Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Ok I couldn't help it I had to start a new one hehe. Ladies if you have any questions on dirtbikes or mx go to mxgirls.com the women on this site are extremely helpful.
Melissa this is just my 2 cents, TTR's are great bikes if all your are looking to do is ride around camp. Their suspension is not the best if you are planning on jumping. It all depends on what you are planning to do with your new toy. From experience I can say it is much better to invest in something that will last you longer and you will grow into. I am on bike #3 in one year, not very economic. If I had the chance to do it over I would have started on a racing bike any model 125/250F. This is only because we are always at the track, these bikes are geared for track and the suspension rocks! The TTR's are designed for trails and like Bonnie said "play bikes". Like a wise mxgirl told me, a beginner learns much faster on bigger/faster bikes. Like I said this is just my $.02. I hope to see you at the track soon!
Bonnie I envy you! I was just saying today at the track, I wish I had a 250F. Their powerband is so much smoother. 2strokes are just too pipey. Good to see on here, anytime you want to talk moto, I am here!
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-12-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I am just afraid of dropping a good chunk of change on something that I will be to afraid to ride. We may look into the CRF 230 too. With school being in session right now I won't get getting out there with the boys, but winter break is three weeks long, so maybe sometime in late Dec/early Jan we could meet up with you guys at a local track.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-13-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Any of you ride in Hollister or metcrash ?
Old                11-15-2004, 5:32 AM Reply   
It looks like all of you are from CA.....I'm from the other coast....Georgia.
Amay, I completely agree about 2 Strokes. 4 Strokes are much easier (in my opinion) to ride, especially on a track. I don't want to have to shift a million times just to approach a jump.
I will have to check out mxgirls.com. My husband reads all the stuff on thumpertalk.com, and I guess there is a women's forum called Thumpette, but I've never wanted to say anything on there since I'm still pretty new to MX. I guess it would be good to get some info or ask questions though.
I'm with you and wish I had started out on a 250F instead of the TTR 125. My husband apparently wanted to get me a 250F (my bike was my wedding gift!!), but apparently a bunch of people talked him out of it. They said anything other than the TTR would be too much to start with, especially since I had never ridden before. Now we are both regretting the decision! Oh well....I'm sure the TTR will be very easy to sell.
So far I haven't seen any other girls riding where we go, but it would be cool to find some.
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-15-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Mel, I can understand both the money and the fear factor! I couldn't touch the ground on my bike at first (I am a little vertically challenged) but after modification I can touch one big toe, so we are ok now. I would love to meet up with you guys, schools almost over for me too and I can't wait! Just let me know when you can ride and I will try to meet up with you.
AWW...Bonnie what a great wedding gift! I guess your husband knew best all along but no worries, the TTR shouldn't be too hard to sell. Sometimes men underestimate how tough women can be especially when we are determined. I just shocked the hell out of my man this weekend. I had him follow me on the track and he could believe how much I have improved. I believe there are some girls on that site who are from Georgia and don't worry that site is full of mxgirls of all skill levels and the more the better, it is also nice to have a female support group.
Kim, I believe that is a little too far north of me. Is it anywhere near mammoth or tahoe? we usually make a snowboarding trip up there, that would be cool to bring our bikes and ride up that way.
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
Amay thanks for the site link!

I've wanted to get a dirtbike forever. My dad was convinced I would kill myslef on one. All of my guy friends are still tyring to convince me. Unfortunatly I on't see much use of one in Fl (where I moving in June for college). Still like to look though...

Post some pics!

BTW, I live in Tahoe, so if you come snowboarding let me know!
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-17-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
No prob! I hope you check it out! Yeah I hear ya, my parents bought me a 50 when I was younger but after I out grew it they felt the same way! They were heck no are we getting anything bigger because I am crazy aggresive at everything I do. I wasn't ablw to get another bike till I could afford one on my own (only a year ago) and I think there are some girls from Fl who ride on that site too! FL gots good wakin over there too so you're stoked. Nobody ever takes any pics of me (boyz suc!) but here is one I took of one of them last weekend.
[IMG]http://img72.exs.cx/img72/1100/ridin00003.th.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-18-2004, 12:45 AM Reply   
Sweet pic!

