Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-08-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
I am reworking the ballast system in a 2000 air nautique. I realize that pretty much everyone goes with flexible tubing, but is there any specific reason to no use pvc pipe? It is so much cheaper and seems like it could make for a very clean install.

My thoughts as to why someone may not use it:
1) may become brittle
2) may knock around in boat crack
3) harder to work around once installed (e.g., can just move a flexible tube out of the way
4) More prone to cracking during a freeze if not completely drained
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-08-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I think you just about nailed it. Installation is easier with with flexible tubing as well and allows for movement as bags fill and empty.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-08-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
Just use Flex PVC. You can still use Blue Glue.

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?pr...VC_Pipe_1_inch
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies.

Jacob, that is good reminder. I saw some of that at Home Depot a coule of weeks ago and forgot all about it. Seems like a reaonable price per foot.

Thanks.

Last edited by cdrymalla; 08-09-2010 at 6:08 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
glued / cemented/ soldered connections are not coast guard approved because, the amount of vibrations seen in a boat over time can cause those types of connections to fail. Thats why all plumbing from the factory is hose, hose barb, hose clamp.