Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (brado16)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have been doing some research the last week or so on new digital SLR Cameras. I have not been happy with the quality and the features on my current P&S camera. Most photos with it are some what blurry and extremly bad in dull lighting situations such as dusk when the sun is setting. I am looking for an entry level DSLR camera. I am a college student aka "baller on a budget" and am looking to only spend $600 or so. The camera will be used for wakeboarding. So far i have looked at the Pentax *ist DS, Nikon d50, and the Canon Rebel XT. I have read some of the past threads regarding the XT, but was wondering if anyone has/ used the pentax or nikon. Any feedback is appreciated. Thankx
Brady
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
nikon makes nice stuff, bodies and optics, i had the n70, a film camera and loved it, it made sweet pictures. But I just didn't like the d50 or d70 over the rebel xt or the 20d so i switched over to canon, i like their selection of lenses better.
Old     (brado16)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Taylor thanx for the input man! the Rebel XT would be my first choice, but im still wondering if the difference in performance between the Pentax *ist ds and the xt are worth the extra cash.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
the rebel would be a better sports shooter IMO, but you'll have to shoot manually or with a shutter priority. Unlike the rebel the Pentax uses an automatic mode that automatically decides the best scenario of settings, such as sports, portrait etc.

It looks as if the Pentax has an edge over the rebel as far as ease of use if its just going to be point and shoot.

If your going to look into buying more lenses, i'd imagine that canon has an edge on lense selection over pentax, although i am not familiar with pentax lenses.

In the top 5 entry level dslr review the pentax scored last in image quality as well as control. Where the rebel scored first in IQ and system flexibility, and second in ease of use and control.

hope this helps
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Taylor, The rebel does have a "sports" mode. I'm not sure where you got this info.

Brady,

Check the frames per second on the pentax, if it's less than 3fps, then go with the canon.

Actually go with the canon either way, because eventually you'll be investing in better glass and you can take it with you when you upgrade bodies down the road.

imho, that is!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-13-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
eric, yes, if i remember correctly pentax has a setting that is good for all senarios, where the rebel has a sports mode, portrait, macro, etc.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Any "all scenarios" mode would basically be Auto. Which the Canon has as well. It's the little green rectangle on the dial that most of start with, grow tired of, and then start to really use the camera!

Plus another thing I found out is that the pentax is 2.8 frames per second for 8 frames, while the canon will do 3 frames per second for 14 frames. Much better IMO for riders that go big! (Plus everyone needs to see how big the splash for the crash was!!!!)

Either way, Brady should be looking at this page

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page1.asp

and this page for the Pentax

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page1.asp

and asking here or on Fred Miranda for pointers!

Good luck!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
the green rectangle is all scenarios? I didn't know that, i just stick to Tv, Av, and Manual. good to know though.

i'll second fredmiranda, its a great forum and has great reviews for lenses and bodies
Old     (mcinvale)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
Get a Canon or Nikon, I prefer Canon. You can pick up a nice used body for $500 then some decent glass for $100.