I know you would appreciate this...I made this video from Boardstock. It's mostly freestyle moto-x, along with a few short clips of wakeboarding and the wakesurfing championships...

http://www.420empire.com/videos/J%20Rock%20Rules.wmv
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-18-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
J, thats a great video girl! Thanks for posting! We are riding all weekend I will try to get some more pics to share maybe someone will take one of me. Ah I doubt it oh well.
Bonnie post some pics too!
Old                11-19-2004, 5:03 AM Reply   
Well, I will post some pics as soon as I get some taken
We haven't taken the camera to the track yet, but next time we go I'll pack it. We had planned on going this weekend, but now the weather is going to ruin the plans.....oh well! I honestly don't want to ride a track again until I can get a 250F...I just don't have as much fun on my bike anymore! Listen to me...I sound sooooooooooooo spoiled
P.S. That's a great pic! I love taking action pictures....I shoot a lot of wake pictures.

(Message edited by Wakechick on November 19, 2004)
Old     (nautiquechick04)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-19-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Sweet pictures Amay! I have a 04 CRF50, I'm going to put a 82cc kit in it and higher handlebars, stuff like that. Then in a couple of years I plan on getting a bigger bike too. I used to have a KX80, but somethings went wrong with it and it was going to cost way too much to fix.

Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-19-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Grace! Very cool, I can't wait to get a wittle 50 and hop it up! But I can't afford to dat right now. You know this might not sound good but I have just started looking at diagrams and taking stuff apart to find out who it works! Of course I am blessed with a wonderful man who watches over me to make sure I don't screw something up too bad but I will have to say it feels good to fix things on your own. Parts are expensive though even at a discount (again I am blessed with an awesome man).
Bonnie I feel you girl and its not being spoiled, its understanding that you are at a point where to continue learning you must modify your environment (i.e. bike). Even more so that certain terrian calls for certain equipment. Do you see s jeep trying to race nascar? lol ok you get it! I wish some one take wake pictures too but again I have none.
Old                11-21-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Well, we went to the track yesterday and forgot the camera!! It was kind of a last minute decision...we woke up late, not planning to go because it was supposed to rain. We ended up going and had a great time....the weather was perfect!!! We packed everything in a hurry though and forgot the camera.
I am disappointed that we didn't have the camera, because I learned how to jump doubles!!!!! I did it first on my husband's YZ 400, because I knew it had the power to make it. Then I decided to push my little TTR and made it on that bike too!!! Now of course these are only small 20 foot doubles that aren't too steep, but hey, it's a start right? I never would have imagined I would pick up riding MX so quickly and it's very exciting! Now I am really itching to get that 250F...lol. We have a buddy who is selling his, but we don't have the cash to pay for it right now...grrrrr....haha. He said he is saving it for me though...he just got a CRF 450.
Anyway, just thought I would share my fun day with you girls...did anybody else make it out this weekend?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-22-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
in case you ladies didn't know about it, check out this site. www.mxgirls.com
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-22-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
Ah that always happens to me too! Congrats on jumping doubles girl thats great! Thanks for sharing. Wow, how long have you been riding? We made it out on sat. to a local track where Bubba and Tedesco were freggin blurs around the track. Even though I rode like poop they were really fun to watch.
Old                11-27-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
Amay, been riding since June. I started out just trail riding, then my husband took me to a track and I got hooked! He went riding yesterday, but I didn't get to go because I got called in to work. Oh well!
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-27-2004, 5:15 PM Reply   
Thats hot! I am impressed with your natural talent! I know track it sooooo addicting... I wanted to meet my man after wakeboarding today but it started to rain I know how you feel. I would love to see some pics when you get a chance to ride again.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-28-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
I am so excited. I am getting a 1999 honda xr100 just to learn on and thrash a little. But I am hoping to move up quickly. Any tips would be great.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       12-28-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
anyone know where i could learn how to ride mx? None of my friends feel like taking the time to teach me... And it looks like a lot of fun... Just wondering.
Old                12-29-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
Hmmm, that's tough, Nicole. It sucks that your friends don't want to teach you! I'd say just lay down the law and MAKE them teach you...haha. Seriously though, you want to try and hop on a bike any chance you get and just put around to get used to the feel of it (have you ridden a dirt bike before?). You might want to check into classes, maybe at a local dealership? I know they do classes for learning how to ride street bikes, but not sure about dirt bikes.
