Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-07-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
Ok. I have a problem. I bought a SD2 to replace my syn2. I swapped the two and have no power to the SD2. Couldn't figure it out so I swapped back to the syn2 and everything works again. It's running 4 rev10's.. I can't even get the SD2 to power up.

HELP
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-08-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Did you check the fuses in the amp?
Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
Did you check the fuses in the amp?
Yes. All good.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-08-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
My only other suggestion (other than the amp may be bad) is to check your remote turn on lead. A few years back I had 3 Fosgate amps with the remote turn on leads wired straight to the head unit. Wouldn't turn the amps on. I then wired them through a relay and everything worked great.
Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2014, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
My only other suggestion (other than the amp may be bad) is to check your remote turn on lead. A few years back I had 3 Fosgate amps with the remote turn on leads wired straight to the head unit. Wouldn't turn the amps on. I then wired them through a relay and everything worked great.

Maybe this is where the problem is (forgive my ignorance I know almost nothing about electrical). My original setup was a syn6 to run the boat speakers and a syn2 to run the tower speakers. I added 2 additional Rev10's to the tower so I upgraded the syn2 to a SD2. The remote power wire is ran from the syn6 remote power to the syn2 remote power and works fine. Is that something I have to change with the SD2?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-08-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Not necessarily but that could be the issue. so if I am understanding you right, your remote turn on lead comes from the head unit to the SYN 6 and then is daisy chained over to the other amp? if so, try disconnecting the turn on lead from the 6 and run it over to the SD 2 by itself (leaving the SYN 6 unconnected)

then turn the system on and see If the amp turns on.

IMO the best way to handle the remote turn on leads in a multi amp system is to connect the remote lead coming off the head unit to a relay and then running off the relay over to the amps into a small distribution block and then feeding each amp with a separate lead off the dist block.
Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Not necessarily but that could be the issue. so if I am understanding you right, your remote turn on lead comes from the head unit to the SYN 6 and then is daisy chained over to the other amp? if so, try disconnecting the turn on lead from the 6 and run it over to the SD 2 by itself (leaving the SYN 6 unconnected)

then turn the system on and see If the amp turns on.

IMO the best way to handle the remote turn on leads in a multi amp system is to connect the remote lead coming off the head unit to a relay and then running off the relay over to the amps into a small distribution block and then feeding each amp with a separate lead off the dist block.
Ok. I'll try that when I get home. Thank you. What kind of relay are you talking about? Again I know just enough to get into trouble here lol. I do know what a distribution block it though...

Thanks again
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-08-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
Just a regular 5 pin automotive relay.. can pick one up at most any parts store.

http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-...m_campaign=pla

wire it like this
Attached Images

Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
Wow... Thank you...
Old     (cek)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-08-2014, 9:27 PM Reply   
Got it. It was a chassis fuse. Thanks for the help.