Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-05-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
I have some questions if you are using your Supra in salt.
Thanks
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-06-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
I used to but my engine and trailer rusted away, all i have now is 4 tyres and a hull sitting on top of them.

Sorry your probably looking for a different answer but 97% of people on here will tell you not to go anywhere new salt water with your boat.
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Mine will spend its whole life in Brackish water, as did my old boat. What's the question?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
My buddy had a 03 SSV that we rode in the salt without an issue. Sure the trailer got alittle rusty but that's what trailers do... Wipe it down and flush your engine when your done and you'll be fine.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-06-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
My owners manual specifically says that if you are going to be using the boat in salt full time that you should install the fresh water cooling system. I'm just wondering if this is an absolute neccessity or is the owners manual being over protective?????

I was rushed into moving to a new place and didn't have the chance to have the fresh water system installed. My hopes were to use the boat this season (in salt) and then have the fresh water system installed during the winter for next year. But if I go all this year with the regular intake, would it even be worth installing the fresh water system for next season???
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
nah. a fresh water system keeps the water out of your engine, but not the risers. i looked at getting the fresh water on mine when i ordered it, but a flush kit was just more practical. i wash the outside and then flush while i'm cleaning the interior, all the salt water is out by the time im done. i would just install a flush kit and call it a day.

my last boat was a 90' naut. and lived its whole life before i got it in the florida salt...then when i got it, it saw texas salt. never rusted out or missed a lick. my new boat is an 06' and will spend 99% of its life in salt...as long as you flush you'll be fine.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-06-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ryan, at last someone talking sense :-) I've roade in salt all my life and there really isn't any issue with it.

Most people will tell you your engine will be rusted out in 5 years but its simply not true. We have a 28yr old MC over here in the UK which has had all its life in saltwater on the same engine.

Just flush after each use and you'll be fine.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-06-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I just bought the Fake a Lake flusher, is this just as good as the flush kit or should I buy a flush kit?
Old     (ck73)      Join Date: May 2006       06-06-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I have used my Sunsport in salt water before and I just flushed my engine and trailer\brakes when I was done and it just fine.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
works the same, but I think the inline flush kit is easier to work with, I hate crawling under the boat. It was easier for me to just screw in the hose to the inline piece.
Old     (brucem)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-17-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
I went with the fresh water cooling kit on my 2001 launch ss and a flush kit. It is cheaper to replace manifolds than it is to replace engine parts. It is also better that your engine is kept at a constant temp. You don't have to have it but your engine will last alot longer
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-18-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
You can also have the system plumbed so the salt water is only going through your risers.