Jill, awesome about the Honda XR100! I bet you will have a lot of fun. One tip I'd like to throw out there is to really learn body positioning on your bike, especially on turns. It will help a lot when you want to start going faster. When you want to make a tight turn if you stay on "top" of the bike, meaning don't lean your body the way you are turning, you will be able to make the turn quicker. A good way to learn this is to ride your bike in a small circle kind of slow (fast enough so you don't fall over), and concentrate on keeping your body to the opposite side of the way the bike is turning. As you get more comfortable, make your circle tighter and tighter, and go a little faster. Does this make sense at all to you? I hope so....I know it sounds a little confusing!
Old                12-29-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Amay, here is a picture of my husband - he has been riding for just a little longer than I have. The last time we were out we had the camera, but by the time we thought about it we were both too tired to ride anymore! We are going out on Sunday though, so we'll get some more pictures and I will make him take some of me
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-29-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
Bonnie, thanks so much for the tip. It helps so much just reading it. Can't wait to get on the bike and go.
Old                12-29-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
No problem, Jill! I was hoping you'd be able to understand what I was talking about
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       12-29-2004, 7:04 PM Reply   
Bonnie, no i dont even know how to ride a dirt bike, thats what im saying i want to learn all of this looks like so much fun! I know girls learn to ride will hold a clinic but thats a long ways away, so i was just looking for new ways to entertain myself. Ill have to look a little harder for classes. thanks!
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-30-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
Bonnie thanks for sharing! Thats an awesome pic! Can't wait to see some of yours. I just learned something new and getting my boyfriend to take pictures of me has been a 3 week challenge... maybe this week
Jill congrats! I started on a 100 too they're good whittle bikes! Bonnie has great tips for you. Definetley put around first familiarizing yourself with the hadling of the bike. One thing that helped me when I first started is to get use to using the clutch especially in lower gears, finding exactly where the clutch engages. Clutch and throttle control is essential and will help you progress much faster. And getting to know them right away will help in not stalling your bike and fouling as many plugs as I did. Even though off road bikes such as yours as much more forgiving than mx bikes.
Nicole so sorry that none of friends will teach you. if you were closer I would have no problem teaching you some things. But again Bonnie's suggestions are really good! Looks like you already know about OP's thingy but if there are any local tracks in your area sometimes you can call and they can give you some trainers in the area or if there is any classes. You said it yourself research, research, research. I am a firm believer you can do anything you put your mind to. Good luck!
Old     (fungirl)      Join Date: May 2001       12-30-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Nicole - Too bad you werent closer to Livermore,CA...I would ride with you! I have a DRZ 125 and love it! I only ride with my husband (and he is much better than I) but sometimes I would like to ride with someone at my level (beginner). Anyway if you get a chance to ride a dirtbike do so! They are great!
Old                12-30-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Speaking of girls, I just got my copy of Overdue by Obrien from Wakeside. While the price was right at under $20, you would be better off buying a copy of Girls Gone Wild, a jar of chunky peanut butter and smearing the peanut butter on your nuts and let your dog, squirrel, mongoose or whatever furry animal you can find lick it off! I'm not saying that some of the riding wasn't good...it was...but I stopped halfway through to increase the excitement by changing the channel to reruns of Facts of Life to see if I could see some tail under Blair's skirt! Sorry, Obrien, there is a reason you are the forgotten Team, I figure it should be next year or the year after at the latest that Dallas signs with a real team. However, if you are interested in a home-cam, grainy, independant, sundance reject hunk of crap film, call my mom and she will film your next family Christmas party!
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       01-01-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
fungirl, where is livermore? I think i may have to go there for an interview... Im not sure i know thats where the human resources department is but i may be going somewhere else, closer, for the interview... But just wondering anyway.
Old     (fungirl)      Join Date: May 2001       01-02-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
Nicole - Livermore is near Dublin, Pleasanton and San Ramon...off hwy 580. In the Bay Area...somewhat near Oakland.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
fungirl, I live in Livermore, Ca. I am totally bummmed because I was suppose to buy the honda xr100 over the weekend but the guy sold it. So now I am keeping my eyes out for another deal because I have always wanted to ride.
Old     (fungirl)      Join Date: May 2001       01-03-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Jill~ That sucks! I hope you find another bike soon! What level rider are you? Im beginner.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-04-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
I am a beginner rider as well. If anyone sees any good deals on beginner bikes let me know.
Old                01-04-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
Jill, too bad we live on opposite coasts - I am selling my Yamaha TTR125 LE. It's a great beginner bike!
Old                01-05-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
Alright, finally got some pictures taken of me at the track last weekend. They are sort of far away, but oh well!

