Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Is there anyone out there familiar with the Lakeland area of Florida?
I am particularly interested in knowing if Lake Gibson and Lake Hancock are good wakeboarding lakes. Any other input relative to that area is welcome as well!
Thanks
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-27-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto96s View Post
Is there anyone out there familiar with the Lakeland area of Florida?
I am particularly interested in knowing if Lake Gibson and Lake Hancock are good wakeboarding lakes. Any other input relative to that area is welcome as well!
Thanks
I dont live too far away and have spent many of days working in lakeland. Quick google search came with Lake Hancock average depth 4' (4500 acres) and Gibson at average of 6.6' (490 acres).

What kind of boat you running? I know they fish well bc Ive seen many fishing boats out there. Havent seen any wakeboarders when ive been passing by.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have an old 96 Centurion Elite V.
I am looking for an area to retire in, and Lakeland still has some pretty attractive pricing for housing. Lake front is out of reach for me, but I don't mind trailering 15 mins to a lake. Was told by a real estate agent that Gibson was a prime waterski/wakeboard lake, but have never heard anyone here on the forums mention that area. I don't really want to be in Orlando, and Clermont seems to be a little higher price wise, but more lake options?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-27-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
Clermont and Orlando areas have alot of lakes. McCormicks in Seffner is a great cable park too.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-27-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
I have friends who ski for their collegiate teams on Lake Hollingsworth in lakeland which the average depth is around4'. But they also have DD Nautiques and are not loading it down with ballast or have I/O. I can look more into it for you. I'll be in Lakeland this week again.

I would recommend Winter Haven though. Lots of lakes around all for watersports.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
Thanks you guys!
Not much of a cable guy. Would much rather be behind the boat. Lakeland looks nice because of prices, and not too far from Orlando or Tampa. Also have Winter Haven next door and I think there is alot of wakeboarding in that area. Maybe I better give Winter Haven another look. Those depths on Gibson and especially Hancock don't sound great.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-27-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Was adding my W Haven piece when you typed up your reaponse lol
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
I'd say great minds think alike, but mine is pretty worn out, lol.....
I will start a search in Winter Haven and look through Clermont area again.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if I saw it here first, but with 5' deep water my wake is really crappy as opposed to 8' deep water. 10 feet better yet. Depth counts!