Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hoochyglidaa)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Has anyone towed with the Ford Edge SE (base model). Ford doesn't offer the tow package in the SE model, but my company doesn't allow us to upgrade to the better packages (SEL, Limited). From what I've been told all the tow package adds is a larger radiator and factory hitch.

I'll be towing a 98 Moomba Mobius (2,100 lbs plus trailer). Am I okay to add my own hitch and tow without the "tow package"?
Old     (bmeter719)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think you should be good, you will have sag in the rear suspension, we have one and tow a 3,500 pound boat, and it does the job. We have a AWD Limited model without tow package, we just installed a class 3 hitch. We could make a 400 mile trip with it. The reason we had alot of sag was the hitch is so low on the car when you dont order the tow package because when you order it Ford puts it in the rear bumper.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
What's the weight rating with the Edge tow package? If it's the same engine, and similar everything else, I'd say you can tow around that weight. Otherwise, it will tow, but not the greatest
Old     (hoochyglidaa)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
On a seperate note, how do you like your edge in general?

The edge is rated at 2,000 lbs towing capacity without tow package. I think they rate it at 3,500 lbs with tow package. I'm assuming Ford leaves some room for movement on the 2,000 lbs? They have to assume people (like myself) are going to try and push the limit... It is the same engine across all models.
Old     (bmeter719)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
I think its a good car, but I mean we have all the options and stuff so I don't know how to compare to base model. It drives fairly well and its pretty comfterable, although the engine has a tiny bit of loudness to it. Over all a good car. Does your company offer any other ford choices, like the flex, taurus, escape and things or do they only offer edge?
Old     (hoochyglidaa)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
We can get any Ford model we want. I have an 09 Escape now, but am not super thrilled with it. I feel like the Edge gives you more car. Basically the budget they allow is in the range for a loaded escape or base model edge. I haven't really looked into any of the other vehicles to be honest.
Old     (bmeter719)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
If you are really wanting a little more tow power, look at the flex, I dont know how much extra it will cost you but it does tow better than a edge, even though it looks like a hearse. It can tow up to 4,500 pounds, thats probably with tow package and AWD, but still a base model flex will prbably out tow a base model edge.