Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (bilbong30)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
Hey,

I am a pretty new rider. I started riding about 1 month ago. Been going about 4-5 times a week though. Got a new malibu wakesetter so i have to put it to use :-)
My question is this...I weigh about 225 and am about 6 foot 3. I currently have a Hyperlite TFD 142 but am looking to go with the parks now. I hear you get alot more pop. I am comfortable on boards as low as 133. I can get up on any board and any size over 133. Should I stick to a board in the 140's or should i go for a 138? How do i know what one to pick? Will the pop be different? What one is better for me and my size?

Thanks!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
I'd say 140 or bigger for sure. Also, the Parks isn't the only board with huge pop. You might want to demo one. I hated it, just like a large portion of the people who ride it.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-16-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
My brother and wife both have the Parks board. I ride the Premier. Not one of the three of us can figure out how to get the Parks board way up in the air. I understand that there is a way to unlock that huge pop - but we cant figure it out.

Also, get the 142 - you are way too big for anything under 140. I am 180lbs and have ridden just fine on a 131 when it was the only board in the boat but it isnt the right fit for my size.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-16-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
I mean the 143 - sorry.
Old    wuneyewilly            09-16-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
I have the 143 Parks at 175lbs. and 6'0". I love the board, though it did take a couple trips to get there. Also have the DNA Premier and it is rarely ridden now. Apparently not for everyone and I am by no means close to pro, but definately love it!

(Message edited by wuneyewilly on September 16, 2003)
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-16-2003, 11:40 PM Reply   
The Parks is a 3-stage, so you really have to have your fundamentals down to unlock it's full potential. Continuous rocker boards are more consistent pop-wise, but they tend to give you less pop than if you ride a 3-stage correctly.

I noticed the difference in pop as soon as I rode the Parks...it really boots you. I think that since I used to ride a Project (to get good pop on that you really had to over-emphasize standing tall at the top of the wake) it helped me get consistent pop on the parks. I still suck, but I do get more pop. Standing tall and digging your heels in is the key to good pop.

Like it was said above...definitely demo the board first. It is a pretty advanced board an a lot of people hate it. For the way I ride though, I loved it.

Oh...and go for the 143. 138 is probably too small for how big you are. 143 will be much more stable and will land softer.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2003, 11:45 PM Reply   
You can get just as much height on a continous rocker board than a 3-stage. It all depends on your riding style. But I say go for the 143.

(Message edited by kristian on September 16, 2003)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-17-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
Kristian is right - look at the height the pros get with continuous.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-17-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
Yea, but look at Parks as compared to the other pros! (Just Kidding)

You're probably right...but for me I get at least 1-2 feet more upward lift when I ride a 3-stage. But it probably is just the I ride. I think the 3-stage is more of a bucking type pop where the continuous is a smoother release.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-17-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Dan and Adam - here is the problem that I see:

Adam is new to the sport. He needs to learn to be consistant in his jumps. 3-stage rockers give a huge bucking pop off of the wake (I used to ride a byerly) and it is difficult to control and very difficult to be consistant. Consistancy is what a beginner needs.

I recommend looking into a subtle 3-stage and getting real good at it before going for the abrupt 3-stage.

maybe wuneyewillie will sell his premier (maybe I'd buy it too) - how much willie?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-17-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
It cracks me up - marketing sure does work!

The parks board is probably one of the most unforgiving difficult boards for the average rider, yet people line up to buy it.