are easier to find for Mercs worldwide. Other than that, they're very similar in my experience.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-15-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
In my experience, Mercruiser is a publically traded company, they make as many engines as possible, as cheaply as possible, they give them a 1 year warranty from the factory, Indmar, I dont know the warranty, I would assume its a 3 year like most the high end engine manufs., My buddy has a Mobius with and indmar, we sack the hell out of it with 13 people in it, no problems 140 hrs in one year, no problems, I sell Tige with marine power motors, they are f in sick, 3 year warranty, Tige offers PCM (Ford), Merc (NO), and Marine Power, we run all MP and we have no problems, I would go with Indmar for sure.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
13 years
2 boats both with Merc 5.7L
0 problems (not even a hiccup)
your results may vary
Old    bocephus            08-15-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I would just like to take responsibility for this discussion!

Thanks!
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
i really can't comment on Indmar. My boat has a PCM (its an 83 MC) but it has been great over the years, other than a few tune ups, like electronic ignition, and new coil, its been a great and strong running engine. But if i ever had the chance for some reason to upgrade an engine, i would go to indmar.
Old    captrowee            08-16-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
Just as a heads up to the Tig'e dealer, PCM is a GM based product and is a three time J.D. Powers winner.
Indma 1 time
Merc never
Marine Power Never
PCM provides cutting edge Technology and Componets, not to mention the NEW CVD V-Drive, WOW!
Buy one, they are great!
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
My Black Scorpion came with 2 year factory warranty. Additional 2 years by purchasing at the boat show. And for a small additional fee (ha-ha)
got another two years from the dealer. Total 6 years. Would be interested to hear what other manufacturers are offering as standard warranty.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
Roy, what is CVD-V-drive??
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 3:59 AM Reply   
are you repowering? if so, the cost of harness etc conversion can be prohibitive.
if buying new, I would not base my descicion on what powerplant a manufacturer uses... having said that... we suffered a cooling issue recently at a vacation lake, Mercruiser parts are a lot easier to find.
The engines these days as far as I'm aware all are marinized GM blocks, the transmissions are all similar.
Old    captrowee            08-17-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
The CVD is the first V-Drive built for wakeboard boats and recreational V-Dr boats.
Much, much smaller than the Hurth 450 and 630.
A breeze to install and service, pass thru shaht.
Easier to service than Walters, lower profile and quieter than all offerings.
Also, PCM has a standard 3 year Factory warranty and your dealer can sell you additional years of insurance from a insurance service provider.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
Would tranny size be a consideration? Seems to me that "recreational" is not necessarily a good thing when running sacked out. Overdimension may be a good thing.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Rich... My standard warranty from the manufacturer was 5 years....bow to stern....
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Someone said that the Mercruisers come with a 1 year warranty... I sell Sea Ray boats and the Mercruiser comes with a 3 year warranty. Thats from MC, not Sea Ray. I think you may look into that. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just offering that information.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Roy, where can I get to see a glance on this CVD V-drive unit, it sounds interesting at least.
I've been looking for specs and pricing on a Walter V-drive recently, but could not find any either.
Old    captrowee            08-17-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hehttp://www.mercurymarine.com/mercruiser_warrantyre is Merc's warranty:
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
This is my second season with a Merc inboard, a 315 HP V-drive set up, the year before it was a dealer demo with about 40 hours when I bought it. On July 29th we were running all morning long without a problem then the engine stopped working and acted like the lanyard had been pulled.

We got towed back the boat ramp, it's been at the dealership ever since. I called yesterday, the service technician still has no idea what wrong and I'm now boat less.

If this were my car I'd expect the engine to be back in working order in no less than three days. Any longer than three days a car dealership would probably give me a loaner. I'm very disappointed that it has taken this long and they still don't know why the engine won't run.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
over 300 hours on our 2004 350 MAG/MPI. No problems, smooth as glass, plenty of power. 3rd boat, all with Mercruiser. All brands of engines are good. Everybody has there personal preference just like Ford vs Chevy. Anybody that had a bad one of any particular brand will tell you to stay away from it. But if you look through these boards, you will see that every brand of boat and engine and trailer has had some kind of problem or another. It may or may not ever happen to you.

(Message edited by p e ski on August 17, 2006)