Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-02-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
So...I'm going to FL to visit family in a couple weeks and I'm planning on hitting up OWC, and I'm pretty excited about it. I ride at KC watersports, and I just started wakeboarding about mid way through last summer, so I really only have about 3 months experience. I learned air tricks towards the end of the season and I was pretty stoked about it. Everyone there was really helpful and supportive while I was learning. However....I read an article that frequently mentioned "cable-shaking air trickers" as if it was sort of rude to do air tricks at the cable....and I don't want to look like a jerk when I go to OWC...so what's the general deal with air tricks at the cable?

Also, will I need a wetsuit this time of year? I'm planning on going January 18-21.

(Message edited by jealous_soul on January 02, 2008)
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-02-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
I don't see why... when I went in October I'd see the good guys doing air tricks. And from what they said about the weather maybe just a top... I think people in Florida just freak out about cold more than anyone else because its never cold down there...You'll be fine.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
It's in the low 40's today and supposed to be in the 20's tonight. We should be back to boardshort weather next week. Do your air tricks in the middle of the last two corners and not in the straight aways. It jerks the cable around when people are trying to hit rails.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-02-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
did you read that article on cablewakboard.com? I think half of that article was BS. It said things like don't carve around like you're surfing and other bogus stuff. The wind makes more chop than the rider 50 yards in front of you. I think it's fine to do air trick where and when you want. I mean I could understand if it jerked really hard, but you have to put a big load to get the cable to jerk.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-02-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
well...I'm a bit of a bigger guy so maybe I do yank the cable pretty hard (ha). but yeah, I did read the article on cablewakeboard.com and it sounded like a load of crap to me....but what do I know.

anyway, so I should be ok with just a spring suit then?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-02-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
hey your paying to use the cable just like the next guy right? so i say screw em and do what you like.
Old    tythurston            01-02-2008, 10:04 PM Reply   
^^ VERY TRUE. If they want to bitch about you yank the cable then they can wait till you fall/done. You paid for it just as much as they did. I dont mean this to be rude or anything but seriously. Thats like complaining about peoples music in THEIR boats on a PUBLIC lake. Sorry to get off subject.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Please...use some common courtesy. It makes life more enjoyable for all. This sport needs more of it.

Brinks knows what he is talking about, do your airs between the last two corners. Don't be that guy.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-03-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Jerry when are you coming back to Orlando?
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-03-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I can't believe how much wakeboarder's cry. Make sure that while you are there not to go off any of the big stuff are catch an edge because that will pull the cable too! I see people miss stuff all the time and the handle gets shot out like a cannon. Maybe they shouldn't do that. I mean really shut up and ride. Maybe even try to smile and have a little fun. Hey JD if you can go kill it out there I will clap for you. You can even ride right in front of me or behind me. Have a good time man and if you need a pull we are 10 min from OWC.}
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Scott, thanks for the kind words and the offer, I'm definitely looking forward to the trip.

I'll try not to be that guy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-03-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
I've shaken the cable many a time. Don't worry about it. I've been on the receiving end of a few ill timed shakes too. It's all part of the fun.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
The way I look at it is if you fall on a rail because the cable shook it just gives you more incentive to go back out there and stomp it again. The chances of falling twice in a row from someone else shaking the cable are slim and none. Go out there and have fun, Ive been to OWC five times and have had great expierences everytime.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
Brett...I don't know but I would love to get back there sometime soon. Maybe the surf expo next year. I'll look you up for sure.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-03-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Exactly, If I'm paying then I will do whatever the hell I want (as long is I'm being reasonable)....if somebody has a problem then they can come see me
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-04-2008, 2:38 AM Reply   
Wow! Well if people are going to be that fussy, come over here to Aus! I can't believe that people are whinging about air tricks. I get stoked seeing them and as far as I'm concerned if you can't handle someone shaking the cable you need to get out more. Tell them to man up! Is that harsh?
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-04-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
Go for your air when you want to and your comfortable. Go out, have fun and enjoy yourself - wakeboarders can be such prima donnas sometimes.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-04-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
you'll never hear any of the cable operators at TSR tell you when and where to do air tricks. Their only concern is popping the handle...especially popping it in to the motor tower. If you fall let go...don't pop.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-04-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
i'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings anyway and I never pop the handle as it is. so hopefully, i can just remember how to do them now...ha.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-04-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I think a bigger "problem"(maybe just a pet peeve) is when people just ride down the middle of the rail cable. Even when not hitting an obstacle, one should go towards one so that the wakes aren't hitting the rail or right in front of it for the next person. This is all my opinion of course.