Old                01-05-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
And one more, kinda small:

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey - for learning opportunities y'all might check out www.girlslearntoride.com

it is sponsored by OP and they have all sorts of extreme sports clinics. I went to a wakeboarding one last year in Indianapolis and it was top notch. I didn't notice that they had any motox listed right now but as spring approaches I'm sure they will.
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-05-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Bonnie those are great!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you girl, skying those jumps That first one is huge! I like the last one where you are smoking that guy behind you . Atta girl! BTW that track looks really fun. All our tracks are under water right now and have been for the last couple weeks. It makes me sad I got new boots for Xmas and haven't got to wear them yet but your pics are making me vicariously happy. At least you get to ride .
Old                01-06-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Awww, that sucks that you can't even use your new boots yet! Luckily we haven't had a ton of rain yet this winter so the tracks are good. This one (Aonia Pass) is probably my favorite so far of all the tracks we have been to. There were only 2 or 3 jumps that I couldn't make. I am riding my husband's YZ400F (no way my TTR would make it around the track!!!!) and am still waiting to get my 250F! We almost went out and bought one the other day, but decided we needed to try and save a little more money. Hopefully soon! Do you have any pics of you riding, Amay?
Old     (nkrn8)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-06-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
No My BF is way to busy riding to take any pics of me. I understand but it still stinks... maybe I should steel his 450 and take it for a few laps... then he has no choice but to be behaind the camera . I recently just found some girlies to ride with so maybe they will take some of me. Unfortunately it will not stop raining long enough to dry out our tracks and our bodies of water are too concentrated with bacteria becuase of run off. Expecting another 5 days of wetness. I am on vacation and all I have done so far is froze my bum off in the snow trying to snowboard while it is snowing and really windy. NOT COOL. I was so spoiled being able to enjoy all three of my fav sports in one weekend to know none. I suppose it could be worse. Will you keep me posted on your riding... it makes me feel better that one of is busting out a few motos. . Looking foward to the opening of the supercross season in Anahiem this weekend. It is suppose to be raining... should make for an interesting race.
Old     (nautiquechick04)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-07-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
Sweet pics Bonnie, you are rippin out there! I have a few pics of me on my 50, I look like a giant on that bike, but its so much fun. I ordered my handlebar kit, so I'm hoping it gets here before I have to go back to college. I'm buying a bigger bike later on this year, so I can finally do some track riding. I'm so excited, I just have to save up some money!

(Message edited by nautiquechick04 on January 07, 2005)
Old     (nautiquechick04)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-07-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
Oops here is one more...
Old                01-10-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
Awesome Grace! 50s are a lot of fun to play on! It seems as though money (or lack thereof!) is always the reason we can't have the toys we want! I am still waiting to get my 250F, and it gets harder and harder every time we ride! The last time we were at the track (in my pictures) I rode my TTR one time the entire day. The rest of the time my husband and I shared his bike!
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Ok I finally got my Honda XR100 over the weekend. It is only a 1997, but it is the thrasher I need to get experience. It's old but barely ridden and is in great condition. Wish me luck for my first ride. Any tips on where I can get some inexpensive, but good riding gear would be great.